Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110

I liked this trade because there was such little risk on our end. The only way I think for us to have lost this trade is if Lewis Brinson pulled a Ryan Braun and just decided to be an instant AS type player. That would have looked pretty miserable on our end. We made the trade because we knew we were going to have a great roster the next 3-5 years. It seems pretty obvious none of the players we traded will be making an impact anytime soon...if ever.

We traded 3 huge risk high reward bats for one already at a AS production level. Since he is controllable 5 years that pretty much allows one of those guys to be incredible and we shouldn't even care. They are lucky if that happens...before the trade and especially now.

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure what I posted back then (I hope it was in support if I posted at all), but to me I liked it because he was barely older than Brinson yet a proven player signed for years. And to me Brinson was overrated, especially in that if he was injured for another year and/or came up to MLB and did poorly then he'd lose all his prospect/upside/hype and plummet down the rankings/trade value. So a good time to get for sure value in return for Brinson.

I was wrong on this one. I liked the target, but hated giving up so much. Part of it was I really wanted to see Brinson in a Brewers uniform, but after what I've seen I'm not that interested. He probably need a team like the Marlins that he could take his lumps for a year or two. At this point, one or two more years like this one and we'll win almost regardless of what Brinson does.

It doesn't really matter what the players traded away do, as long as Yelich does what we acquired him to do. And he certainly is doing that, and more, so far. Also, when talking about "winning" trades, that tends to ignore the fact that it's not a zero-sum game, and that both teams can "win" a trade. One team needs production now and gets it, one needs it later and gets it. I hope the guys we sent to Miami make it big, and that 2018 won't be Yelich's last MVP. It's not an either/or situation.

Thanks again to whoever keeps bumping these older threads.

Greatest Hits (for the cycle)...

Well, that's the problem. He's not a special player.

Terrible deal. This will end up being reason #1 why everyone will want Stearns gone in a couple years. Just awful.

Too much, hate this deal. Really hate it.

Ugh

I don’t get the throw it in your face that you were wrong bumps and posts. Granted we all could use work on not being so definite in our posts but this stuff seems petty and not great for the boards. Not only that but this is a forum built on speculation and opinion. Everyone will get it wrong here and there. Just my two cents.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's actually something the mods pointed out recently. No upside in reminding people they were wrong. That said, it's always refreshing when someone volunteers to admit they were wrong. I've seen a couple people do that for other players/moves. A whole lot have done it for Miley.

Yelich has to be the leader in the clubhouse right now for MVP. I think you could make a case for Arenado as well.

It is a 3 person race between Baez, Goldy, and Yelich. All else remaining equal I think Goldy would finish 3rd if the other two make the playoffs and I think Yelich and Baez are having the better statistical years anyways. Yelich is currently tied for 1st in AVE, 1st in OPS, 4th in WAR (Cain is 1st), 3rd in runs, tied for 7th in RBI, 7th in OBP, and 1st in slugging

Yelich has to be the leader in the clubhouse right now for MVP. I think you could make a case for Arenado as well.

It is a 3 person race between Baez, Goldy, and Yelich. All else remaining equal I think Goldy would finish 3rd if the other two make the playoffs and I think Yelich and Baez are having the better statistical years anyways. Yelich is currently tied for 1st in AVE, 1st in OPS, 4th in WAR (Cain is 1st), 3rd in runs, tied for 7th in RBI, 7th in OBP, and 1st in slugging

You forget Baez has a few things going for him. Some legitimate some not

1. He is doing it as an infielder who plays multiple positions.

2. He has a very slight lead in WAR, home runs and RBIs

3. He plays for Chicago

4. He is exciting to watch

I dont think 3 or 4 should matter but they will. Really number 2 is a wash almost. Especially when you factor in yelich's commanding lead in ops and all those stats. 1 is legitimate but I think Yelich has covered a ton of ground. In mind it would hard not to give it to the guy who leads in batting average and ops if that happens.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It's actually something the mods pointed out recently. No upside in reminding people they were wrong. That said, it's always refreshing when someone volunteers to admit they were wrong. I've seen a couple people do that for other players/moves. A whole lot have done it for Miley.

