Brewer Fanatic

Darvish

But brewers having the top offer doesn't matter because it's stay way under what Darvish thinks he deserves.

I don't even think that's it. I truly think that Darvish wants to play for about 2 teams, and he's using the rest to drive up the price. I really don't think he wants to play in the midwest. We're probably the top offer, but I'm sure his people are shopping it to places he actually wants to play to see if they'll match.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But brewers having the top offer doesn't matter because it's stay way under what Darvish thinks he deserves.

I don't even think that's it. I truly think that Darvish wants to play for about 2 teams, and he's using the rest to drive up the price. I really don't think he wants to play in the midwest. We're probably the top offer, but I'm sure his people are shopping it to places he actually wants to play to see if they'll match.

Which they won't because of luxury tax.

Didn't someone recently confirm that the Brewers have the top offer? If he can't accept it at this point, STAY AWAY. It is extremely dangerous to acquire a player who doesn't want to be there but only went because it's the top offer, and a starting pitcher that age at that price is already dangerous enough.

I'm not worried about them making an incredibly short-sighted trade for Archer, because Stearns knows better than to end up on the wrong side of a Gomez/Lucroy type of trade. But this is the first time he's had a blank check in free agency and I don't know how he's going to approach it because there's little short-term downside in lost prospects/picks. The problem is that it could very well be a bad contract much sooner than most people assume.

If you were a FA pitcher like a Darvish and had offers from Chicago, NY, LA, ect... would you want to go to Milwaukee? I know we as Brewer fans are excited and we love our Brewers but it’s been a crappy franchise who hasn’t won much and is stuck in one of the smallest markets. Considering how regional the MLB that’s not a great thing for some of these players.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Didn't someone recently confirm that the Brewers have the top offer? If he can't accept it at this point, STAY AWAY. It is extremely dangerous to acquire a player who doesn't want to be there but only went because it's the top offer, and a starting pitcher that age at that price is already dangerous enough.

I'm not worried about them making an incredibly short-sighted trade for Archer, because Stearns knows better than to end up on the wrong side of a Gomez/Lucroy type of trade. But this is the first time he's had a blank check in free agency and I don't know how he's going to approach it because there's little short-term downside in lost prospects/picks. The problem is that it could very well be a bad contract much sooner than most people assume.

Just because he isn't signing here now doesn't mean he doesn't want to be here at all. He just wants to be in la more. Can you blame him? They are a better team. He has familarity with the team. LA has the highest Japanese population in the US outside Hawaii. If you are looking at houses and have two you like but one is your dream home however it is a little out of your price range. You are going to see if the owners of your dream home come back with a counter that works for you. If they don't you will go with the second home that is a good option. That is what is happening. People are acting like Yu is a jerk because we aren't his first choice and that he is waiting to see if his first choice can make room for him. If we all had the leverage he does we would do the exact same thing

Sorry, but the whole he doesn’t want to be here so STAY AWAY thing is a bit out there. Never hope for a FA ever again because if you think we are ever the preferred destination you are sadly mistaken. Also better never want to trade for anyone or draft them...because they will prefer to be somewhere else.

Sorry, but the whole he doesn’t want to be here so STAY AWAY thing is a bit out there. Never hope for a FA ever again because if you think we are ever the preferred destination you are sadly mistaken. Also better never want to trade for anyone or draft them...because they will prefer to be somewhere else.

Winning cures all ills. The Minnesota Timberwolves and Houston Astros (from the doldrum years) say hi.

Winning cures all ills. The Minnesota Timberwolves and Houston Astros (from the doldrum years) say hi.

The Timberwolves? Almost every free agent would still choose Golden State and Houston and numerous others over the Timberwolves. Sure they are more likely but it hasn't made them the top destination. Baseball and basketball are quite different to with the cap space. The Brewers hope to be able to be a team that isn't written off by free agents but I doubt they ever become a lace guys view as better than LA or NY unless the player doesn't like big cities. The endorsements, culture, etc in those cities is hard to beat for the average player. Nothing wrong with that. Just reality. We are never likely to be the top choice

I don't think he cares that much about Los Angeles. He wants more money is probably the issue. And so far nobody is giving him (or all of the other free agents) what they think is fair.

