Brewer Fanatic

Darvish

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd love Darvish on the Brewers but if they're the best offer and he's delaying because it's Milwaukee you have to wonder if this is a guy you want in the clubhouse.

Could be he's only delaying hoping he'll see an increased offer, or he feels none of the offers are what he feels his worth is. Problem is, we've reached the point of the offseason where offers rarely increase.

Honestly I'd just pull the offer to Yu and tell him we're dropping out at this point. It's pretty apparent by now that at worst he's just using our offer for leverage to try to get to where he really wants to go and has no intention of signing here. At best he's willing to come here but only for a premium.

So it's either just a waste of our time, or bad business to be involved in a bidding war where we need to generously exceed the top offer just to be considered.

Darvish has no interest in playing here. Milwaukee would have to be 20% plus higher than everyone else and even at that he would really not want to be here once he sees the 2018 FA contracts.

I have accepted the Brewers are in full win now mode but guys like this aren't the answer.

I really think we don't know enough to be claiming things like that as a certainty. Maybe our offer isn't the best out there. Maybe it is, but Darvish feels he can do better. Maybe it indeed is the case that we'll need to offer more than the Cubs (As they offer a better chance of a WS in the very near future as things stand), but that all depends on how much more. I don't see any reason to pull the offer before pitchers report to camp, and not even straight away then. It depends on the backup plan; if option #2 looks likely to be available throughout camp, why not be in it to the end? If the Brewers really like the next guy too, then yeah do move on. It seems like a game of chicken to a certain extent, because as soon as the suitors drop off, there's a chance that the price drops along with the demand for his services. So staying in the race could yield big benefits, or it could leave you the odd man out in a game of musical chairs.

You don’t drop your offer because you want the Cubs to max pay. Sorry, no bargains for the Cubbies. Hopefully, they will add a couple more Heyward type contracts.

Boras is an idiot comparing Darvish to Strasburg. Could teams ever say we are not dealing with you if you utilize Boras. Is that collusion?

Pitchers report next Wednesday the 13th. I would do the musical chair thing starting then if the situation does not clear up in the mean time. Make a "Final and Best Offer", give them a day to answer and then move on. (Feel free to adjust order or amounts or years)

Monday Darvish Day (5/110). Sign by 8:00PM or we pull the offer. No need to make this public. Move on to Arietta.

Tuesday Arietta Day (4/88). Sign by 8:00PM or we pull the offer. No need to make this public. Move on to Cobb.

Wednesday Cobb Day (4/52). Sign by 8:00PM or we pull the offer. No need to make this public. Move on to Lynn.

Thursday Lynn Day (4/48). Sign by 8:00PM or we pull the offer. No need to make this public.

Thursday Garcia Day (2/16). Sign at 8:00PM.

Pitchers report next Wednesday the 13th. I would do the musical chair thing starting then if the situation does not clear up in the mean time. Make a "Final and Best Offer", give them a day to answer and then move on. (Feel free to adjust order or amounts or years)

Tuesday Darvish Day (5/110). Sign by 8:00PM or we pull the offer. No need to make this public. Move on to Arietta.

Wednesday Arietta Day (4/88). Sign by 8:00PM or we pull the offer. No need to make this public. Move on to Cobb.

Thursday Cobb Day (4/52). Sign by 8:00PM or we pull the offer. No need to make this public. Move on to Lynn.

Friday Lynn Day (4/48). Sign by 8:00PM or we pull the offer. No need to make this public.

Friday Garcia Day (2/16). Sign at 8:00PM.

I'm guessing the Brewers have a pretty good idea what it will take to sign any one of those players. Likewise, they probably have a darn good idea what it will take in terms of the trade targets. This is mostly politics at this point. Who is going to blink first? Besides, it was reported by someone, don't remember who, that the Brewers had already made an ultimatum offer and were flatly rejected. If they did in fact go groveling back with another offer then their power to do so again, with anyone, has to be almost nil.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Tuesday Darvish Day (5/110). Sign by 8:00PM or we pull the offer. No need to make this public. Move on to Arietta.

Wednesday Arietta Day (4/88). Sign by 8:00PM or we pull the offer. No need to make this public. Move on to Cobb.

Thursday Cobb Day (4/52). Sign by 8:00PM or we pull the offer. No need to make this public. Move on to Lynn.

Friday Lynn Day (4/48). Sign by 8:00PM or we pull the offer. No need to make this public.

I'm guessing the Brewers have a pretty good idea what it will take to sign any one of those players. Likewise, they probably have a darn good idea what it will take in terms of the trade targets. This is mostly politics at this point. Who is going to blink first? Besides, it was reported by someone, don't remember who, that the Brewers had already made an ultimatum offer and were flatly rejected. If they did in fact go groveling back with another offer then their power to do so again, with anyone, has to be almost nil.

Then you agree we should move on with it?

Darvish has no interest in playing here. Milwaukee would have to be 20% plus higher than everyone else and even at that he would really not want to be here once he sees the 2018 FA contracts.

You don’t drop your offer because you want the Cubs to max pay. Sorry, no bargains for the Cubbies. Hopefully, they will add a couple more Heyward type contracts.

Yes and yes. Seems that Darvish is only using the Brewers as a bargaining chip, and if that's the case I don't want him here. But I am all for being that chip for him to drive up the Cubs price.

I realize I'd probably eat my words, but at this point I'm getting annoyed enough with him that I kind of hope the Cubs sign him just so we can play him and (hopefully) destroy him.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Then you agree we should move on with it?

I don't. I don't think ultimatum offers are going to work given the position the Brewers are in. They can put the offers out there but they have play this game of chicken that this off-season has turned into.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I don't. I don't think ultimatum offers are going to work given the position the Brewers are in. They can put the offers out there but they have play this game of chicken that this off-season has turned into.

Yep, the only way you pull the offer is if you acquire a couple other starters via trade or free agency. Maybe not even then. Because if the Cubs are the last team standing with their supposed 4/90 offer, and they get him for that, I'd be very pissed. If the Brewers aren't getting Darvish, they at least have to continue turning the screws.

I wouldn't give up on Darvish just because he'd rather play in another market. It could be at the end of the day they end up with the best offer and he's forced to choose among mid-market offers. If he'd end up choosing Milwaukee, I wouldn't be concerned about a club house issue based on market. Club house issues are usually about personalites and/or losing

I wouldn't give up on Darvish just because he'd rather play in another market. It could be at the end of the day they end up with the best offer and he's forced to choose among mid-market offers. If he'd end up choosing Milwaukee, I wouldn't be concerned about a club house issue based on market. Club house issues are usually about personalites and/or losing

Exactly. These guys are multi-millionaire professional athletes who can jet anywhere they want on their off-time. I think the idea of players not wanting to play certain places is somewhat overblown. Most of the time, these guys follow the money or follow the need for a championship. I mean, a California kid like Braun I'm sure is not a big fan of living in Wisconsin more than half the year. But he does it because he's a professional and its his job, and he's getting paid millions to do it.

And Darvish by all accounts is a very good locker room presence who has been extremely popular with teammates at all stops. He's also very intelligent, and knows that embracing the situation and the fanbase is the best way to win them over and create goodwill (i.e. marketing opportunities).

I think I would rather Stearns go find the next Anderson/Nelson type of pitcher at this point. Go get McHugh or someone in that position and let our pitching coach work his magic.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I wouldn't read much about Yu being hesitant about Milwaukee only because the Brewers offer (despite being the rumored highest) isn't close to what he was after going into free agency. If he wants 200 million and there are no offers close to that, he's essentially taking a discount wherever he goes so it makes sense for him to be bullish about where he signs for less than he wants. If the Brewers gave him a 200 million dollar offer and he STILL was hesitant about going to Milwaukee, then I would be concerned.

I think I would rather Stearns go find the next Anderson/Nelson type of pitcher at this point. Go get McHugh or someone in that position and let our pitching coach work his magic.

'

Some years I would agree, but if you're serious about competing for a title or even the division, you're not taking flyers on average guys unless you absolutely have to. Teams that are rebuilding can afford to do that - and it got us Chase Anderson which is great! And yes, it would be great to strike gold and find a cheap guy that produces like Chase did last year. But when you want to take the next step, you can't afford to grab off the scrapheap and hope for the best. Now is the time to get known quantities like Darvish when you have the resources.

I would say as long as it takes - adding Darvish at whatever value they think is worth will make them better at any time. They probably have offers to all FA pitchers they think they want to sign and none of them will bite until Darvish goes, so I would say they just wait it out and hope he goes with them.

I don't get the aversion to Lynn. He isn't young but isn't old, Tommy John really isn't what it used to be and he had another great year last year. He has always been awesome in terms of K/BB, throws decently hard and has pitched in the playoffs. If Darvish is turning down $110mm I think the numbers reported on Lynn are an absolute steal.

Yep, the only way you pull the offer is if you acquire a couple other starters via trade or free agency. Maybe not even then. Because if the Cubs are the last team standing with their supposed 4/90 offer, and they get him for that, I'd be very pissed. If the Brewers aren't getting Darvish, they at least have to continue turning the screws.

And that is exactly why the entire world is waiting for Darvish to sign. I would bet money one of the other major FA pitchers has an offer they would accept, but they aren’t going to get the chance to finalize it until Darvish picks a landing spot for the exact reason you stated. The second the Brewers sign Cobb they won’t go after Darvish and everyone would know that. If that led to a team like the Cubs getting a discount it wouldn’t be good. Everyone is pretending to be in on Darvish whether they actually think they can get him or not just to keep his price up for the eventual winner.

For that reason it would be incredibly shocking if one of the other pitchers signed first.

I don't get the aversion to Lynn. He isn't young but isn't old, Tommy John really isn't what it used to be and he had another great year last year. He has always been awesome in terms of K/BB, throws decently hard and has pitched in the playoffs. If Darvish is turning down $110mm I think the numbers reported on Lynn are an absolute steal.

Probably the stink of former Cardinal pitchers playing for the Brewers. Not exactly a great track record.

Plus, the same doubt that Arrieta brings. His own team doesn't want him.

Archived