Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110

Good point about Brewers OF being set at least through 2020.

This really means Corey Ray and Trent Clark can only turn into trade chips if they figure it out at the higher levels of the minors.

Really wanted the Brewers to draft some high upside pitchers with those first round picks, and now in hindsight, really wish they would have......Despite the Brewers horrific track record of developing SP.

For what it's worth I wanted them to take LHP Brady Aiken and AJ Puk at the time.

Love the Yelich trade!!!

Losing Monte Harrison hurts but I'm glad it was him over Corbin Burnes.

Now Stearns can target a high end SP via trade and offer their choice of:

Santana/Broxton/Phillips/Ray/Clark/etc

And

Woodruff/Ortiz/Freddy Peralta/etc

Go Brewers!

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To bad Ray didn't pan out so either he was a gem still in the system or included in this trade, allowing us to keep Harrison or Brinson.

I'm going to give Ray at least one more MiLB season before saying a 5th overall draft pick didn't pan out. Yes, he's been disappointing thus far...but the talent is still there to drastically improve on-field results. This trade essentially swings the door wide open for him to play everyday at whatever level he needs to be at and progress towards MLB.

Harrison basically broke out in the AFL, but has still been inconsistent at best - yes, his ceiling is sky high, but I'd like to see him do it in the minor leagues 1-2 more seasons before feeling confident he could realize that potential. I'm sure the Brewers could've found a way to make it work, but he was going to need to be protected on their 40 man this year clearly before he was ready to contribute in Milwaukee.

To me, the main thing that could hold Brinson back is injuries - and from the Brewers' perspective he profiled as a player they would have needed to be very patient with to allow him to adjust to the majors. I think he'll have a nice MLB career, but it's not like we didn't get an already great player in return for him - and Yelich will be a Brewer basically as long as Brinson will be a Marlin before he reaches free agency.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I come late like the balls of the duchshund (italian expression)

:laughing

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Here’s how I see the trade:

Gave up Brinson, Harrison, Diaz, Yamamoto.

Receive: Yelich, spots for 3 players that would have been exposed in the next Rule 5 draft, potential for high return if Yelich is flipped for prospects in 3 years.

Two very good players in Cain (at least in the near terms) and Yelich but my goodness did Stearns get taken to the cleaners on both deals.

He must have really wanted both players because he badly overpaid for both which is interesting since OF was hardly an area where we had few options.

That's fine if you believe that but why? There's questions marks with all four guys we gave up and potentially, none of them could pan out. Sure, there's a chance all of them pan out but how likely is that? The point is, if you're going to make a blanket statement like he got "taken to the cleaners", at least expand on why you think so.

For me, I think both sides win. Not every trade needs to have a winner and a loser. Of course one side might "win" a little more but both sides can benefit. We sent a lot of talent out but also a lot of risk. If Yelich performs like he has without even improving, and one of the guys we sent reaches his potential, I think it's a win-win for both. Hardly being "taken to the cleaners."

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Not sure why anyone thinks $16M a year for Cain is an overpay. He's well worth that if you can even get 3 out of 5 years close to his recent production.

I'm not crazy about the 5th year either but to be honest he could have gotten 4/80 in this day and age instead of 5/80 and the sports world wouldn't have been the least bit fazed by it.

Not sure why anyone thinks $16M a year for Cain is an overpay. He's well worth that if you can even get 3 out of 5 years close to his recent production.

I'm not crazy about the 5th year either but to be honest he could have gotten 4/80 in this day and age instead of 5/80 and the sports world wouldn't have been the least bit fazed by it.

What is it again... 1 war = 8 mil? So 10 war. If he has 2 more years like last he's damn close already. Averaged about 4.5 a year so far.

Two very good players in Cain (at least in the near terms) and Yelich but my goodness did Stearns get taken to the cleaners on both deals.

He must have really wanted both players because he badly overpaid for both which is interesting since OF was hardly an area where we had few options.

That's fine if you believe that but why? There's questions marks with all four guys we gave up and potentially, none of them could pan out. Sure, there's a chance all of them pan out but how likely is that? The point is, if you're going to make a blanket statement like he got "taken to the cleaners", at least expand on why you think so.

For me, I think both sides win. Not every trade needs to have a winner and a loser. Of course one side might "win" a little more but both sides can benefit. We sent a lot of talent out but also a lot of risk. If Yelich performs like he has without even improving, and one of the guys we sent reaches his potential, I think it's a win-win for both. Hardly being "taken to the cleaners."

I will agree with Boomer here, and toss in my reason for agreeing.

Prior to the trade we had an OF looking like: LF Braun, CF Broxton/Phillips RF Santana, with Brinson looking like he might be pushing for that CF starting job.

Post-trade and signing our OF now looks like: LF Yelich CF Cain RF Braun? .... Santana most likely on the move? Phillips staying as the 4th OF? Broxton on the move? I just don't think the upgrade from the old OF to the newly constructed OF is worth Brinson, Harrison, Diaz, Yamamoto & a 5 yr/80M contract (I actually think it's a solid contract, I wouldn't call it a steal, but they didn't overpay).

I'm hoping Stearns is still able to get value for Santana, Broxton, Braun, and/or Phillips, whichever combo of those guys he decides to deal, because all other 29 GMs now know he has to deal one of those guys at minimum. If he's able to acquire another helpful piece or two in this deal/these deals, then my tune on the Jan. 25th happenings might change, but I'll wait until I see what that is.

