Brewer Fanatic

How would you lay out your cards as Brewers' GM for Yelich?

I assume Brinson will be gone. Hiura, Burnes, Erceg, and Harrison are the guys I’d prefer to keep most. I wouldn’t expect a second mlb ready OF to also be in the trade so that would make Maverick safe. Since Castro wants out, take on him and include villar but wouldn’t add anything as far as prospects for him.

If we take Yelich and Castro, with the Marlins not chipping anything in money-wise, why not get a discount on the price tag?

Brinson, Dubon, and Bickford would still give them a blue-chip CF, a young 2B/SS, and a RHP, but also reflects the Crew taking the Castro headache off their hands.

Once you have Castro, who played a fair bit of SS about 90 miles south of Milwaukee, you now use Davies and Arcia to snag Greinke, and if the crew takes on most of the salary, they can get some lottery tickets back.

Once you have Castro, who played a fair bit of SS about 90 miles south of Milwaukee, you now use Davies and Arcia to snag Greinke, and if the crew takes on most of the salary, they can get some lottery tickets back.

Davies/Arcia>>>>>>>>>>>Greinke at this point in his career. That would be a scary bad trade even if Arizona paid all of Greinke's salary. Plus, why in the world would we trade a starter going into his age 25 season who is cost-controlled for several more seasons and already profiles as a strong #3? This is one of the more "out there" scenarios I've seen.

Davies/Arcia>>>>>>>>>>>Greinke at this point in his career. That would be a scary bad trade even if Arizona paid all of Greinke's salary. Plus, why in the world would we trade a starter going into his age 25 season who is cost-controlled for several more seasons and already profiles as a strong #3? This is one of the more "out there" scenarios I've seen.

If Arizona paid Greinke to pitch for Milwaukee, I'd do that. But I'd rather take salary on and get some prospects in return for doing Arizona that favor.

The trades I postulated still leave the Brewers with Ortiz, Burnes, Derby, Ventura, Ponse, Supak, Yamamoto, and Perrin. Not one of the Brewers' pitching prospects are dealt. Plus, they get some lottery tickets for the low minors.

Short-term, the Brewers would have Greinke, Nelson, Anderson, Chacin, and Woodruff/Suter in the rotation.

Here's how I do it...

You give them Brinson

You give them the choice between Ortiz/Woodruff

You give them the choice between Diaz/Dubon

You give them a TOP 20-25 guy like Diplan or Bickford

You ask for Castro and Yellich.

Fills our hole at 2B and CF.

Then we flip Santana to Cleveland, Boston, Arizona or KC for a SP. (Salazar, Duffy, Corbin etc.)

If it were a perfect world, that's what I would do. Losing those 3 prospects would hurt but not as much as it would hurt us to lose out on Yelich and then Brinson never pans out. Stearns knows our prospects better than anyone. I'm sure he has guys he values over others. We need to stop thinking that all of our pitching prospects are future studs and sit back and realize that is not the case. It wasn't too many years ago that Lopez looked like our savior in the wings. The guy has completely tanked since being our #1/#2 prospect just a few years ago. He'll likely never make it to the majors. We have to assume that's a possibility with all the SPs we currently have.

To sum it up I feel like in the end, we can afford to lose 3 top 10 prospects for a guy like Yelich as long as Stearns has other moves setup. Adding Yelich doesn't do enough in itself and I also don't believe Yelich + Lynn = Playoffs. We need another piece to fall and if HH19's inside info has been correct, then it certainly sounds like Stearns has other deals lined up to fill other holes if this deal goes through.

Just remember when we traded for CC Sabathia. The big prospects in that deal ended up being complete duds. The only guy Cleveland ended up getting a bunch of value out of was Michael Brantly (and he was the PTBNL). LaPorta was almost exactly where Brinson sits right now (A Top 30 prospect) and everyone seems to think he'll be a solid MLB-player. All hypothetical.

We KNOW Yelich is a good Major Leaguer. A VERY good Major Leaguer. I love how our fans are really high on our farm system and so am I but to think that Brinson and one other guy is enough to get Yelich is absurd. It's going to take at least 3 of our TOP 10 prospects to get him. And I'm definitely OK with it. I think the one untouchable should be Burns and maybe Hiura. Everyone else should be on the table at this point.

I'll be in the Molitor Lot by the Corn Hole with a Colt 45 and 2 Zig-Zags.

In a fantasy world:

-Trade for Yelich, Realmuto, Barraclough

Give up: Brinson, Ortiz, Pennington, Harrison, Pina

-Trade for Abreu

Give up: Ray, Peralta, Thames

-Trade for Salazar, Kipnis

Give up: Santana

-Sign Cain, 3yr/$47M

Lineup:

1. Yelich- RF (L)

2. Cain- CF

3. Braun- LF

4. Shaw- 3B (L)

5. Abreu- 1B

6. Kipnis- 2B (L)

7. Realmuto- C

8. Arcia- SS

*This team would have a career average of .342 OBP and .808 OPS. Now that would put butts in the seats and W's in the standings.

Bench: Sogard-IF (L), Perez-IN/OF, Phillips-OF (L), Vogt-C (L), Choi-1B/OF (L)

Rotation:

1. Nelson (when/if healthy)

2. Anderson

3. Salazar

4. Davies

5. Chacin

6. Woodruff/Suter

Pen:

CL- Knebel

SU- Barraclough

SU- Hader

MR- Barnes

MR- Logan

LR- Suter

LR- Jeffress

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Here's how I do it...

You give them Brinson

You give them the choice between Ortiz/Woodruff

You give them the choice between Diaz/Dubon

You give them a TOP 20-25 guy like Diplan or Bickford

You ask for Castro and Yellich.

That's an Easy Brinson, Woodruff, Diaz, and Diplan.

Woodruff is so much further along than Ortiz who is at least 2 full years away from Starting in MLB. Woodruff will have 350+IP of similar #3 stats as you hope Ortiz reaches or betters, but easily could tank on Starting altogether with his health and only become a RP down the road. Woodruff is Starting from day with 0 RP concerns.

Diaz has so much higher a ceiling over Dubon's utility profile.

I took Diplan because the upside is there without the massive downside on Bickford.

On a 4 grade scale it's like A, A-, B, C vs A B-/C+ B-/C+ and C+/F

I'd just do a one stop shop with the Marlins for most everything we need. Throw half the farm at them doing so.

Brewers receive:

Christian Yelich, JT Realmuto, Starling Castro, and Kyle Barraclough

Marlins Receive:

Lewis Brinson, Corbin Burnes, Isan Diaz, Caden Lemons, and Trent Grisham

Trade Domigo Santana to Cleveand for Danny Salazar straight up.

Sign Lance Lynn or Alex Cobb.

Our Line up would be:

C: Realmuto

1B:Thames

2B:Castro

3B:Shaw

SS:Arcia

LF:Braun

CF:Yelich

RF:Phillips

Bench: Pina/Villar/Perez/Aguilar/Broxton

Rotation: