Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110
  • Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jordan Yamamoto was the piece of this deal that terrified me. I continue to hate that inclusion. He was a lesser piece in the deal who could end up being worth much more than he was at the time. So far, yikes.

Counterpoint: Yelich has a legitimate chance to win back-to-back MVP's.

Jordan Yamamoto was the piece of this deal that terrified me. I continue to hate that inclusion. He was a lesser piece in the deal who could end up being worth much more than he was at the time. So far, yikes.

When it's all said and done, he'll be what he is. A #4/5 starter. MLB history is littered with guys who have a few great starts out of the gates and regressed to the mean. This story will not end differently.

Jordan Yamamoto was the piece of this deal that terrified me. I continue to hate that inclusion.

Seems revisionist. These were your first 3 posts in reaction to the trade....

So brinson diaz harrison and yamamoto?

Cringe. Glad we kept our 3 young rising arms but yikes harrison brinson diaz could give them an offense in 2-3 years. Yikes thats a lot.

If Yamamoto was the piece that terrified you, surely you would have talked about the pitching he would give the Marlins in 2-3 years. Looks like he wasn't included in your group of rising arms either.

Yes he is. Hes a nearing prime 5 year controlled lefty that checks all the boxes and is a GG LF. Damn braun. Play 1st.

Just the positives of Yelich, no caution about the loss of Yamamoto.

Well here we are. The 3 bats spook me. Diaz is soo raw but so highly touted even after a down year. Brinson I dont think will be yelich. I rest on this deal saying NO TOP ARMS and if we roll back Harrison 1 year I doubt anyone worries about his inclusion. Maybe he's a stud... maybe hes a 250/320 25 hr guy.

Not one mention of the guy you were "terrified" was included. You went so far as to say no TOP ARMS were included. So Yamamoto wasn't a top arm in your mind then?

It only took around 20 pages and approximately a dozen posts to finally detect some mild disappointment in losing Yamamoto...

The only guy I really worry about is Diaz. I doubt brinson can match yelich within his control. Harrison, well I dont value corner of as much as I should. Yes athletic enough for cf but I don't see that being his path. Yamamoto is interesting but a good lottery ticket.

Terrified indeed.

Were people really expecting all the guys we traded to the Marlins to flop? Right now Brinson looks like a AAAA type player, Harrison strikes out way too much but has potential, Diaz is impressive but has come back to earth a bit and then Yamamoto has been terrific in the majors. The Brewers got an MVP level player and at a crazy low salary.

Lets get a little real on Yamamoto right now. His BABIP against is .167 which would be a full .100 ahead most of the nearest eligible pitchers. That will regress to the mean some but he still looks like an exciting prospect for the Marlins and would be nice to have in our current rotation

Why the dig at TJ? Real question.

It's not a dig, it's showing the truth. With Yamamoto doing well with Miami, he's on here telling everyone how he proclaimed Yamamoto was the piece that terrified him at the thought of losing when the Yelich trade was made. He said nothing of the sort. In general, everyone here should rest comfortably that the trade was a slam dunk, a home run. Even if all 4 Marlins end up contributing as major leaguers, we don't need people being revisionist about the deal. The Brewers got more than they possibly could have asked for. It's actually quite astonishing given what Yelich has accomplished that people are still looking back in fear at what was given up.

It's not a dig, it's showing the truth. With Yamamoto doing well with Miami, he's on here telling everyone how he proclaimed Yamamoto was the piece that terrified him at the thought of losing when the Yelich trade was made. He said nothing of the sort. In general, everyone here should rest comfortably that the trade was a slam dunk, home run. Even if all 4 Marlins end up contributing as major leaguers, we don't need people being revisionist about the deal. The Brewers got more than they possibly could have asked for.

Well then, how many of us, including me for sure, would want harmless, innocuous statements that we’ve made, researched thru the archives, and thrown back in our face. I know I don’t. I’ve always found TJs posts to be extremely interesting and thoughtful, just like yours TBBC. I cringed reading that, thinking of all the stupid things I said.

It's not a dig, it's showing the truth. With Yamamoto doing well with Miami, he's on here telling everyone how he proclaimed Yamamoto was the piece that terrified him at the thought of losing when the Yelich trade was made. He said nothing of the sort. In general, everyone here should rest comfortably that the trade was a slam dunk, home run. Even if all 4 Marlins end up contributing as major leaguers, we don't need people being revisionist about the deal. The Brewers got more than they possibly could have asked for.

Well then, how many of us, including me for sure, would want harmless, innocuous statements that we’ve made, researched thru the archives, and thrown back in our face. I know I don’t. I’ve always found TJs posts to be extremely interesting and thoughtful, just like yours TBBC. I cringed reading that, thinking of all the stupid things I said.

