Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110
Not that he has a choice in this but it would be interesting to know his thoughts on coming to Milwaukee. And not the press bites I'm sure he'll feed those bozo's we have covering the Brewers.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two very good players in Cain (at least in the near terms) and Yelich but my goodness did Stearns get taken to the cleaners on both deals.

He must have really wanted both players because he badly overpaid for both which is interesting since OF was hardly an area where we had few options.

:laughing

Well, you're nothing if not predictable. I'm not laughing at your opinion, just that I would've bet my life you were going to say it.

To make any grand proclamations about getting taken to the cleaners is really, really silly. We'll see.

I don't know how many posts I've made defending the very same prospects that were traded while Boomer told me how disappointing and horrible they were. Now all of a sudden they were overpays. Some folks just gotta.........

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I won't pretend to know much about prospects, as I don't follow the minors, but from what I can tell, Yelich is basically what we were hoping Brinson would become. Now we don't have to wait to see if Brinson actually becomes that.

Not only this, but we have 5 years of Yelich after coming off two .800+ OPS seasons in a pitchers' park, rather than 6 years of Brinson starting with the inevitable growing pains of figuring out major league pitching and MAYBE becoming a Yelich-level player for the last 3-4 years of his team control.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Not only this, but we have 5 years of Yelich after coming off two .800+ OPS seasons in a pitchers' park, rather than 6 years of Brinson starting with the inevitable growing pains of figuring out major league pitching and MAYBE becoming a Yelich-level player for the last 3-4 years of his team control.

This is 100% why I'm ok with losing Brinson in this deal. Plus, you open up 40 man roster space that would've inevitably had to go to Harrison and Diaz this season and likely Yamamoto after next season - talented prospects who aren't ready for the majors for at least another 2-3 seasons.

It's the same type of trade the Astros made with the Brewers when they acquired Gomez and Fiers - they sent out talented prospects, obviously, but they weren't near ready to contribute at the MLB level for them and were likely to be part of a very crowded 40man roster problem, because their management at the time (including Stearns, btw) figured younger players in their organization were going to start crowding prospects out. Unless Yelich suffers a career-derailing injury, we get basically all his prime years at a nice price, whereas the Astros got a gimpy Gomez and over-his-head performing Fiers for a couple.

I come late like the balls of the duchshund (italian expression)

Wow that is a good saying! I guess I'm a duchshund as well.

I think Stearns is taking the known here, for the unknown. Could we end up losing some great players? Yes. But we are getting rewarded with a great player and less risk. I don't claim to be well versed in players the minors, where I can offer strong opinions, but I know I like what we got.

Somewhat interesting... If you go to either Lorenzo Cain or Christian Yelich's Baseball Reference page, they are both listed as each others match as 2nd closest batter all-time in Similarity Score.

Makes you wonder if Stearns is targeting something!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It is certainly a hefty price, but I like they are adjusting to the market and their position. The team won 86 games, but didn't really score enough after the torrid start to repeat that level this season. As good as Shaw and Santana were, they don't profile as the top bats on a Championship team. Yelich, Cain into that lineup make it potent. The farm system still has plenty of depth, so perhaps another player will emerge the way Brinson did. They should still have a borderline top 10 system.

They need one more front line starter, and perhaps another strong bullpen arm like they had with Swarczak, and this team could do some damage. It would be nice if they could do this without losing Santana. Perhaps 5 guys can take 4 spots if 1B is included. With Braun's reduced playing time, that could be perfect for the team. They've got the payroll room and the prospects to make the next move. No reason to step in with a toe...they might as well finish the plan and go for it. Will be fun to watch.

Wow oh wow- hard to get any work done today- just keep checking for more updates and trying to absorb everything. I echo the general consensus that i feel from the board, stings on prospects, a bit of an overpay all around, a bit skeptical but need to withhold judgement until rest of succeeding moves are done, in short- stearns & co know what they’re doing...we hope.

I really like yelich and like most people, think he'll put up even better numbers in Milwaukee and for five years cost controlled- got to like that! Like all of you, I hate to see Diaz, Harrison, & Yamamoto go. Although Harrison & diaz are high upside/high miss guys, I believe all three will find their way to the big leagues and be significant contributors. but Brinson is the one that really hurts I think he's a stud w the IT factor and could very likely be a star for years to come. However, if he never realizes that, Stearns definitely traded him at peak prospect value, which is something Melvin generally seemed loath to do. I am just struck that Brinson wasn’t worth more. Although we traded from depth, which is good, and was part of the plan all along, depth is not something to be squandered. as SoCal said, we paid a hefty price for Yelich, no doubt, but hope that it leads to me watching the brewers receive the world series trophy that has alluded us, and not the bitterness I felt when KC was hoisting their trophy with almost half the team former brewers.

