Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110

Is Lewis Brinson near the worst top 15 busts? He's in his 4 season of ABs in the Majors and become a pinch hitter essentially. Now in that 4 seasons of time he's finally accumulated a full season's worth of PAs and sits at .530 OPS and a value of Negative -3.4 BWAR

In no way can you think the Brewers lost on this trade, and where in rankings all time should this trade be ranked? Better than the CC Sabathia trade?

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Lewis Brinson near the worst top 15 busts? He's in his 4 season of ABs in the Majors and become a pinch hitter essentially. Now in that 4 seasons of time he's finally accumulated a full season's worth of PAs and sits at .530 OPS and a value of Negative -3.4 BWAR

In no way can you think the Brewers lost on this trade, and where in rankings all time should this trade be ranked? Better than the CC Sabathia trade?

He's still only 26 and got rushed a bit by the Marlins, so I'm still pulling for him and hope he turns it around. But yeah, it hasn't been pretty. I was curious so I looked on Fangraphs: among non-pitchers with at least 700+ PA in their career, Brinson currently has the fifth lowest wOBA of the post-1900 era. Right ahead of fellow top-prospect-bust Brandon Wood.

We won the trade no matter what though. Two MVP-caliber seasons for Yelich that carried us to the playoffs? Unless I'm forgetting something obvious, easily the best trade in franchise history.

He's still only 26 and got rushed a bit by the Marlins, so I'm still pulling for him and hope he turns it around. But yeah, it hasn't been pretty. I was curious so I looked on Fangraphs: among non-pitchers with at least 700+ PA in their career, Brinson currently has the fifth lowest wOBA of the post-1900 era. Right ahead of fellow top-prospect-bust Brandon Wood.

We won the trade no matter what though. Two MVP-caliber seasons for Yelich that carried us to the playoffs? Unless I'm forgetting something obvious, easily the best trade in franchise history.

The Sabathia trade is probably the only one that is close. However, Brantley turned out to be a stud, so right now I would put the Yelich trade at #1.

I would take the CC trade only because it was franchise changing in regard to us being such a losing franchise. Without CC, playoffs don’t exist in 2008 and I think that was the spark in Milwaukee to help us do what we did moving forward. Once you get a taste...
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would take the CC trade only because it was franchise changing in regard to us being such a losing franchise. Without CC, playoffs don’t exist in 2008 and I think that was the spark in Milwaukee to help us do what we did moving forward. Once you get a taste...

I second this. While the 2007 season showed some glimmer of hope, the big trade deadline acquisition that season was Scott Linebrink, who, spoiler alert, did not prove to be the missing piece to put us over the edge. We always seemed to be taking the cautious approach to things.

The acquisition of CC was so shocking because the Brewers of the past would never have made that move.

in 2006 for thinking we could get Johan Santana. Then we actually went out and GOT a stud pitcher in CC Sabathia. And then he basically dragged us to the playoffs by himself. Truly incredible.

Unless I'm forgetting something obvious, easily the best trade in franchise history.

what about the gorman thomas "trade" to the rangers in 1977? if they don't get him back, there's no gorman thomas on the brewers from 1978 - 1983.

The CC trade wasn’t even that good in the grand scheme. They gave up a pretty good player in Brantley who went on to have 3 AS appearances, a Top 3 MVP finish, and 24 WAR with the Indians before moving on to the Astros. The Brewers got CC for half a year and got booted out of the playoffs first round as a wild card team.

I’m not saying any Brewers fan would go back and veto the trade from happening, but it’s hardly some kind of robbery success story. It’s not even in the same universe when it comes to how good the Yelich trade has ended up.

Lewis Brinson: -3.4 WAR

Isan Diaz: -0.9 WAR

Jordan Yamamoto: 0.4 WAR

Christian Yelich: 14.1 WAR

It’s quite possible the Marlins gave up a future HOFer in their peak for a package of players that will end up giving them a negative overall WAR. So far the Marlins would have been better off just giving Yelich away.

