Brewer Fanatic

Darvish

however, I never want to see him in rotation outside of spot starts.

Wouldn't this be what it is?

Spot starting is maybe getting a game here or there...maybe two in a row. Then that not happening often. Starting two straight month is a full time starting gig.

We did not make these aggressive moves to in the end have Suter starting that many games. Brent Suter, between August and September, made 8 starts and proceeded to go 4.5 innings on average. You are not going to put that in the rotation. David Stearns is a fool if he does. However I am confident he isn't and Suter will not be in the rotation.

And for the love of BrewerFan.net I get you like him Clancy, but how rosy do your Suter goggles have to be to say Suter has the potential to be a high-end #2? Those kind of guy don't average 5 innings or less per start. They don't need to be pulled before the other team starts to see him a third time through the order. If you believed in him being a back end #5 starter I would respectively disagree, but please explain the thought process and information that leads you to have that kind of thinking because I have forgotten.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A healthy Woodruff is a likely high-end #3 starter. Rarely blows up, usually gives six innings or more.

What makes you say that? Woodruff had a grand total of 3 games where he topped 6 innings. At no point in his minor league did he come particularly close to averaging 6 innings a game. Fangraphs refers to him as, "a big-league-ready, sinker/slider fourth starter." Unless he can bring his strikeout rate up (which his minor league history shows is a possibility), I think that's about right. Among qualified starting pitchers, he would have been 47th out of 58 in k/9.

And for the love of BrewerFan.net I get you like him Clancy, but how rosy do your Suter goggles have to be to say Suter has the potential to be a high-end #2? Those kind of guy don't average 5 innings or less per start. They don't need to be pulled before the other team starts to see him a third time through the order. If you believed in him being a back end #5 starter I would respectively disagree, but please explain the thought process and information that leads you to have that kind of thinking because I have forgotten.

It's because he's irrationally attached to Suter. I get it, Suter is a fun story, and one of those guys you root for. He's got a fun personality, and really seems to be a competitor on the mound.

We all get irrationally attached to certain players sometimes. Mine is Brett Phillips. It's to the point where I want the team to trade an .830 OPS 25-year-old who slugged 30 HRs last year, and make a guy that will go down as a Top 3 player all time in team history switch positions at 34 years old, in order to get Phillips into the starting lineup on a regular basis.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm fine with Suter being on the team in a long relief/spot start role. He's probably earned that. But we've seen way, way, way, way, way too many guys like Steve Woodard, Junior Guerra, Taylor Jungmann, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, come up, look good for a start, a few starts, or a full trip around the league, and then just get figured out, and then look like garbage.... to think that Suter is anything more than what he is. A back end filler or bullpen guy. I can't for the life of me imagine that Stearns plan is to go into the season with Suter slotted into the rotation, even until Nelson gets back.

They're going to get SOMEONE. It's gonna be Darvish, or Lance Lynn, or Cobb, or maybe even someone who's name hasn't even hit our radar yet, but I'll bet a case of brewskis that before the 3rd week of spring training, the have another starter on the 40 man that's not there now.

Anderson

Davies

XXXXXX

Chancin

Woodruff

Cobb or Lynn would be fine with me at XXXXXX (three years would be the my wish).

YoGo and Suter to fill in and long relief, with Nelson coming back mid-season. If everything is going hunky-dunky at mid-season, be a contender, and go get a rent-an-arm.

It's because he's irrationally attached to Suter. I get it, Suter is a fun story, and one of those guys you root for. He's got a fun personality, and really seems to be a competitor on the mound.

We all get irrationally attached to certain players sometimes. Mine is Brett Phillips. It's to the point where I want the team to trade an .830 OPS 25-year-old who slugged 30 HRs last year, and make a guy that will go down as a Top 3 player all time in team history switch positions at 34 years old, in order to get Phillips into the starting lineup on a regular basis.

I'm looking at some numbers:

The following were posted by a pitcher which MLB.com listed as a dark horse Cy Young Candidate:

1.354 WHIP

9.6 H9

2.5 BB9

5.8 K9

Suter's numbers:

1.286 SHIP

9.1 H9

2.4 BB9

7.1 K9

If Suter gets a shot at starting (none of this bullpen/rotation MLB/AAA shuffle from the last two years), I think he does about as well as Davies. His ERA was about a half-run lower than that of Davies.

Archived