Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110

As it looks, the Brewers got a perennial major league All Star for a younger version of Keon Broxton, an infielder who's never shown the ability to hit above A ball, a pitcher who at best projects as a 5th starter, and Harrison, who there's still hope for more because of his age than his production.

Only downside from Brewer perspective is that Marlins will steer away from dealing with Brewers again anytime soon which means Realmuto likely ends up elsewhere.

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any proof getting a bad return in one trade makes you not want to deal with that team again? I’ve got to be honest that makes no sense and I’m not paid a penny to be a GM. You are telling me a million dollar GM is dumber than me?

The Marlins are the ones who wanted those players!!!

Is there any proof getting a bad return in one trade makes you not want to deal with that team again? I’ve got to be honest that makes no sense and I’m not paid a penny to be a GM. You are telling me a million dollar GM is dumber than me?

The Marlins are the ones who wanted those players!!!

Yeah I've thought about that also. Stearns has done an amazing job maximizing value and picking up hidden gems via several trades from many different teams the past couple years. Would he really get a reputation around baseball as someone not to trade with because, no matter what players are involved, the likely outcome will be that the Brewers win the trade and the other guy comes out on the short end?

The Brewer scouts and analytics team appear to be on a whole other level compared to most, so if Milwaukee wants one of your players that doesn't seem like anything special to you, would that send a red flag to that team that perhaps maybe there is more to their player than they think because Milwaukee is interested?

I think it's incredibly naive to think a team would never trade a player to a team that "fleeced" them in a different trade. That would amount to a GM admitting that the other GM is better than they are and that the first GM could never be as good as the latter GM. I highly doubt ANY GM would think that and if I were the owner and my GM thought that way I would immediately fire that GM.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

From the get go, I thought Stearns did a fantastic job in this deal. The only thing I was a little bummed about was not getting JT as part of a bigger package (but probably at a discount in a big super mega deal - a little bit of my previous OOTP managing coming out there.. lol) - but let's be honest.... Yelich is not a rental or even a couple year player... be becomes a cornerstone of this team. He's young and I believe only going to get better. If a couple of those guys end up ok (the only one I really was high on personally was Diaz), I think we would still make that trade 100 times over!

I think as I've seen stated before, we over value our own prospects to some respect... but even doing so here, Yelich's don't grow on trees. I am much happier with him than Ozuna, as Yelich fits the mold we want to go towards, less K more OB%.

Ex-Marlins outfielders fWAR to date (Plate appearances):

Ozuna 0.1 (202)

Stanton 1.3 (220)

Yelich 1.2 (186)

Taking cost into account, the clear winner is Yelich.... Last year may have been Stanton's career year, this year is looking like a repeat of 2015 for Ozuna (or worse), and Yelich is close to being on pace for the same fWAR rate as last year.

side note: Yelich is a perfect example of why you shouldn't over-interpret BABIP... his career mark is 0.357!

I still have a feeling that Brinson isn't a complete washout, but it is looking more and more like it might be a scenario where he has a long and occasionally productive career that always just seems disappointing given his former prospect status and having been the centerpiece in a significant trade.

So, you know, Cameron Maybin.

You cannot ever ever consider trading a minor league strikeout prone OF for a proven VERY good major league OF with 4+ years control. Makes no sense.

Time to cash in on Hiura now too before he blows out his body playing defense.

You cannot ever ever consider trading a minor league strikeout prone OF for a proven VERY good major league OF with 4+ years control. Makes no sense.

Time to cash in on Hiura now too before he blows out his body playing defense.

I feel like both these should be in blue.

Love Brinson, just a bad fit here because while I think he's gonna be a really good player, I think it'll take him near 1000 PA's to really become one.

Yelich is just the ideal player for this club. Both him and Cain really. I don't really care about K's, but to have two guys atop the order you know are going to produce consistently and hit ~.300, can run and can play GG caliber Defense.....man was that worth 5/80 and giving up these 4.

I think Hiura is a much more sure thing though. At least offensively. If they ultimately have to have the elbow fixed, fine, but I think he is going to be a .300/.375/.450 type guy who is good for ~20 HR's a year.

Brinson is only 2 years younger than Yelich. Thats pretty crazy. I certainly think its premature to give up on Brinson, but I love thinking about that fact we have Yelich for at least four more seasons after this one. He's a legit All-Star OF.

I knew that....but seeing that in writing just blows my mind still. I really like Harrison, he COULD be a really good player, Diaz COULD end up being a .250/.340 power hitting 2nd basemen. Each could just as easily end up as backup's or not cracking any 25 man rosters for long in their career. And Yamamoto is at back end type guy at best. So while I do really think Brinson will end up being a good player, this has to be one of the best trades the Brewers have made...in years. The type of trade that gets proposed on here and most people shoot it down because young players like Yelich are sooo valuable. And he produces in such a quiet way almost. It just kinda seems odd. He's just out there every day, getting on base a couple times, takes great routes to the ball, so very few highlight types catches. Again, Cain and he are almost ideal top of the order type guys. Just gotta hope Aguilar keeps it up, Shaw does as well and Braun's luck evens out and our lineup could be dangerous.

I was definitely one of the people who thought less of Brinson than the prospect rankings and general viewpoint here so I'm not surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if Brinson busts out next year, hope he does, seems like a good kid. But at his age and injury history I was ready to cash out rather than have him have a bad year (like now) and/or get hurt again, at which point other teams would be looking at 25ish year old guy who still hasn't done anything in the bigs and his stock would plummet.

The Brewers gave up a lot of potential for 4 years of Yelich. Right now it looks great for the Brewers, but it will take a few years to tell if this was good, bad or ok for the Marlins. I do think Brinson should be sent down for his own sake, but that is the Marlins' call. It would probably be a good thing if a couple of the players become solid MLB players, just so that other teams will value trades with the Brewers better.

If the Brewers win a series with Yelich, I'll be perfectly happy if all 4 become HOF players.

The Brewers gave up a lot of potential for 4 years of Yelich. Right now it looks great for the Brewers, but it will take a few years to tell if this was good, bad or ok for the Marlins. I do think Brinson should be sent down for his own sake, but that is the Marlins' call. It would probably be a good thing if a couple of the players become solid MLB players, just so that other teams will value trades with the Brewers better.

If the Brewers win a series with Yelich, I'll be perfectly happy if all 4 become HOF players.

Yea, way too early to say it was a great trade for the Brewers. At the very least it looks like the Brewers got what they wanted. Just far too early to know if it will be as good of a trade as the Gomez/Fiers trade was. THAT was great trade, will probably end up being exceptional.

And yea, I won't be happy if the four traded away all become HOF players. That would mean it was a horrible trade.

I still have a feeling that Brinson isn't a complete washout, but it is looking more and more like it might be a scenario where he has a long and occasionally productive career that always just seems disappointing given his former prospect status and having been the centerpiece in a significant trade.

So, you know, Cameron Maybin.

The guy I think of on Brinson comp is Leodys? Martin.. I remember the hype on him for fantasy, and he was just a dud all but maybe 1 year where drafted.

I dont recall if he was on the Rangers still at time of Lucroy trade. But I know he played for Texas to. disappointment

I always thought of Brinson's ceiling being Mike Cameron, an elite CF who would hit around .250 with 20-25 HR and 20-25 SB. I will be rooting for him from a distance as Christian Yelich is worth parting with the potential of a Mike Cameron, who ironically I see as Monte Harrison's ceiling as well. Will definitely be pulling for the Marlins in the future if their OF consists of Harrison and Brinson.

Don't we control Yelich for 5 years?

Don't we control Yelich for 5 years?

Yes. He's under contract through 2021, with a club option for 2022.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Verified Member
Way too early hypothetical: So Yelich will be 30 at the end of his deal. Braun was 31 at the end of his similar first deal. Would you give Yelich a Braun-like extension (5 year/$100 million)?

Way too early hypothetical: So Yelich will be 30 at the end of his deal. Braun was 31 at the end of his similar first deal. Would you give Yelich a Braun-like extension (5 year/$100 million)?

Nope

Nope

Yeah, not a chance. I love Yelich, but I will probably love 34 year old Yelich much less. Why risk getting burned by the same deal yet again?

Archived