I wasn’t alive with the dinosaurs like some of you so this may be bias towards the 21st century, but after the Yelich trade the Gomez trade has to be up there. Hader looks to be one of the best relief pitchers of his generation. Houser looks to be a very good pitcher whether that be in the pen or starting. Domingo Santana was solid bat for years and his double in Game 163 is arguably one of the bigger hits in Brewers history. What did the Astros get? A negative WAR from Gomez while he was there.

The CC trade wasn’t even that good in the grand scheme. They gave up a pretty good player in Brantley who went on to have 3 AS appearances, a Top 3 MVP finish, and 24 WAR with the Indians before moving in to the Astros. The Brewers got CC for half a year and got booted out of the playoffs first round as a wild card team.

I’m not saying any Brewers fan would go back and veto the trade from happening, but it’s hardly some kind of robbery success story. It’s not even in the same universe when it comes to how good the Yelich trade has ended up.

It’s quite possible the Marlins gave up a future HOFer in their peak for a package of players that will end up giving them a negative overall WAR. So far the Marlins would have been better off just giving Yelich away.

Monte Harrison may end up being the best of all of them. He's got a -.1 WAR in 23 ABs so far in his MLB career.

I think it's fair to note the importance of the CC trade from a franchise standpoint, as it was the first time the team had made the playoffs in decades as noted, but also put Milwaukee back on the map so to speak as a team willing to acquire big-name players to make a run as necessary. It's very fair to weigh that heavily.

But for value to the franchise, TPlush is right that it's likely that the Yelich trade will be the Brewers' equivalent of trading for Brett Favre.

Community Moderator
The Yelich extension might end up being more transformational than the trade. It's easy to forget how disgruntled much of the fanbase was back in Jan-Feb, and many of us were starting to draw up trade ideas for Yelich with the assumption that he was headed out the door.

The Sabathia trade is probably the only one that is close. However, Brantley turned out to be a stud, so right now a would put the Yelich trade at #1.

This one should get a mention.....

On Dec. 12, 1980, the Brewers acquire catcher Ted Simmons, pitcher Pete Vuckovich and closer Rollie Fingers in exchange for outfielders Sixto Lezcano and David Green and pitchers Lary Sorensen and Dave LaPoint.

The CC trade and the games after that were the most exciting time in my life as a Brewers fan.

I was so excited I immediately went online & bought tickets when his first start was announced.

Texted my buddy to let him know & he texted back, "um, we already have that game in our 20 pack."

The CC trade wasn’t even that good in the grand scheme. They gave up a pretty good player in Brantley who went on to have 3 AS appearances, a Top 3 MVP finish, and 24 WAR with the Indians before moving on to the Astros. The Brewers got CC for half a year and got booted out of the playoffs first round as a wild card team.

I wasn’t alive with the dinosaurs like some of you so this may be bias towards the 21st century, but after the Yelich trade the Gomez trade has to be up there. Hader looks to be one of the best relief pitchers of his generation. Houser looks to be a very good pitcher whether that be in the pen or starting. Domingo Santana was solid bat for years and his double in Game 163 is arguably one of the bigger hits in Brewers history. What did the Astros get? A negative WAR from Gomez while he was there.

Yamato gave up 3 ER in 1 1/3 innings today against the Mets. His season ERA is 11.42(in only two starts). He was optioned to the Marlins alternate camp after the game. Fangraphs had his career WAR at 0.7 prior to today's start. 0.9 for last season and -.2 for this season. He's still only 24 so he'll get some more shots but that hot start last season is looking more like a fluke.

Lewis Brinson misplayed a ball in LF yesterday that led to the first Braves run. The Marlins were shutout yesterday so can't exactly blame the loss on Brinson but this sure didn't help. The play is at 4:28 in the video. Brinson is 26 and has 729 plate appearances in the bigs with a .182/.238/.290 slash line. If he can't even play decent defense in the OF it would appear that even a career as a 4th/5th OF similar to Keon Broxton is out of the question.

