Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110
Aww man Not Harrison. Ill have a Fancrush on him throughout his career. Diaz made perfect sense. This trade overall makes an even sense personally. With Miami potential to win it overall.

Breathe, but Yelich is special. Theyll say 4WAR for 5 years, but im going 5.5 avg next 5 years. Yelich will win a batting title here 1 year just watch. What an Addition to the lineup!

Reading through the first 5 or 6 pages of this thread where the initial reactions were posted is a special kind of entertainment, particularly with it appearing more certain by the day that the brewers acquired a generational talent for what amounts to a couple Broxtons, a 2b who might turn into a good mlb player if he is allowed to develop another 5 years in the minors, and a pitcher that has "upside" simply because when compared to the other prospects in this trade he better be great - even though my opinion of yamamoto is he hasn't been a prospect long enough for everyone to realize he's just a guy.

I had to go to page 11 to find my take and it was a good one.

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I’ll be in Nashville seeing the Sounds take on the Marlins AAA affiliate and I am very excited to see Isan and Monte again. Saw them both in Wisconsin and the AFL and still think they can make big league contributions. But yes, this trade was highway robbery and I love Yelich.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Just for fun :)

Lewis Brinson batting below .200 with -0.5 War

Monte Harrison has 12 strikeouts in 8 games

Isan Diaz is batting .200 through 12 games

Conversely, Yelich is off to a 1.3 War year already. And, well, doing what Yelli does.

Just to state that I'm not going back and doing an "told you so," or trying to call anyone out, I'll point out I was a big fan of Tyler Chatwood. I thought he was a pitcher who might be more aggressive outside of Coors, his stuff may play up more and I was hoping we'd sign him for like 3/30. So we're all wrong about these deals. Even the biggest Yelich supporters didn't think THIS is what was going to come out of his deal.

But looking back, some of these posts are funny. The ones saying that it wasn't the right year to make these moves(Cain as well) because we didn't know if '17 was legit, how badly we overpaid, how none of the other 28 teams were willing to make these deals.

Baseball's a funny game. I remember hearing who we gave up, and while I wanted Brinson traded...just because I thought he'd take a long time to get going,(and by the way Miami, PLEASE send the kid down to AAA for a couple months...you're just ruining whatever is left there right now) but I DID think that giving up Brinson and Diaz in particular was a lot. And this was after a game I was watching with my old man when Stanton was going for 60 HR's and I said to him that he might be the 3rd best OF'er on that team, so I was always a fan of Yelich. Turns out Harrison is the only one who looks good right now, the other two have looked awful, Brinson in particular and the Brewers have probably gotten one of the 2-3 best offensive seasons+ out of a player in franchise history and he's locked up through 2022.

So no shots at anyone, Yelich wasn't THIS good when we traded for him, the prospects looked better at the time, but it's just funny how much your perspective can change in a short period of time. There were people who were angry we didn't use the same prospects to acquire Archer from TB.

This game is fickle and apparently short of David Stearns, you're more likely to be wrong than you are right when predicting future success. I don't think as it stands either the Cain contract or the Yelich trade has a chance of looking bad the final year we have both under team control.

This thread sure makes for some interesting reading....

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Just for fun :)

Lewis Brinson batting below .200 with -0.5 War

Monte Harrison has 12 strikeouts in 8 games

Isan Diaz is batting .200 through 12 games

Conversely, Yelich is off to a 1.3 War year already. And, well, doing what Yelli does.

Ok, we all know this was a great trade for the

Brewers, even if the prospects were performing better, but mis-representing how well the other teams prospects are playing doesn't really strengthen the argument.

If I said, "Yelich struck out 142 times last year in 157 games," that really wouldn't tell you anything about how well he played.

Harrison HAS struck out this year. He's also hitting .333/.444 with an OPS over 1.000.

And if Harrison ends up being as good as Yelich, we still win the deal. We wanted a player who was good now(We got a great one) they wanted players for the future.

At this point, I don't care how well the prospects play. We did what we wanted to do. In fact, if Stearns keeps fleecing teams like this, it may hurt us in the future when we need to make a trade and nobody is willing....(I'm only about 5 pct serious here, but opted to go against the blue font as teams should probably be a little leery of dealing with Stearns).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brinson just got demoted to AAA........

So I guess now he's back in the camp of a top prospect again?

It's now past the point of Brinson just needing time in MLB to adjust - he's proving to be a MLB disappointment that is taking up a majority of his pre-arbitration years of cheap team control by being really bad at the game's highest level.

This trade will live on forever and be used as fodder in response to negative reactions to trades from prospect huggers.

• 1 month later...
Brinson has been disappointing and Yelich has been exceeding expectations, but it’s worth noting that the other three players in the deal have exceeded expectations. Diaz’s AAA season is Hiura-esque. Harrison continues to OPS near .900. Yamamoto continues to be consistent. It will be fun to watch these guys with Miami in upcoming years.

I always liked both Diaz and Harrison.

Watching Diaz a lot in 2016 I was convinced he was a definite MLB bat some day. He could be a really good player if that HR power translates to the MLB level...and he is having quite a HR year in AAA so far.

Monte Harrison was my prospect crush. He is also having a stellar year including 19 SBs with only 1 CS in 43 games, wow.

