Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110
At least Brinson is floundering. You don't want the team you traded with to go 4 for 4.

Why not? I wanted all four players to succeed when they were Brewers & hope they all have productive Major League careers (as long as they aren't Cubs or Cardinals).

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yamamoto with his worst start of his mlb career the other night. He still isnt get hit much and is striking guys out but walks are his problem. The reports I read are that he doesn't have top end stuff so he relies on hitting corners. He is probably nibbling too much. The question is if he starts leaving balls over the plate will the hits start coming in bunches.

Diaz got on another hot streak to end the month of June. He could be a solid player.

Harrison has a nice hit streak going. He continues to strikeout at least once a game. I just don't know if that translates well going forward.

A couple of non-Yamamoto notes:

- Harrison and Diaz were both selected for the Futures Game for the Marlins

Diaz has had a phenomenal season in AAA so far. He deserves it. He's well on his way to being a top 100 again.

At least Brinson is floundering. You don't want the team you traded with to go 4 for 4.

compare Diaz's 2019 in AAA to Saladino's, and you'll soon realize a TON of minor leaguers are having a phenomenal 2019. Including Diaz in that trade meant the Brewers were committed to Hiura at 2B instead of Diaz since their development timeframes were essentially identical - I'll make that same decision every single time.

Until all these prospects actually become productive everyday MLB players, it's way too early to heap praise on them. In fact I'd say the odds are still stacked towards only one or possibly 2 of these four prospects developing into an MLB starter that has a career that reaches through the 1st 6 years of team control and into unrestricted free agency. That pretty much means the Brewers robbed the Marlins of one of the top 5 players in the entire world through his prime, who is making less than most veteran #5 starters.

A couple of non-Yamamoto notes:

- Harrison and Diaz were both selected for the Futures Game for the Marlins

Diaz has had a phenomenal season in AAA so far. He deserves it. He's well on his way to being a top 100 again.

compare Diaz's 2019 in AAA to Saladino's, and you'll soon realize a TON of minor leaguers are having a phenomenal 2019. Including Diaz in that trade meant the Brewers were committed to Hiura at 2B instead of Diaz since their development timeframes were essentially identical - I'll make that same decision every single time.

Until all these prospects actually become productive everyday MLB players, it's way too early to heap praise on them. In fact I'd say the odds are still stacked towards only one or possibly 2 of these four prospects developing into an MLB starter that has a career that reaches through the 1st 6 years of team control and into unrestricted free agency. That pretty much means the Brewers robbed the Marlins of one of the top 5 players in the entire world through his prime, who is making less than most veteran #5 starters.

I don't think that means the Brewers robbed them at all. I doubt any team trades for that many minor leaguers thinking all of them are going to pan out. They get that many so they have a better chance of getting any of them to pan out. Then there is the issue of timing. If one pans out during a span where the Marlins have other young talent hitting their stride that one player will do far more towards them actually winning something than Yelich was going to do over the life of his contract when there was little else on the team to help them win. The timing of a prospect's arrival I think plays at least as important a role as overall productivity.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Yamamoto just keeps rolling along...

Jordan Yamamoto was outstanding in a no-decision against the Braves on Friday, striking out seven over six shutout innings.

The right-hander scattered just two hits and three walks on the night. The 23-year-old has been phenomenal through his first five starts with the Marlins, registering a 1.86 ERA, 0.93 WHIP and 30/15 K/BB ratio across 29 innings.

Jul 6, 2019, 12:59 AM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

compare Diaz's 2019 in AAA to Saladino's, and you'll soon realize a TON of minor leaguers are having a phenomenal 2019.

There's a huge difference between a just turned 23 year old putting up big numbers in AAA than an almost 30 year old.

compare Diaz's 2019 in AAA to Saladino's, and you'll soon realize a TON of minor leaguers are having a phenomenal 2019.

There's a huge difference between a just turned 23 year old putting up big numbers in AAA than an almost 30 year old.

Maybe but also maybe not. Time will tell on that one.

Maybe but also maybe not. Time will tell on that one.

No, it won't. Age matters as well as position (ie catchers typically take longer to develop than other positions given the defensive side of that role). Diaz is a bat first ex-top 100 prospect who's always had the offensive upside of an AS at the 2b spot. Saladino, like Perez, is what he is. In saying that, not all 25th man players are created equal. AAA offense is up across the board this year but that doesn't mean every player is overachieving.

No, it won't. Age matters as well as position (ie catchers typically take longer to develop than other positions given the defensive side of that role). Diaz is a bat first ex-top 100 prospect who's always had the offensive upside of an AS at the 2b spot. Saladino, like Perez, is what he is. In saying that, not all 25th man players are created equal. AAA offense is up across the board this year but that doesn't mean every player is overachieving.

Exactly, age matters. If a 20 year old is tearing up AAA, every evaluator is going to be more impressed than if a 26 year old is doing it. Wander Franco isn't the best prospect in baseball because he's hitting .341/.410/.560 between A and A+. He's the best prospect in baseball because he's hitting that well (in addition to being an average at worst defender at the most premium defensive position) as an 18 year old.

Exactly, age matters. If a 20 year old is tearing up AAA, every evaluator is going to be more impressed than if a 26 year old is doing it. Wander Franco isn't the best prospect in baseball because he's hitting .341/.410/.560 between A and A+. He's the best prospect in baseball because he's hitting that well (in addition to being an average at worst defender at the most premium defensive position) as an 18 year old.

And putting too much stock in a small sample size of anyone's minor league performance at any level and age is foolhardy, particularly when there is a larger track record tied to a prospect or player that indicates they aren't likely to be as good as a two month stretch of at bats indicates. Guys like Diaz and Harrison have been pretty good this year, but both are coming off relatively poor 2018's, and neither were ever considered even top 25-ish prospects even during their best stretches. And it's not like either are 18 years old. Including wander franco in this conversation to make a point is pointless.

