Brewer Fanatic

Darvish

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't this guy Yu's personal catcher in Texas? Would be an interesting development if we all got our hopes up for Yu only to see him sign in Chicago.

That could be the end of any chance we have of landing Darvish. Too perfect that the freaking Cubs will be the ones to end that dream.

Darvish will be making a decision involving potentially tens of millions of dollars between various teams, important clauses in those contract offers, where he'll live the next 4-6 years, how competitive he feels each team will be, etc etc, so i have a hard time believing that who the backup catcher is on the team he signs with will be up there with the other factors.

Not saying it would be a deciding factor, but every little thing that can be done to sway a decision can't hurt the Cub's chances. I think this may hold more importance to Darvish than most will acknowledge. Will having this guy ALONE make him go to the Cubs? Probably not, but it might be the nudge that gets a deal done.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Put me in the camp that thinks this is bad news for the Brewers chances of landing Darvish. I won’t claim it takes them out of it by any means, but it seems clear the Cubs are preparing to make a very strong play for Darvish.

I just feel like a minor league deal doesn't change anything, not even a little bit. Cubs could easily sign Darvish and cut this catcher the next day. Maybe the Cubs make a play for him, I doubt this signing moves the needle though.

Or the Cubs could agree to keep him on so that darvish signs, then actually follow through on their promise to keep Darvish happy. Again, not saying this will be the reason darvish signs with the Cubs, but it could be a factor, no matter how slight...

Put me in the camp that thinks this is bad news for the Brewers chances of landing Darvish. I won’t claim it takes them out of it by any means, but it seems clear the Cubs are preparing to make a very strong play for Darvish.

Yup, and won't they just love to stick it to us like that?

Publicly announcing that we made him an offer is a not so subtle way of telling the other teams to get in their offers.

Otherwise, he would have just accepted our offer.

This is my take too. Spring training is rapidly approaching and his camp leaking this is telling the big markets it's time to put up their best offer as he has to sign soon. One of them will trump ours and that'll be it. I'd trust Stearns doesn't have a ridiculous offer on the table and that if somehow he did sign with us that we'd be ok with the deal. However, that also means the offer is very beatable and that's what I think will happen.

This. Using media leaks as leverage. Didn't that happen a long time ago with A-Rod too? I thought there were media leaks of Boston being in on him, which caused the Yankees to to offer the ridiculous contract they did.

I though HH19 did a great job of explaining what team Darvish was looking at when he reported that they were in sit down mode discussing Milwaukee. There wasn't a whole lot on that list that I would have bet on as a big draw for Milwaukee.
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Was Darvish option A high heat?

No

I am 80% confident option A is Santana to the Indians with option B being Cain and option C being Darvish or Arrietta depending on the return for Santana.

The other option would be Santana to the Rays and that makes very little sense for the Rays to be doing that trade.

Another option that hasn't been brought up recently is Gardner as the Brewers have had interest in him in the past.

Final option would be the Blue Jays, would Santana+ be enough for Donaldson? I am not sure but that would be a significant trade.

Final option would be the Blue Jays, would Santana+ be enough for lDonaldson? I am not sure but that would be a significant trade.

I’m assuming the Blue Jays would want further away prospects as they’d be signaling a teardown and I don’t think that Santana is enough to be a ceneterpiece.

Yup, and won't they just love to stick it to us like that?

I worry that the Cubs signing Darvish coupled with the Brewers signing Arrieta may lead toward two divergent paths, and not in a good way as far as the Brewers are concerned.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Darvish to the Brewers made no sense on so many levels.

I cant image too many people are surprised by high heats post.

His camp made the offer public to bring in the real offers. I suspect the Brewers offer was mostly to drive up the price to the Cubs or to show the fans the FO is trying.

Darvish to the Brewers made no sense on so many levels.

I cant image too many people are surprised by high heats post.

His camp made the offer public to bring in the real offers. I suspect the Brewers offer was mostly to drive up the price to the Cubs or to show the fans the FO is trying.

The level of cynicism from some is getting a little tired. We’re a small market. Deal with those realities or go root for a big market team that proves their FO is trying by actually signing albatross contracts like Heyward or Ellsbury.

Maybe premature, but Cubs fans are getting excited by this news (LINK)...

A person with direct knowledge of the discussions says the Chicago Cubs are having active talks with free-agent pitcher Yu Darvish.

In a matter of 24 hours I’ve gone from hoping the Brewers sign Darvish to hoping he signs with anyone but the Cubs.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Part of me wonders if Stearns is playing some serious chess here. Put in a substantial offer and leak the news to stir the pot on Darvish and get himself "outbid", at the same time engage other teams in trade talks for starting pitching. Maybe it's just coincidence, but it wouldn't surprise me. Stearns is 2 steps ahead of some GM's and 10 steps ahead of most others.

The trying to jack up the price is nice but in the end if the Cubs get Darvish, it just makes it that much tougher for us to win the division and get a playoff spot.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived