Brewer Fanatic

Trevor Hoffman Elected to Hall of Fame

Eye Black

Brewers press release on Trevor Hoffman's Baseball Hall of Fame election:

Trevor Hoffman Elected to Baseball Hall of Fame

Collected His 600th Major League Save as a Brewer

Former Milwaukee Brewers closer Trevor Hoffman was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame today. The announcement was made this evening by Hall of Fame President Jeff Idelson on the MLB Network. The induction ceremony will take place on Sunday, July 29, in Cooperstown, New York.

Hoffman, who is second on the all-time Major League list with 601 saves, spent two of his 18 seasons with the Brewers (2009-10), producing 47 saves. He was a National League All-Star during his first season with Milwaukee as he went 3-2 with a 1.83 ERA and 37 saves in 55 games. He notched his 600th career save during his second season as a Brewer on September 7, 2010 vs. St. Louis.

"My time in Milwaukee is looked upon as two of the most rewarding years of my career," said Hoffman. "The passionate baseball fans of 'The Crew' took me in and gave me great support."

Hoffman, who retired following the 2010 season as the all-time Major League leader in saves (later passed by Mariano Rivera), joins Hank Aaron (1982), Rollie Fingers (1992), Don Sutton (1998), Robin Yount (1999) and Paul Molitor (2004) as the only players to play for the Brewers and be elected to the Hall of Fame.

"In just two years, Trevor made a big impact on this franchise," said former teammate and current Brewers manager Craig Counsell. "He made us all better people and players through laughter and preparation. We were all fortunate to witness his 600th career save on a magical night at Miller Park. On behalf of the Milwaukee Brewers, congratulations to Trevor Hoffman on his election to the Hall of Fame."

Complete Coverage

Hoffman will be just the 6th former Brewers player to enter the Baseball Hall of Fame (full list below).

[pre]Player w/ Brewers Elected

Hank Aaron 1975-1976 1982

Rollie Fingers 1981-1985 1992

Don Sutton 1982-1984 1998

Robin Yount* 1974-1993 1999

Paul Molitor* 1978-1992 2004

Trevor Hoffman 2009-2010 2018[/pre]

* Played more games with Milwaukee than any other team

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I think this year’s class all deserve to be in. Obviously Hoffman goes in as a Padre but very cool that he played here for two seasons and was able to achieve a big milestone save while with us. Seemed like a true class act

Good gravy, does this mean the Brewers will retire #51? I hope not. Two years with the club at the tail end of his career does not, in my mind, mean that we should retire it.

Congrats to all 4 guys (plus Morris and Trammell and Costas) but I thought Edgar Martinez was going to get in, too.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I really doubt the Brewers retire his number. Don Sutton pitched for the Brewers for three seasons and did so in a World Series team and his number isn’t retired. I think maybe adding him to the Wall of Honor if he isn’t there already would be appropriate or perhaps

Indicting him into the Brewers Walk of Fame thing outside at Miller Park at most

Hoffman and all this years crop deserve it. It’s ridiculous Vlad didn’t make it last year. Plenty more deserve to make it. Maybe they didn’t win enough MVPs and CY Young’s when rounded up monsters were outpacing them. All deserving (way more than Jim Rice, Jack Morris, etc)

-Edgar Martinez,

-Crime Dog

-Andruw Jones,

-Mussina

-Schilling

-Jeff Kent

I am glad Vlad and Thome got in both were deserving to get in. Not all that thrilled with Hoffman and Chipper getting in.

Are you saying Chipper isn't deserving?

He might be the 3rd best 3B ever... At worst he's 6th.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I am glad Vlad and Thome got in both were deserving to get in. Not all that thrilled with Hoffman and Chipper getting in.

Yeah no idea on that either. There’s no logical reason why hes Not a HOFer

Nice to see the #EdgarHOF campaign finally paying dividends. Next year is the year!

Martinez is in the "Hall of the Very, Very Good" for me. Same with Jones, McGriff. You can tell the history of baseball in the 90's/2000's without mentioning them. I think the voters were spot-on this year (on the fence about Clemens). (That, and Martinez hit a career high in HRs at age 37, the only time he hit more than 30 in a year. Hit more HRs at age 37 than Thome with only ~50 more PAs, and didn't start falling off until age 39. Somewhat suspicious to me.)

The next four years are pretty lean though as far as sure HOFs (pretty much just Rivera). Some of these guys will get in.

Given that they've been two of the more talked about cases late in the voting process, I kind of expect Rolen and Andruw Jones to see the two biggest jumps next season. I will say Jones has a better case than I thought he did. The fact that his offensive dropoff came at 30 had stuck in my head and morphed into thinking he only had a five-or-so year prime when it actually lasted nine seasons.

Good gravy, does this mean the Brewers will retire #51? I hope not. Two years with the club at the tail end of his career does not, in my mind, mean that we should retire it.

It seems like you are suggesting that the Brewers have already retired numbers that should not be retired. Perhaps you are thinking of Aaron and Fingers. Aaron's number was clearly retired because of his baseball roots in Milwaukee and he finished his outstanding career and hit his last HR in a Brewer uniform. I personally would not want to see any Brewer after Aaron wearing 44. It deserves to be retired. In regards to Fingers. He played the last 4 years of his career and recorded his last save with the Brewers. One of those years he won both the MVP and Cy Young award, and many argue that the Brewers would have won the 82 WS if he had been healthy. His number being retired is possibly the only one I might question out of the current Brewer retired numbers, but I really don't have an issue with it considering his impact while with the Brewers.

In regards to the uniform number 44 in baseball in general. It it has always bothered me when I see a "non-star" type player wearing that number. Not only did Aaron wear that number, but also Reggie Jackson and Willie McCovey (and I believe that there are a few more that I'm forgetting at the moment).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Nice to see the #EdgarHOF campaign finally paying dividends. Next year is the year!

Martinez is in the "Hall of the Very, Very Good" for me. Same with Jones, McGriff. You can tell the history of baseball in the 90's/2000's without mentioning them. I think the voters were spot-on this year (on the fence about Clemens). (That, and Martinez hit a career high in HRs at age 37, the only time he hit more than 30 in a year. Hit more HRs at age 37 than Thome with only ~50 more PAs, and didn't start falling off until age 39. Somewhat suspicious to me.)

The next four years are pretty lean though as far as sure HOFs (pretty much just Rivera). Some of these guys will get in.

Edgar Martinez has the same career OPS+ as Jim Thome, who got on on his Hitting alone. Bernie Williams and Scott Toen are hall of very good. Edgar is HOF if you look at his career productivity.

Edgar Martinez has the same career OPS+ as Jim Thome, who got on on his Hitting alone. Bernie Williams and Scott Toen are hall of very good. Edgar is HOF if you look at his career productivity.

Who's Scott Toen?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm guessing you meant Scott Rolen.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Not sure how you could be against Chipper while being for Vlad, honestly. They're pretty identical hitters while Jones played a tougher position.

Agree with you on Hoffman.

I'm not sure how anyone can be upset at any of the guys that got in. They are all deserving.

What I will say though is I wish they would just bite the bullet and put Bonds/Clemens in as well as Rose. It is so silly to have this HOF when three of the best players ever are not involved. The steroid era is as much on major league baseball as it is on those players. Enough is enough already.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Who's Scott Toen?

Edit: Nevermind, I'm guessing you meant Scott Rolen.

Yep. Quick phone typo. My bad

I'm not sure how anyone can be upset at any of the guys that got in. They are all deserving.

What I will say though is I wish they would just bite the bullet and put Bonds/Clemens in as well as Rose. It is so silly to have this HOF when three of the best players ever are not involved. The steroid era is as much on major league baseball as it is on those players. Enough is enough already.

They would have to put in Joe Jackson as well if the Hall is looking only at on-Field performance and ignoring other stuff. In fact, I think one can make the argument for Jackson and Rose ahead of Bonds or Clemens since their infractions didn’t effect on field stuff

I think it is pretty silly Clemens/Bonds are not in when they are on the actual ballot. If Rose made it to the ballot and still wasn't elected I would think that was odd as well. You know they will get in so why wait until year 10 and take away votes from others in the process.

I just never thought of Chipper being an elite level player good player just not great to me.

I just never thought of Chipper being an elite level player good player just not great to me.

He's almost the exact same hitter as Guerrero as a 3rd baseman. To each his own I guess.

Archived