Cain is great too and excited about what he brings to the table, but age worries me on the back end especially in CF. he's already showed declining range there this past year. (more on that in the Cain thread)

As others have noted these two moves should drastically reduce our strike outs and make a more balanced lineup up and down. and getting two proven players as opposed to a potential player makes us legit play-off contenders from here on out- and i'm sure increasing excitement for the team and raising more revenue.

As apprehensive as I am at some of these issues and all this action i'm equal parts excited. stearns and team have shown to be devoted to a long-term plan and doing massive due diligence on all regards. I want to believe that this turns out to be a genius series of chess moves, but am a little anxious that it's trying to be too smart and just outsmarting yourself in the process.

Very late to the party here. We have 5 years with two guys. We still have Corey Ray coming up. And five years to restock the outfield. By the time these contracts are up, we should have 4-5 guys ready to come up and stay competitive. If we can win now, win now. We can't play for the future forever.

If this squad gets a ring, we can play 60 win ball for the next 10 years for all I care.

Very late to the party here. We have 5 years with two guys. We still have Corey Ray coming up. And five years to restock the outfield. By the time these contracts are up, we should have 4-5 guys ready to come up and stay competitive.

Definitely. We've got time to develop more outfielders now and if they don't pan out, we do have free agency and trades as options to fill holes as well.

Who knows what else they do and what else they can get for Santana and either Phillips/broxton plus others but at this point is Yellich/Cain really that much more of a needle mover than what they had going in to the season, especially considering the lost assets of $80 million, four top 25 prospects, and a lost #73 pick in the upcoming draft?

Although other moves will play out, one can break down the different outfield scenarios with Cain/Yelich pieces with some definition. It can be broken down like this- so which outfield set would you have rather had- and how much a better team does it make us?

1) CURRENT

RF-Yelich (-4 prospects), CF-Cain (-80 mil & no #73 pick), Santana trade return

2) NO YELICH/NO CAIN/SANTANA TRADED

CF-Brinson, RF-Phillips/Broxton, Santana trade return

3) NO CAIN/SANTANA TRADED

RF-Yelich (-4 prospects), CF-Phillips/Broxton, Santana trade return

4) NO CAIN/SANTANA KEPT

CF-Yelich (-4 prospects), RF- Santana, Philips/Broxton trade return

5) NO MOVES

CF-Brinson/Phillips, RF- Santana, Broxton

6) CAIN/NO YELICH/SANTANA TRADED

CF- Brinson/Phillips, RF- Cain (-80 mil & no #73 pick), Santana & Broxton trade return

8) WISHFUL THINKING

CF- Brinson, RF-Yelich (-4 prospects), Santana trade return

Man it stings to see Brinson go. I know everyone said it was inevitable he was going to be included in the deal, but I just don’t see why that had to be. I would have loved to see a Yelich/Brinson/Braun outfield. Hard for me to believe that a Phillips, Diaz, Yamamoto,Harrison/(any minor league pitcher not named Burnes) wouldn’t have been enough. Oh well.

Really late to the party, but I like the deal for the Brewers. In a way, it hedges their risk by turning three guys that might turn into Yelich, into Yelich. It's highly likely that 1 or 2 of the Brinson/Diaz/Harrison group don't amount to anything at the MLB level, and the odds of two of them turning into assets as productive as Yelich I'd have to think are pretty long. Not saying all three of them couldn't make a huge impact at the big league level, but the odds are against it.

As for Yamamoto, I've generally been kind of "meh" on him and in the end, I wouldn't consider him a huge loss with all the other similar pitching depth the Brewers have in the minor leagues (Ponce/Jankins/Perrin/Derby/Williams/Brown/Webb/Herrera/etc). Though he did seem like a great kid, and I truly wish him nothing but the best when he's not pitching against Brewers.

Who knows what else they do and what else they can get for Santana and either Phillips/broxton plus others but at this point is Yellich/Cain really that much more of a needle mover than what they had going in to the season?

Although other moves will play out, one can break down the different outfield scenarios with Cain/Yelich pieces with some definition. It can be broken down like this- so which outfield set would you have rather had- and how much a better team does it make us?

1) CURRENT

RF-Yelich , CF-Cain (-80 mil & no #73 pick), Santana trade return

2) NO YELICH/NO CAIN/SANTANA TRADED

CF-Brinson, RF-Phillips/Broxton, Santana trade return

3) NO CAIN/SANTANA TRADED

RF-Yelich, CF-Phillips/Broxton, Santana trade return

4) NO CAIN/SANTANA KEPT

CF-Yelich, RF- Santana, Philips/Broxton trade return

5) NO MOVES

CF-Brinson/Phillips, RF- Santana, Broxton

6) CAIN/NO YELICH/SANTANA TRADED

CF- Brinson/Phillips, RF- Cain (-80 mil & no #73 pick), Santana & Broxton trade return

8) WISHFUL THINKING

CF- Brinson, RF-Yelich, Santana trade return

Man it stings to see Brinson go. I know everyone said it was inevitable he was going to be included in the deal, but I just don’t see why that had to be. I would have loved to see a Yelich/Brinson/Braun outfield. Hard for me to believe that a Phillips, Diaz, Yamamoto,Harrison/(any minor league pitcher not named Burnes) wouldn’t have been enough. Oh well.