And putting too much stock in a small sample size of anyone's minor league performance at any level and age is foolhardy, particularly when there is a larger track record tied to a prospect or player that indicates they aren't likely to be as good as a two month stretch of at bats indicates. Guys like Diaz and Harrison have been pretty good this year, but both are coming off relatively poor 2018's, and neither were ever considered even top 25-ish prospects even during their best stretches. And it's not like either are 18 years old. Including wander franco in this conversation to make a point is pointless.

This right here proves you don't get it and most likely never will because you're actively choosing to not understand reality. What's pointless is essentially saying that one needs to be a Top 25 overall prospect at some point to validate their success.

What's pointless is essentially saying that one needs to be a Top 25 overall prospect at some point to validate their success.

Sure, I'll go back to my fantasyland of not being over the moon impressed with a 23 yr old OPS-ing 0.950 in AAA considering he's repeating a level there, and not lamenting the loss of a corner OF who is OPS-ing mid 800's as a 23 yr old in that same level...that's nowhere near comparable to being the universal best prospect in all of baseball as an 18 yr old regardless of what level Franco is at. Since neither Harrison or Diaz are 20 yr olds tearing up AAA, and none have near the ceiling a guy like Franco has based on his talent level, the post I was responding to in my prior post was just a straw man argument I was calling out. 20 yr olds tearing up AAA are basically limited to generational talents like Trout, Harper, Machado, Vlad Jr., eventually Franco, etc. If age truly does matter, then you can't say a 20 yr old tearing up AAA is the same as Diaz and Harrison having good seasons at AAA.

I never said that no prospect is truly a prospect unless they're rated in the top 25 - I'm glad Diaz and Harrison are having nice years for the Marlins' AAA affiliate, and hope they develop into everyday MLB players that are above replacement level. I'm also glad to have Hiura instead of Diaz in the organization playing 2B, and the reigning MVP of the National League as well playing a corner OF spot.color me crazy, I guess

What's pointless is essentially saying that one needs to be a Top 25 overall prospect at some point to validate their success.

Sure, I'll go back to my fantasyland of not being over the moon impressed with a 23 yr old OPS-ing 0.950 in AAA considering he's repeating a level there, and not lamenting the loss of a corner OF who is OPS-ing mid 800's as a 23 yr old in that same level...that's nowhere near comparable to being the universal best prospect in all of baseball as an 18 yr old regardless of what level Franco is at. Since neither Harrison or Diaz are 20 yr olds tearing up AAA, and none have near the ceiling a guy like Franco has based on his talent level, the post I was responding to in my prior post was just a straw man argument I was calling out. 20 yr olds tearing up AAA are basically limited to generational talents like Trout, Harper, Machado, Vlad Jr., eventually Franco, etc. If age truly does matter, then you can't say a 20 yr old tearing up AAA is the same as Diaz and Harrison having good seasons at AAA.

I never said that no prospect is truly a prospect unless they're rated in the top 25 - I'm glad Diaz and Harrison are having nice years for the Marlins' AAA affiliate, and hope they develop into everyday MLB players that are above replacement level. I'm also glad to have Hiura instead of Diaz in the organization playing 2B, and the reigning MVP of the National League as well playing a corner OF spot.color me crazy, I guess

What you said previously is clear as day so maybe you should go back and read it. The conclusion trwi7 and I drew was spot on based on your comments. Back track and spin all you want dude but it doesn't change what you said and meant.

Over the past calendar year Yelich has hit 344/435/709 (191 wRC+) with 56 HR & 31 SB good for 10.6 WAR.

After rigorous investigation, and after having consulted several experts, my conclusion is that those numbers are pretty damn good.

Over the past calendar year Yelich has hit 344/435/709 (191 wRC+) with 56 HR & 31 SB good for 10.6 WAR.

After rigorous investigation, and after having consulted several experts, my conclusion is that those numbers are pretty damn good.

He was also robbed of at least 3 homeruns that I can think of during that span. Pretty incredible.

• 3 weeks later...

Yelich now leads the nl in batting average, ops, stolen bases (tied) and home runs. He also is in striking distance of rbis runs.

All that to say, many thought the second half he had last year was not sustainable, and justifiably so, but he just continues to rake. He is such a complete hitter.

His worst month of the year still had an Ops of 935! His other three months are 1.149 or higher

Yelich now leads the nl in batting average, ops, stolen bases (tied) and home runs. He also is in striking distance of rbis runs.

All that to say, many thought the second half he had last year was not sustainable, and justifiably so, but he just continues to rake. He is such a complete hitter.

His worst month of the year still had an Ops of 935! His other three months are 1.149 or higher

He's no Jordan Yamamoto though.

He's no Jordan Yamamoto though.

Speaking Yamamoto the hype has slowed a bit as he has struggled his last three starts. Walking too many guys. He isn't giving up many hits though

Yeah, it's pretty apparent that his stuff is not that of a frontline starter...he could definitely become a mlb rotation piece and have a good career if he improves his command, but he needs to live on the corners to do so.

Basically his upside is Zach Davies - while his downside is that he's a flash in the pan who flamed out in mlb before ever settling in as a starter at this level.

I feel like there is a fairly decent shot that Diaz becomes the only guy I wish we wouldn't have let get away. Brinson seems like a AAAA type guys. Yamamoto has come back to earth and his stuff just doesn't seem good enough to be a guy I really miss. Harrison strikes out a third of his at bats in AAA so I am not expecting a ton there. He could figure it out though

Archived