I still just don't understand the theory that Stearns is going to be hamstrung now because GMs know he wants to trade Domingo. They've known that since the Winter Meetings. Everyone knew the Marlins wanted to trade Yelich, but I'd say they still did quite well for him.

Or if you want a better example, back in 2015 the Mets nixed the trade we had with them for Gomez. We had about 24 hours to dump Gomez on someone when the entire world knew that we wanted to and we ended up with Santana, Hader, Phillips and Houser.

Teams will pay for something they want and need especially when someone else wants it too. If they don't, stand your ground and wait it out. They have 2 months to figure this out, if Santana is still on the roster at the end of the week or even the month it's not a big deal.

:laughing

Well, you're nothing if not predictable. I'm not laughing at your opinion, just that I would've bet my life you were going to say it.

To make any grand proclamations about getting taken to the cleaners is really, really silly. We'll see.

this offseason has dragged on so slowly that teams eyeing Santana in a potential trade aren't going to suddenly jump ship or ask for more Brewer prospects to finish the deal because of yesterday's acquisitions in Milwaukee. It's very likely that any Santana trade agreed to in principal between GM's hinged on both the Yelich deal and even moreso the Cain signing. Since Cain's signing won't be official until today, I believe, a Santana trade couldn't happen 1st.

I'm intrigued by the idea of a Santana, Cain, Yelich OF with Braun at 1st if and only if another FA starting pitcher gets signed. Otherwise, I'd rather use Santana in a trade to acquire a starter in hopes that Braun puts together a reasonably healthy season in left. I think Cleveland's a better fit than Tampa based more on Santana headed towards arbitration already after 2018. An Archer trade probably would require pitching prospects headed to Tampa in addition to Santana, and I think we all know who that would be. Cleveland has some SP depth and they are obviously in a position to win now - so they'd be more willing to bolster a hole in the MLB lineup and worry about Santana's increasing cost later without having to get pitching prospects as part of a deal, especially if the Brewers take back Salazar/Kipnis as part of a potential trade.

this offseason has dragged on so slowly that teams eyeing Santana in a potential trade aren't going to suddenly jump ship or ask for more Brewer prospects to finish the deal because of yesterday's acquisitions in Milwaukee. It's very likely that any Santana trade agreed to in principal between GM's hinged on both the Yelich deal and even moreso the Cain signing. Since Cain's signing won't be official until today, I believe, a Santana trade couldn't happen 1st.

I'm intrigued by the idea of a Santana, Cain, Yelich OF with Braun at 1st if and only if another FA starting pitcher gets signed. Otherwise, I'd rather use Santana in a trade to acquire a starter in hopes that Braun puts together a reasonably healthy season in left. I think Cleveland's a better fit than Tampa based more on Santana headed towards arbitration already after 2018. An Archer trade probably would require pitching prospects headed to Tampa in addition to Santana, and I think we all know who that would be. Cleveland has some SP depth and they are obviously in a position to win now - so they'd be more willing to bolster a hole in the MLB lineup and worry about Santana's increasing cost later without having to get pitching prospects as part of a deal, especially if the Brewers take back Salazar/Kipnis as part of a potential trade.

The Cain deal was official almost immediately after it dropped. He had already passed the physical and everything. That deal was planned ahead.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Late to the party here.

We now have our OF set for years, so if this trade was what we wanted, it made sense to highlight it with two good upper minors OF prospects, allowing us to keep most of our pitching prospects. These moves get us looking more and more like a playoff roster for the foreseeable future. There is no way after making these moves that Stearns is going to stand pat and allow Villar/Sogard/Perez to be our opening day 2B, and I expect further addition(s) to the pitching staff.

There are more moves to be made, and at the end of it, we should have a much improved roster at the MLB level, will have a payroll in the $100M range, and will still have a pretty good farm. The last time we made a big splash, we were obviously looking at a 1-2 year "window" before things fell apart (Greinke and Marcum for two years, one year left on Fielder). I do not at all have that feeling about these moves. I'm worried about Cain's contract going through his age 36 season, but I think we could be good for a long time.

At the very least, it will be nice to see an offense that isn't setting strikeout records. We should be a much more consistent offense which will be refereshing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Can we assume that we give Yelich a QO when his contact is up (if he's not traded before that)? In essence we did get a prospect from Florida, we just don't know who it is.

Way too far out to assume anything. I mean yeah you'd think so but Gomez looked like a budding star at 26 too. That's post-2022 and Yelich will be 31. Won't even fall under the current CBA so impossible to even say that the current QO system will even be a thing.

Can we assume that we give Yelich a QO when his contact is up (if he's not traded before that)? In essence we did get a prospect from Florida, we just don't know who it is.

Good point I mean if he's a 4WAR+ projection for 5years, how are you not giving that? But, then again, do QOs even exist in 5years?

Good point I mean if he's a 4WAR+ projection for 5years, how are you not giving that? But, then again, do QOs even exist in 5years?

There will have to be some sort of free agent loss compensation. No way the owners give that up.

I won't pretend to know much about prospects, as I don't follow the minors, but from what I can tell, Yelich is basically what we were hoping Brinson would become. Now we don't have to wait to see if Brinson actually becomes that.

I figure Santana will be dealt for pitching, so the starting OF will be Yelich/Cain/Braun. I also think Broxton will be dealt, putting Phillips as the 4th OF and Perez as the super-sub 5th OF.

Archived