Then maybe think before you post? It’s a good lesson for any of us.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Well, are you running around proclaiming the opposite of what you said earlier in an attempt to make it look like you knew something no one else did? His original comments were harmless. It's the current comments which are completely dreamt up. And it didn't require searching archives. They're comments from this same thread. Nobody put a gun to his asking for revisionist history about Jordan Yamamoto now that the latter is having some early success in the majors.

I’ll try to do better mr Brew. Thanks for your kind words and advice yet again.

:laughing Man, you love to play these cards don’t you? I said it’s a good lesson for all of us, not just you.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I hope Yelich wins a 2nd MVP and that all 4 of Brinson, Diaz, Harrison, and Yamamoto go on to have successful major league careers. No matter how well any of those 5 people do from here on out, the trade has already proven to be the right move. Anything from here on out is too far removed from time of transaction to be predictable or foreseen with any high degree of certainty.

It's not a dig, it's showing the truth. With Yamamoto doing well with Miami, he's on here telling everyone how he proclaimed Yamamoto was the piece that terrified him at the thought of losing when the Yelich trade was made. He said nothing of the sort. In general, everyone here should rest comfortably that the trade was a slam dunk, a home run. Even if all 4 Marlins end up contributing as major leaguers, we don't need people being revisionist about the deal. The Brewers got more than they possibly could have asked for. It's actually quite astonishing given what Yelich has accomplished that people are still looking back in fear at what was given up.

One thing I've learned is that basically anything short of trading Hernan Perez for a guy who makes multiple AS teams, will always bring out the people who insist it was bad. If what we give up has any kind of redeeming quality at all, there will be gymnasts somewhere willing to bend it how they want.

Strange you'd feel that's the best use of your time though.

It's strange that my words weren't stronger on Yamamoto then. I didn't like including a lottery ticket arm who looked promising. Lottery tickets don't have high value and they can end up with them. Peralta stuff heading out concerns me for that very reason. Every time. I know I didn't want the big name pitching prospects included for sure but I thought I put up more of a fight about Yamamoto. I was looking at Yamamoto as a piece of concern even before he took the mound in AA this year. You can find posts on that I'm sure but I'm too lazy to do it. I never expected to see him in the majors yet that's for sure.

So its strange I didn't say more at the time. I don't like adding deep minors promising lottery tickets. Lind hammered that home. Carmona was another one I was nervous about. Trading matured value gets you the proper value. Adding in young guys who show promise don't have the service time to prove their worth.

If you think I'm trying to look like I know more than I do, you're being a bit too cynical here.

Did I expect Yamamoto to do what he's done this year... hell no.

I didn't like his inclusion. Didn't like it before this year started in AA. His 68 scattered innings in 2018 didn't change my mind.

Imagine being worried about trading Jordan Yamamoto for Mike Trout.

Think about this. Was Jordan Yamamoto a valued prospect at the time? No.

So you sold a good prospect as a throw in. Is that good value managment? No.

It's not about who you got. It's about when you sold and for what value you sold at.

Brinson has established value.

Harrison was at a sell high point.

Diaz concerned me most of the 3 because his stock had fallen despite him having incredible upside in the middle infield.

Yamamoto was a throw in, and the wrong one.

I doubt Mia bought high on Yamamoto like they did on Brinson and Harrison. It still doesn't make it a bad trade. It makes him the wrong filler piece to include. If MIA demanded him as part of the deal then fine. If he was a value filler throw in, that was a mistake.

TJseven7 logs back out...

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d1614cd6e76507673f90560&rid=giphy.gif

Funny but that's what I do when I get yelled at for saying something right and it proves itself right.

You can find an example of that in the MiLB forum where I said pump the breaks on a prospect then got yelled at for being stupid.

TJseven7 logs back out...

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d1614cd6e76507673f90560&rid=giphy.gif

Funny but that's what I do when I get yelled at for saying something right and it proves itself right.

You can find an example of that in the MiLB forum where I said pump the breaks on a prospect then got yelled at for being stupid.

:laughing I enjoy your insight. Was just having some fun with ya.

A couple of non-Yamamoto notes:

- Harrison and Diaz were both selected for the Futures Game for the Marlins

- Harrison was yanked from last night's AAA game in the ninth inning of a 5-5 tie when he went to the plate batting LEFT handed (he is right handed). When his manager noticed, he removed Harrison from the game and Harrison was NOT happy about it.

A couple of non-Yamamoto notes:

- Harrison and Diaz were both selected for the Futures Game for the Marlins

Diaz has had a phenomenal season in AAA so far. He deserves it. He's well on his way to being a top 100 again.

At least Brinson is floundering. You don't want the team you traded with to go 4 for 4.

Archived