Brewer Fanatic

Darvish

I would tend to agree with you but what's the deal with knowing Johnsonville was taking over the day before it was announced and that Cain was going to sign a 5 year deal.

[sarcasm]Hey Outlander! I was just contacted by a Somalian prince who is giving away all of his wealth! He let me choose one other person to get $1,000,000! I think you are the perfect fit. All I need is your bank account number and routing number so he can send the money to your account![/sarcasm]

Thanks Bro, PM sent.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you just give him 5 Years at $150M.. Yeah, it sucks, but it guarantees you he signs today, instead of having to wait and then inevitably losing him..

The people on the Cubs board seem to think Theo has an offer of 4/$90 out for Darvish that they expect him to take...checking in on them from time to time is hilarious.

Why exactly do the Cubs fans think Darvish will give them a non-hometown discount?

He is not signing for less than 100 and it be closer to $130 over 5 years. That is what my offer would be to him and structure it as 30-28-26-24-22 so the present value is better for Darvish/Boras and he would be less of a drag by the 5th year.

Why exactly do the Cubs fans think Darvish will give them a non-hometown discount?

He is not signing for less than 100 and it be closer to $130 over 5 years. That is what my offer would be to him and structure it as 30-28-26-24-22 so the present value is better for Darvish/Boras and he would be less of a drag by the 5th year.

Because Cubs fans think it's every players lifelong dream to play for the Cubs...or something

So Heyman thinks the Brewers have the top offer. Cubs only want him at a discounted deal. Dodgers can't shed payroll and neither can Texas.

But brewers having the top offer doesn't matter because it's stay way under what Darvish thinks he deserves. So this trickles down to the other FA pitchers and trading target acquisition costs. Sound about right.

Thanks for the summary NOMAAM! Here are the Darish tidbits from Heyman's article yesterday (https://www.fanragsports.com/inside-baseball-mlb-notes-betts-arb-win-could-affect-others/):

Chicago Cubs

The Cubs are still in the mix for Yu Darvish but for now seem to be hoping that Darvish will choose them for reasons that are not economic. The Cubs are a very attractive team/organization and Chicago is a great city so it is entirely possible they win this, but they appeared to be running behind in terms of the offer, quite likely to at least the Brewers.

Los Angeles Dodgers

There are “hurdles” to a potential Yu Darvish return, as Dodgers people have admitted. One obvious hurdle is that they aren’t far enough under the luxury tax threshold to allow them to stay under with a Darvish signing. But another hurdle is said to be some ambivalence by at least some on the subject from ownership following Darvish’s rough World Series, according to sources. So while Darvish has said he’d be interested in a return – and some Dodgers people seem to love him – it still seems like other teams make more sense.

Minnesota Twins

The Twins don’t look like a favorite for Yu Darvish. But they are interested in adding a veteran starter, and Alex Cobb looks like a real possibility.

Texas Rangers

The Rangers’ hopes for Yu Darvish appear to be based on a thought that Darvish might take less since 1) he lives in the Dallas area and 2) there is no state tax in Texas. Anyway, it is hard to consider them a favorite.

Have to admit it is exciting to hear that the Brewers might have the highest offer to Darvish

At some point the free agent starting pitchers have to sign somewhere, right? They aren't going to sit out the season.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Have to admit it is exciting to hear that the Brewers might have the highest offer to Darvish

At some point the free agent starting pitchers have to sign somewhere, right? They aren't going to sit out the season.

Spring Training being 6 weeks is mostly for the benefit of SPs to build up to 100 pitches. Darvish can hold out do to being the top guy. But if I'm Jaime Garcia, Chris Tillman, Lance Lynn, and maybe Cobb I'm getting nervous this week.

Thought HighHeat mentioned something about Darvish making a decision by Monday, you’d think 10 days away they’d want to get things rolling, hoping for some good news tomorrow

Thought HighHeat mentioned something about Darvish making a decision by Monday, you’d think 10 days away they’d want to get things rolling, hoping for some good news tomorrow

Thought he also said he was a lock for the Cubs?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This is just me, but I feel like if the Dodgers really wanted to sign Darvish and if Darvish to the Dodgers was a real possibility, it would have happened months ago. Los Angeles is not waiting on any parallel signings, at most they just have to clear payroll space and that shouldn't be a real obstacle if they were waiting to sign a huge free agent.

Darvish's agent is probably upset that the market is so far down this year, with Chicago lowballing and the Brewers and Twins not being huge markets, and so he is holding out until the very last minute to hope that someone blinks.

I could see Darvish ending up in Milwaukee on a slightly lower contract than expected, with the compromise being that Darvish can opt out after 3 years or something like that. (Slightly lower meaning something like 5/$130M)

This is just me, but I feel like if the Dodgers really wanted to sign Darvish and if Darvish to the Dodgers was a real possibility, it would have happened months ago. Los Angeles is not waiting on any parallel signings, at most they just have to clear payroll space and that shouldn't be a real obstacle if they were waiting to sign a huge free agent.

Darvish's agent is probably upset that the market is so far down this year, with Chicago lowballing and the Brewers and Twins not being huge markets, and so he is holding out until the very last minute to hope that someone blinks.

I could see Darvish ending up in Milwaukee on a slightly lower contract than expected, with the compromise being that Darvish can opt out after 3 years or something like that. (Slightly lower meaning something like 5/$110M)

I like the opt out keeps players motivated. The Cubs just made the mistake of giving to large of a deal to mostly glove player like Heyward.

I would love signing him, having him pitch for 3 years, then him opting out. That is a dream scenario if you ask me. Odds are though, if his decline starts before then (a likely situation), we would be stuck with that contract.

I have such mixed feelings on signing this guy, they change daily.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I would love signing him, having him pitch for 3 years, then him opting out. That is a dream scenario if you ask me. Odds are though, if his decline starts before then (a likely situation), we would be stuck with that contract.

I think an opt out is highly likely no matter who he signs with. I'd give it to him after 2 years to be honest.

I’m guessing that a lot of mid to small market teams and their fans feel this way.

As it becomes obvious that a players aged 25-29 are the game’s peak performers, it just becomes hard to go all in and pay somebody for past performance that will almost certainly not be repeated.

I don’t think there’s collusion. There’s just Fangraphs.

I feel like the brewers could be a little creative with their offer.

What would a 6/150 offer with break down of 30, 30, 25, 25, 20,20

With player opt after 2 years and team opt out after 4 years.

Basically on the hook for 4/110 if it goes poorly in the first 2 years rough but not a death sentence.

Yu would have the ability if he is dominate over the next 2 years to opt out if he can get more, but than we probably have a Ace for a nice 2 year run. If he struggles a little in first 2 years and doesn’t opt out.

Brewers can decide at the end of year 4 if he is worth another 40 million.

I feel like the brewers could be a little creative with their offer.

What would a 6/150 offer with break down of 30, 30, 25, 25, 20,20

With player opt after 2 years and team opt out after 4 years.

Basically on the hook for 4/110 if it goes poorly in the first 2 years rough but not a death sentence.

Yu would have the ability if he is dominate over the next 2 years to opt out if he can get more, but than we probably have a Ace for a nice 2 year run. If he struggles a little in first 2 years and doesn’t opt out.

Brewers can decide at the end of year 4 if he is worth another 40 million.

Give the old vesting option

Dodgers fans really don’t want to resign Darviah after his poor performance in the WS. Don’t know how much management shares their view. He’s not very popular out here.

It was reported in the last week some in the front office really didn’t want to bring him back due to the World Series showing. If Darvish struggles overall or in a playoff series that fan base will destroy him.

Archived