I second this. While the 2007 season showed some glimmer of hope, the big trade deadline acquisition that season was Scott Linebrink, who, spoiler alert, did not prove to be the missing piece to put us over the edge. We always seemed to be taking the cautious approach to things.

The acquisition of CC was so shocking because the Brewers of the past would never have made that move.

in 2006 for thinking we could get Johan Santana. Then we actually went out and GOT a stud pitcher in CC Sabathia. And then he basically dragged us to the playoffs by himself. Truly incredible.

Nice on the Youtube. Best part is bottom right is headline Wisconsin win Men's Hockey Championship.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

while a lot of people bring up losing Brantley in the CC trade, he wasn't even the centerpiece of that trade and wasn't a highly valued prospect at the time. That is just the cost of doing business.

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. As it stands right now we got a potential future Hall of famer and an already one times MVP for four guys who look like negative value WAR players.

trading, just like everything in baseball that has to do with player acquisition, is an inexact science. You win, you lose, sometimes both parties are happy. Through the lens of time the CC trade looks all right to me. We went to the playoffs, that season was fun. a lot of people think that revitalized the franchise. I don't know about that. There's no way to put a value on that. I don't know if that's true or not. But the memories are fun to look back on.

sometimes both parties are happy

This should be the goal of every trade and business deal. The best negotiations are the ones where both parties come away pleased. The goal is not to rip off the other side.

This is a baseball team, the goal should definitely be to rip the other team off. If we think a player is going to be a bust, but some team think he is a Top 50 prospect are we suppose to tell them that and offer the player as a throw in?

The goal should be to gain the most perceived value while giving up the least amount of perceived value. According to our own valuations of course. Make the worst offer possible that the other team will accept. Of course at the time of a trade it probably will never look like you are ripping off a team. I doubt even Stearns expected all these guys to flop so much.

And I don’t mean rip off like try to sneak them some pitcher who is about to blow out his elbow or try to trade them someone we know has serious mental/drug problems and is about to implode as a baseball player. That would be wrong.

The goal should be to gain the most perceived value while giving up the least amount of perceived value. According to our own valuations of course. Make the worst offer possible that the other team will accept. Of course at the time of a trade it probably will never look like you are ripping off a team. I doubt even Stearns expected all these guys to flop so much.

I think you're nitpicking a bit over terminology. I think you're 100% correct that the goal should always be to get as much as possible while giving at little as possible. But the result of that is a deal that accomplishes whatever the goal is of both the teams, meaning that a deal's 'winner' isn't decided in the moment, but rather 3-5-10-whatever years later when the results of the goals are actually apparent. Sometimes, it works out fine for both sides over both the short and long-terms.

Whenever this thread gets bumped, it’s always a blast to read the first few pages. So much certainty.

Yep.

Amazing how many people here hated this trade when it happened.

Questions are a burden.   And answers a prison for one's self.

Whenever this thread gets bumped, it’s always a blast to read the first few pages. So much certainty.

Yep.

Amazing how many people here hated this trade when it happened.

I cringe more at people bowing to HighHeat19 like he really knew any more than the rest of us.

• 5 months later...

This being bumped made me go through the first pages, always fun to see reactions in hindsight. Mostly positive, some only cautiously so, some slightly negative and then there are those who absolutely hated it.

"Awful awful trade. I hate it. Dear god what an awful trade."

"Too much, hate this deal. Really hate it."

"I feel violated."

Not meant to call anyone out (Hence not quoting the actual posts with usernames), it's more about how different our views can be when we all have the same information to go on. But since it was mostly positive reactions, at least we were correct as a group in the end. Wade Miley signing thread is interesting as well, can't remember any thread with a wider gulf between the (hugely negative) reactions and the actual (very good) performance.

Archived