You could also break this down into a now vs 2020 argument as Brinson *should* develop and Cain *should* decline.

However for the sake of this argument I will answer for this upcoming season...

Best offensive pairing: #1. Yelich and Cain are both going to flirt with .300/.350/.800 and combine for 35-40 HRs hitting in the 1 and 2 spots in the order. That's crazy. If you think we are selling high on Santana.. there is only one answer to this question. If you think Santana improves on his 2017 .. then you can argue he paired with either Yelich or Cain could duplicate what I'm anticipating from CY and LC.

Best defensive pairing: #1 Yelich and Cain and I don't think this one is close. Santana is below average, Broxton regressed last year. Phillips has the best arm of the group but is certainly not as rangy as the new hires. Yelich has a gold glove and Cain probably should have a couple to his name and both played in much larger ballparks where they had to cover more ground.

I would welcome the argument that Yelich and Cain are not the best combo of what we *could have* had. Their range alone will improve our pitching staff noticeably I think I'm biased towards Yelich because I think he will be a top 15 MVP candidate this year swinging in Miller Park ... but I don't see how another pairing makes us better.

Right now Yelich is a top 30 offensive player with potential upside. I think people are really underrating him.

For me it's not underrating him as much as wondering if the difference between him and what we already had was worth trading 4 prospects for. I would have prefered not to have done this deal but not overly fussed about it either. One thing I do like about this is he is the type of hitter that we don't have a lot of. I'm a fan of having different types of hitters in the lineup and we were missing his type of hit tools.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Right now Yelich is a top 30 offensive player with potential upside. I think people are really underrating him.

For me it's not underrating him as much as wondering if the difference between him and what we already had was worth trading 4 prospects for. I would have prefered not to have done this deal but not overly fussed about it either. One thing I do like about this is he is the type of hitter that we don't have a lot of. I'm a fan of having different types of hitters in the lineup and we were missing his type of hit tools.

Completely 100% agree with you on this. Take away the aspects of the trade and I'm extremely happy that Yelich is a Brewer, he's the type of hitter I wish we had more of in the lineup. Trading 4 prospects for him is what I'm not extremely happy about.

Completely 100% agree with you on this. Take away the aspects of the trade and I'm extremely happy that Yelich is a Brewer, he's the type of hitter I wish we had more of in the lineup. Trading 4 prospects for him is what I'm not extremely happy about.

Fully agree with both of you, you stated it perfectly.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

What would need to happen with those prospects for the trade to be fine for you guys? If brinson and Harrison both become solid starters but Diaz and Ya flame out is it ok? Or can only one of those two turn into a starter? I have only seen a couple reports but both think the Brewers did a good job selling high on prospects in this deal. My gut after most trades is as fans we overvalue our own prospects but sometime front office people just don't love what they see in their own guys. I have no idea how good those 4 are. It could end up being a terrible deal. All I know is right now yelich at his age and that contract is a huge value for the Brewers.

Have there been analysts who think the Brewers gave up way too much?

Two very good players in Cain (at least in the near terms) and Yelich but my goodness did Stearns get taken to the cleaners on both deals.

He must have really wanted both players because he badly overpaid for both which is interesting since OF was hardly an area where we had few options.

Well, you're nothing if not predictable. I'm not laughing at your opinion, just that I would've bet my life you were going to say it.

To make any grand proclamations about getting taken to the cleaners is really, really silly. We'll see.

I don't know how many posts I've made defending the very same prospects that were traded while Boomer told me how disappointing and horrible they were. Now all of a sudden they were overpays. Some folks just gotta.........

You might be more of a Stearns fan than a Brewers fan. :laughing

He definitely over paid. Look at the proposals made by this board just a day before the actual trade. No one had anything like that deal. There were even some who stomped their feet at mere thought that the great Diaz would be an add on piece.

Ditto Cain. 5 years and pick. Good God what a stupid contract.

That said, the lineup badly needed to bring in players who are professional hitters and these two are definitely that. As I stated in the Cain thread, the Brewers of 2017 only scored when they hit HRs and they stopped doing that when they were badly needed and guys like Thames and Shaw remembered they were Thames and Shaw and wilted down the stretch. Cain and Yelich are much better players for a team that wants to play October baseball.

So yes this was a big overpay for both, but the Brewers MLB club is also very much improved for 2018.

Archived