Brewer Fanatic

Darvish

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant help but think of how good Yu has been before WS, I would love to add him.

I know he's not consider an ACE, but definitely the TOR pitcher we need so everyone in the rotation now can be knocked down a peg.

Darvish

Nelson (When he comes back)

Anderson

Davies

Chacin

Woodruff/Suter

That's definitely a competing rotation!!

I mean I'm not too keen on the idea of adding 30+ pitchers on big contracts. But if we had to do it, I'd want it to be Darvish as I'm a big fan.

Darvish would be a better fit, simply because he doesn't cost the Crew a draft pick.

Plus, this isn't just getting Darvish. If he is signed, and Nelson is ahead of schedule on his recovery. then one of Davies or Woodruff becomes part of a trade package - and that leads to a haul of prospects or a new second baseman.

One negative is the Brewers were presumably the one team operating in the shadows for Darvish. I am sure this Darvish news will pique the Cubs interest. If the report had first come from a US news source I would think maybe they are trying to drive up the price for the Cubs, but it seems like they probably weren’t anticipating a Japanese outlet making this public. I guess the essence of free agency is they were going to have to pony up the best offer either way, but this puts the Cubs and Twins on notice.

The other negative is that I have now gotten my hopes up.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

One negative is the Brewers were presumably the one team operating in the shadows for Darvish. I am sure this Darvish news will pique the Cubs interest. If the report had first come from a US news source I would think maybe they are trying to drive up the price for the Cubs, but it seems like they probably weren’t anticipating a Japanese outlet making this public. I guess the essence of free agency is they were going to have to pony up the best offer either way, but this puts the Cubs and Twins on notice.

The other negative is that I have now gotten my hopes up.

I agree with what you wrote here but I'm thinking the team spurred to action is the Twins.

Also, I have a nagging suspicion that if the Twins signed/ brought back Chris Gimenez as a catcher, Darvish goes to the Twins if money is at least close with other places. Yu & Chris have had a great working relationship in Texas previously & Yu supposedly likes the way Chris catches him... I know Yu had contacted Chris & picked his brain about the Twins, the area, etc earlier this off season (per a MLBTR report)..

I’m pleased to read this. I like him #1 and Arrieta #2 on the market, but I didn’t think they’d still be around. One thing to keep in mind is that we could sign him to 6 years, but in all likelihood he wouldn’t play all 6 here. We often think of these contacts are locked in place, but he could receive an out clause or be traded.

Publicly announcing that we made him an offer is a not so subtle way of telling the other teams to get in their offers.

Otherwise, he would have just accepted our offer.

This is my take too. Spring training is rapidly approaching and his camp leaking this is telling the big markets it's time to put up their best offer as he has to sign soon. One of them will trump ours and that'll be it. I'd trust Stearns doesn't have a ridiculous offer on the table and that if somehow he did sign with us that we'd be ok with the deal. However, that also means the offer is very beatable and that's what I think will happen.

This doesn't necessarily mean other teams haven't made Darvish an offer. It's just that "knowledge" of the Brewers' one has become public.

That said, I'm intrigued. And Darvish's posting of it and the hand-chin-raised-eyebrow emoji may be indicative of something relevant to Brewers Nation....

It could mean that he's at least considering it, although I doubt the Brewers are in the lead.

The big market teams are the ones either trying to stay under the cap, or eyeing next year's FA crop or both. It could come down to Brewers vs. Twins. I think the Cubs ideally want Cobb so they can preserve money for next year's crop.

Yu's "people" are in sit down mode and currently determining the Brewer's direction as an organization. In other words are the Brewer's ready to compete at the highest level.

Offer seems to be acceptable. However, does he want to play for Milwaukee, are they going to win extensively and does he want to call it home.

Yu's "people" are in sit down mode and currently determining the Brewer's direction as an organization. In other words are the Brewer's ready to compete at the highest level.

Meanwhile, the Brewers "people" are in sit down mode and currently determining if they are ready to compete at the highest level.

Offer seems to be acceptable. However, does he want to play for Milwaukee, are they going to win extensively and does he want to call it home.

This seems plausible based on the way the article translated. I also think it is likely the Brewers would have to overpay somewhat significantly over an offer from a team like the Cubs for this very reason. I think we could potentially see a scenario where the team he signs with isn't his highest offer. It might also be why the trade rumors are swirling, if he wants them to "prove" they are close to contending. Not that dissimilar from Greinke citing the acquisition of Marcum as a reason he waived his no trade agreement.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Being 1 game out of the playoffs with a young team should be enough to be considered competing in coming years. Add in that Cin and Pit are in tank mode and that helps too.

The living in MKE portion, yea not so easy to convince him on that end. But I'm assuming the big markets and west coast teams that seemingly would fit him better aren't offering close or he wouldn't even be considering it.

I don't know how the Angels aren't in on him. I know they signed the new Japanese guy to pitch, but their starting pitching is still rough and they're cleary in win now mode. I'm sure it's all about the tax for them, so i guess I'm just saying they shouldn't half-arse it, might as well go all-in if you're them.

Is Yu Darvish kind of a diva? lol from his tweets to some of the things you hear, I don't know. It'd be interesting to hear the pitch Stearns gives about the Brewers and Milwaukee. Especially to an Asian player.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Is Yu Darvish kind of a diva? lol from his tweets to some of the things you hear, I don't know. It'd be interesting to hear the pitch Stearns gives about the Brewers and Milwaukee. Especially to an Asian player.

He seemed like kind of a diva in Japan. I believe he posed naked for a magazine, and not the the ESPN body issue kind of naked.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The living in MKE portion, yea not so easy to convince him on that end. But I'm assuming the big markets and west coast teams that seemingly would fit him better aren't offering close or he wouldn't even be considering it.

Tell him it's only 90 minutes to Chicago

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think 86 wins with a young team and a bunch of prospects likely to be ready in the next 2 seasons answers whether they’re ready to compete

No, there's a ton more to it than that. It's like a job interview except form the employee's end.

Stuff like:

What is the projected revenue from the Brewer's in the next 5 years and exactly how much did the Brewer's make and how much can they make. In other words, can the Brewer's spend at future deadlines if needed to push.

What are the Brewer's philosophy on hitting, pitching and the game itself?

What are Brewer's Front office tendencies?

Is there a vibrant Asian community in Milwaukee?

Etc, etc....

The more I think about this, the happier I'd be with the Brewers getting Darvish over Arrieta.

I think my enthusiasm wanes the bigger the deal gets though. I really hope that any deal we give any starter is 4 years or less.

4/100 is something I could live with for Darvish though, I think, assuming that Attanasio is willing to bump yearly payroll up to the $120M range.

The more I think about this, the happier I'd be with the Brewers getting Darvish over Arrieta.

I think my enthusiasm wanes the bigger the deal gets though. I really hope that any deal we give any starter is 4 years or less.

4/100 is something I could live with for Darvish though, I think, assuming that Attanasio is willing to bump yearly payroll up to the $120M range.

Wouldn't the Brewers still be well below that, even with signing Darvish?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Same here, I'm assuming and trusting Stearns that this deal would be more along those lines than a ridiculous 6/140 type thing that is just too big a risk in MKE. And really the current price being that low is the reason why MKE is even involved. Obviously could be wrong but that's my guess.

Wouldn't the Brewers still be well below that, even with signing Darvish?

My point was just that I'm good signing Darvish for this if it means we still have flexibility to make more moves in the future. I'm not sure Darvish is the only big contract we'll need to really compete over the length of that contract.

Archived