I don't think he cares that much about Los Angeles. He wants more money is probably the issue. And so far nobody is giving him (or all of the other free agents) what they think is fair.

Fair is what the market says is fair. I'm getting tired of the players and agents whining about it all. The economics of employment are changing in MLB much as they have in society in general. Deal with it.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Fair is what the market says is fair. I'm getting tired of the players and agents whining about it all. The economics of employment are changing in MLB much as they have in society in general. Deal with it.

Great post 82, I couldn’t agree more. No markets go straight up, the players and agents are acting like total babies!!!

I understand what you're implying. But, there has been more than 1 high profile player the Brewer acquired via trade with a big market team, or FA signing, that said they loved their time in Milwaukee

I’d also like to add that players typically don’t live in their Team’s city during the off-season. The best time to be in Milwaukee is the summer through fall. So, it’s not like by signing here they need to get out and buy a snowblower.

I’d also like to add that players typically don’t live in their Team’s city during the off-season. The best time to be in Milwaukee is the summer through fall. So, it’s not like by signing here they need to get out and buy a snowblower.
Exactly. It's overblown. Players spend half the season on the road, and spend Spring Training in either Florida or Arizona. I think most players care most about some combination of money and winning.

Unless a guy has roots in a certain area where they want to play and stay (like a Derek Jeter in New York), I think team location is mostly irrelevant.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Exactly. It's overblown. Players spend half the season on the road, and spend Spring Training in either Florida or Arizona. I think most players care most about some combination of money and winning.

Unless a guy has roots in a certain area where they want to play and stay (like a Derek Jeter in New York), I think team location is mostly irrelevant.

Unless that place is in Canada, eh?

:laughing

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Except that the players share of revenue by percentage continues to grow smaller and smaller, year by year. The "market" should dictate that the players could be paid handsomely, and then some at this point (which they are). Players salaries are disproportinately and artificially held down because of the 6 year rule, and then by the time they are able to actually hit the free market, teams are now saying "you're too expensive to pay on the open/free market", which is actually false, based on the reported revenues that teams are making.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Officially close the door on Texas for Darvish. They're about to sign B. Colombo anchor their rotation.

Jeez that guy's like a host from Westworld. Keeps resurrecting his career.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Except that the players share of revenue by percentage continues to grow smaller and smaller, year by year. The "market" should dictate that the players could be paid handsomely, and then some at this point (which they are). Players salaries are disproportinately and artificially held down because of the 6 year rule, and then by the time they are able to actually hit the free market, teams are now saying "you're too expensive to pay on the open/free market", which is actually false, based on the reported revenues that teams are making.

Its a different philosophy running the show now. The operations folks are valuing productivity differently and are starting to see the folly in paying a guy for past production for the next ten years. The MLBPA negotiated these rules. If agents want to be mad at someone, be mad at player representation.

In general, income has become almost exclusively stagnant while industry revenues continue to grow. If the players and their representation failed to see that obvious trend, or thought themselves immune, then that is on them. Let 'em boycott, see how that ends up for them.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Officially close the door on Texas for Darvish. They're about to sign B. Colombo anchor their rotation.

Jeez that guy's like a host from Westworld. Keeps resurrecting his career.

At season's end: "Cease all motor functions."

Spring training: "Bring yourself back online."

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I think this is a misread of the situation. I doubt the problem is that he has a strong preference NOT to play for the Brewers. If he feels his best offer is a lowball, he's going to continue holding out. The fact that the best offer is from Milwaukee is probably irrelevant at this point.

I think this is a misread of the situation. I doubt the problem is that he has a strong preference NOT to play for the Brewers. If he feels his best offer is a lowball, he's going to continue holding out. The fact that the best offer is from Milwaukee is probably irrelevant at this point.

He wants what Strasburg got. The problem is he's 3 years older than Strasburg.

Archived