Brewer Fanatic

Yelich to the Brewers in exchange for Brinson, Isan Diaz, M. Harrison and Yamamoto

MVP2110

Part of me wonders if Stearns actually views the *larger* advantage in continuously obtaining young, controllable talent is *to* trade them for established pieces rather than to see who actually pans out hoping one becomes a superstar.

Maybe in his calculations it takes 4 big time prospects to have 1 actually be the superstar you need, and while the others could be serviceable pieces, those positions can be filled in FA easily. Not to mention, you're using up major league roster spots in the meantime to allow players to develop and figure out who can make an impact at this level. So if you can trade 3 big prospects for a known star, you use up 1 fewer prospect finding a player and you remove some of the risk involved in both possibly not find that player at all and in wasting multiple roster spots on developing players who may ultimately bust.

I don't know if any of that is true or not, but it'd be really interesting to hear DS's theories in this regard.

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Part of me wonders if Stearns actually views the *larger* advantage in continuously obtaining young, controllable talent is *to* trade them for established pieces rather than to see who actually pans out hoping one becomes a superstar.

Maybe in his calculations it takes 4 big time prospects to have 1 actually be the superstar you need, and while the others could be serviceable pieces, those positions can be filled in FA easily. Not to mention, you're using up major league roster spots in the meantime to allow players to develop and figure out who can make an impact at this level. So if you can trade 3 big prospects for a known star, you use up 1 fewer prospect finding a player and you remove some of the risk involved in both possibly not find that player at all and in wasting multiple roster spots on developing players who may ultimately bust.

I don't know if any of that is true or not, but it'd be really interesting to hear DS's theories in this regard.

I think it's probably a mix of the two. I don't think you can go all in on keeping every prospect or trading every prospect. Teams need vets and cheap talent.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

For those who don't like giving up the prospects, the Brewers can likely get 3 great years from Yelich and then trade him for 2-3 top prospects - all before any of the players the Brewers gave up (except perhaps Brinson) are ready to be above replacement value. The 5 years of control is huge - and why the Brewers needed to give up so much.

For those who don't like giving up the prospects, the Brewers can likely get 3 great years from Yelich and then trade him for 2-3 top prospects - all before any of the players the Brewers gave up (except perhaps Brinson) are ready to be above replacement value. The 5 years of control is huge - and why the Brewers needed to give up so much.

Exactly. We can rent him for 3 years and trade him at 29 if things aren't going as hoped and still probably get comparable value back to at least Brinson + Diaz.

Losing Harrison is rough, but it's pretty amazing to still have Woodruff/Burnes/Ortiz all escape the trade.

Well I made mention in rumors that Miami's system is stocked in Pitching, infield outside of 3 b basically 0. You remove your entire starting OF it only made sense to acquire 2 with a 2b/ss vs 1 of each.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I will add that I think Yelich is a great addition. It took a lot. Harrison stung for me the most. I knew Brinson would have to be part of the deal, so I was resigned to that. But I really liked Harrison's upside. I don't think anyone in the system had his combination of power/speed and ceiling. Brinson had those things too - but again, I was sort of resigned to losing him. It just stung a bit that we gave away the two guys in the system with really crazy high upsides (but I will admit - with big risks).

In the end, the deal is done and I'm a Yelich fan. Time to play ball.

The MLBTradeRumors comment section used to be "good" for a an internet comment section but has really turned to crap the last couple years especially on posts regarding the big market teams. I skimmed the Yelich trade comments and it's 99% Cubs fans/trolls talking crap about how bad the Brewers are and will be.

The MLBTradeRumors comment section used to be "good" for a an internet comment section but has really turned to crap the last couple years especially on posts regarding the big market teams. I skimmed the Yelich trade comments and it's 99% Cubs fans/trolls talking crap about how bad the Brewers are and will be.

Agreed. Its become incredibly toxic.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Thank you lol

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I will add that I think Yelich is a great addition. It took a lot. Harrison stung for me the most. I knew Brinson would have to be part of the deal, so I was resigned to that. But I really liked Harrison's upside. I don't think anyone in the system had his combination of power/speed and ceiling. Brinson had those things too - but again, I was sort of resigned to losing him. It just stung a bit that we gave away the two guys in the system with really crazy high upsides (but I will admit - with big risks).

Well said. This is where I am. I’m surprised we lost Harrison on top of Brinson, but I still like where we are headed.

I do hope we keep Phillips after the dust settles. Left handed bat, insane arm, etc.

Now that Harrison is gone, my next great hope is Lutz.

Well said. This is where I am. I’m surprised we lost Harrison on top of Brinson, but I still like where we are headed.

I do hope we keep Phillips after the dust settles. Left handed bat, insane arm, etc.

Agreed on Phillips. I think he can be a huge asset to the team and I also really hope Burnes doesn't go anywhere. Phillips as a 4th OFer would be amazing and Burnes can hopefully take over a rotation spot in the next few years allowing us to trade someone for prospects to keep payroll down(while restocking the farm). Obviously each can be had in the right trade, but both could be very helpful in the near future.

I just spent the entire evening, the last 3 hours, flipping back and forth between the Major League Forum and Rumors/Transactions forum and had no lag time between posts. Constant outpouring of posts.

That was fun...

Let's see what tomorrow brings!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Still have a lot of great prospects on the farm. The pitching is basically all still in tact, and numerous position players could break out in '18 - Hiura, Erceg, Grisham, Ray, Dubon, Gatewood, Lutz. Lots of exciting things happening on the farm still.

Obviously lots of exciting things happening in Milwaukee. Crazy how we are about 5 hours removed from calling this the most boring off-season ever.

I just spent the entire evening, the last 3 hours, flipping back and forth between the Major League Forum and Rumors/Transactions forum and had no lag time between posts. Constant outpouring of posts.

That was fun...

Let's see what tomorrow brings!

Yeah my fingers hurt. Cue the happy gilmore quotes.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I’m with you on Lutz. If reports of his pre-draft 110-mph exit velocities are accurate he has a chance to be a difference maker with the bat.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Agree - I’m excited about Burnes. I thought he was a steal in that draft.

For the right deal, I’m ok with dealing Peralta or even Woodruff, assuming a good pitcher is coming back, but Burnes is a guy I’d like to see play out in Milwaukee. Ortiz is another with good stuff and upside I’d rather not lose, but not to the same extent as Burnes.

Burnes (and Ortiz) could both be Wily Peralta or Manny Parra but so be it. I’d like to see it play out.

The other nice thing that keeps me positive is our really young guys have early signs of potential when you think of not just Lutz but also Carmona, Ernesto, Feliciano, and some others. Grisham and Ray can still develop at higher levels.

Archived