I think at this point Yelich is proving even the most optimistic of posters wrong. I had him pegged for maybe 27 HRs this year at most and maybe a high 800s OPS if things went right.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think around the all-star break, there were people (not just on Brewerfan) saying that Yelich was "disappointing" because he was hitting "only" .290-ish with not a lot of power or RBI's and he was hovering around an .820 - .830 OPS.

The only thing I saw was one poster in an IGT call him overrated. I think it was immediately after he bounced into his second double play of the game. Perhaps misguided, but somewhat understandable.

I think around the all-star break, there were people (not just on Brewerfan) saying that Yelich was "disappointing" because he was hitting "only" .290-ish with not a lot of power or RBI's and he was hovering around an .820 - .830 OPS.

The only thing I saw was one poster in an IGT call him overrated. I think it was immediately after he bounced into his second double play of the game. Perhaps misguided, but somewhat understandable.

I saw (again, not just on Brewerfan), more than a few people question why he wasn't hitting for more power, a lot of comments that were "I thought he'd be better once he got out of Marlin's Park"... nobody calling him outright "bad", just more of a sentiment that he should be a superstar in the making (which he is......of course)

I don’t get the throw it in your face that you were wrong bumps and posts. Granted we all could use work on not being so definite in our posts but this stuff seems petty and not great for the boards. Not only that but this is a forum built on speculation and opinion. Everyone will get it wrong here and there. Just my two cents.

True, but it's good to learn from mistakes too. A lot of analytics had Yelich pegged for a power surge at Miller Park, and they provided a lot of evidence. Just another variable to make sure everyone is considering when they're evaluating a player.

To me, there were three major issues. One was Brinson having a ton of red flags. Another was people not realizing the significance of Yelich's age; it's like the luster had worn off after several years of non-superstardom, despite him being every bit as good as advertised and not yet in his prime. The third was just the value of an excellent all-around player, even if he never hit more than 21 HR's before.

All those things should not be overlooked the next time the Brewers make a move like trading for Yelich - or pass up on a chance to get an overrated anti-Yelich type.

To be fair, those that mentioned a lack of power previous to his 2nd half hot spell had a point. (I believe people mentioned lack of a proper launch angle.) He has proved people wrong in a lot more ways than one this season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

To be fair, those that mentioned a lack of power previous to his 2nd half hot spell had a point. (I believe people mentioned lack of a proper launch angle.) He has proved people wrong in a lot more ways than one this season.

I remember that, and it was true in the first half. I still think the evidence supported an inevitable power surge though. It may have taken a little longer than expected, but regression to the mean was going to work in our favor eventually in this instance.

True, but it's good to learn from mistakes too. A lot of analytics had Yelich pegged for a power surge at Miller Park, and they.

Analytics actually didn't peg Yelich for much of a power surge at all. As mentioned his launch angle wasn't all that significant from his swing. Thus simply moving to Miller Park wasn't going to necessarily give him a big power surge. The big power surge was on the assumption he would change his swing to favor Miller Park a bit more. I don't know if that is the reason for his surge or not though.

True, but it's good to learn from mistakes too. A lot of analytics had Yelich pegged for a power surge at Miller Park, and they.

Analytics actually didn't peg Yelich for much of a power surge at all. As mentioned his launch angle wasn't all that significant from his swing. Thus simply moving to Miller Park wasn't going to necessarily give him a big power surge. The big power surge was on the assumption he would change his swing to favor Miller Park a bit more. I don't know if that is the reason for his surge or not though.

I think that is a fair assumption though, isn't it? If you play in a park that doesn't cater to LH power, why would you go up there and try to hit flyballs?

When a thread gets to be about 30 pages long and hasn't been updated in a month, there should probably be a lock put on the thread automatically. That isn't for this thread, but all threads.

May be a little off topic... sorry...

The big power surge was on the assumption he would change his swing to favor Miller Park a bit more. I don't know if that is the reason for his surge or not though.

This article is a couple weeks old now, but does offer some insight on what Christian Yelich has changed...

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/what-christian-yelich-has-changed/

Archived