However, we traded those three bats for a reason...all are high risk and all like to strikeout a ton. Which has changed very little since the trade. I think it is very likely Yelich is a free agent and gone before any of those guys make an MLB impact.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yelich last 162 games:

52 HRs

136 RBI

30 SBs, 4 CSs

.335 AVG

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yamamoto is starting for the Marlins tomorrow.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Marlins recalled RHP Jordan Yamamoto from Double-A Jacksonville.

Yamamoto will make his major league debut Wednesday night against the Cardinals. He's filling in for Jose Urena, who hit the injured list in a corresponding 25-man roster move with a lower back strain. Yamamoto, acquired from the Brewers in the Christian Yelich trade, had registered a 3.58 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, and 64/25 K/BB ratio through 65 1/3 innings (12 starts) this season at the Double-A level. The 23-year-old should carry some deep-league fantasy appeal.

Jun 12, 2019, 2:59 PM ET

Really liked this guy while he was in Appleton. He, Isan Diaz and Monte Harrison are going to help this Marlins team eventually, possibly as early as next year when all 3 of them will hit the MLB squad. Not sure if Brinson will ever pan out, but I truly think the other 3 will...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brinson has been disappointing and Yelich has been exceeding expectations, but it’s worth noting that the other three players in the deal have exceeded expectations. Diaz’s AAA season is Hiura-esque. Harrison continues to OPS near .900. Yamamoto continues to be consistent. It will be fun to watch these guys with Miami in upcoming years.

That's just not gonna fly. It has be horrible for one of the teams and fodder for getting that GM fired.

That's just not gonna fly. It has be horrible for one of the teams and fodder for getting that GM fired.

Not sure when NYChez's post was from but he has some points.

Yamamoto just had a great first start. Will be interesting to see where he goes.

Harrison is sporting a nice .860 OPS but is also striking out 1/3 of the times. I think to say he is exceeding expectations is strong since he went from being ranking as a prospect to now to being ranked and likely being borderline top 100.

Diaz has seen a power surge this year. if that is for real he is a really good prospect. He doesnt strikeout a ton. He hasnt been very good since 2016 but he looks to have turned the corner.

IF (and this is a big IF) Yamamoto becomes a solid middle of the rotation starter, Diaz becomes the starting everyday 2b and one of harrison or brinson (this is where I am the least solid) become a solid starting OF then the Marlins did alright. I say alright because imagine what the Brewers could get for Yelich right now..

Unless one of the four prospects becomes an annual MVP or Cy Young contender, the Brewers stole Yelich from the Marlins - there really isn't any other way to evaluate the trade at this point. Even if all four wind up having decent MLB careers, the Brewers win the deal in a landslide by getting Yelich's prime years under an extremely team-friendly contract.

Great to see Yamamoto have a good first start, particularly in beating the Cards!

Pretty much, yeah. Yelich right now is either the best player in baseball other than Trout, or even over the last hundred and sixty-two games, the best player. Going forward, I still don't expect Yelich to keep putting up an 1.150 ops, but the longer he keeps up this pace the more it becomes possible that this is his new reality.

Unless Diaz, Harrison, and Yamamoto all become multiple-time All-Stars this deal is nothing but a good one for the Brewers. There's just no way to spin this otherwise. Even if they all become top five players at their positions, which is absolutely unlikely, the Brewers have a top 5 player in all of baseball in his prime years, so there's just no way to say this wasn't a good deal.

You have to give to get

Yelich is amazing and it was a great trade for the Brewers. But if all 4 of those guys become above average players, what is better, one cheapish All Star or 4 super cheap MLB starting caliber players?

Starting caliber players are imminently replaceable. MVP-caliber ones typically are not. Yeah, the Brewers seemingly gave up good value. They got back incredible value.

Still, it appears that all 4 of these guys stand a chance of being at least MLB regulars. That is pretty rare in a quantity for quality deal like this. Kudos to the Marlins for identifying four possible/likely future contributors for a guy they needed to deal. Kudos, too, to the Brewers for having a solid and deep enough system to be able to make this deal. Makes both teams look good.

Yelich is amazing and it was a great trade for the Brewers. But if all 4 of those guys become above average players, what is better, one cheapish All Star or 4 super cheap MLB starting caliber players?

Starting caliber players are imminently replaceable. MVP-caliber ones typically are not. Yeah, the Brewers seemingly gave up good value. They got back incredible value.

Still, it appears that all 4 of these guys stand a chance of being at least MLB regulars. That is pretty rare in a quantity for quality deal like this. Kudos to the Marlins for identifying four possible/likely future contributors for a guy they needed to deal. Kudos, too, to the Brewers for having a solid and deep enough system to be able to make this deal. Makes both teams look good.

Im not taking one side or the other on the trade but to say starting caliber players are replaceable is not true. Just look at some of the well below replacement level crap we've run out there over the years. And superstars mean next to nothing in baseball if there aren't quality players and depth to surround them with.

Yelich is a cheapish best player in the game controlled though his prime - The fact he doesn't command 1/3rd of the Brewers' entire team payroll makes him astronomically more valuable than 4 young MLB everyday players. It's not even close.

Archived