Brewer Fanatic

Darvish

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is Darvish really that superior to Arrieta? If both are 28M a year players for example, but it takes 5/140 for Yu and 3/84 for Arrieta, I'll take Arrieta.

Posted this elsewhere but Darvish has under 3ERA in 63% of his games in wins/no decisions. A 2.35 ERA and 6.12ERA in the losses only 37% of starts.

Arrieta has a 1.6ERA in 46% of his starts of Wins only. 24.6% of his starts of no decisions is a 4.04 ERA. Losses at 7.17.

Taking the majority of Arrieta's starts his no-decision/losses 54% of the time he's a 5.36 ERA pitcher.

Yeah Darvish is a far better pitcher.

I have no idea what I just read but I'm pretty sure it's hilarious.

Is Darvish really that superior to Arrieta? If both are 28M a year players for example, but it takes 5/140 for Yu and 3/84 for Arrieta, I'll take Arrieta.

Posted this elsewhere but Darvish has under 3ERA in 63% of his games in wins/no decisions. A 2.35 ERA and 6.12ERA in the losses only 37% of starts.

Arrieta has a 1.6ERA in 46% of his starts of Wins only. 24.6% of his starts of no decisions is a 4.04 ERA. Losses at 7.17.

Taking the majority of Arrieta's starts his no-decision/losses 54% of the time he's a 5.36 ERA pitcher.

Gruber Lawffices

Ahh yes. Athletes on their final contracts. They want the sun and the moon and unicorns, but most of all they want money. Problem is, after signing that final contract, motivation is zero. I'm sure there may be some personal pride, but the seasons are long, and the retirement light at the end of the tunnel becomes brighter and brighter. This guy hasn't dreamed about winning the World Series. There is no worry about performing for the next contract. Retirement contracts worth gobs of money scare the sh*t out of me

Of course they want money. You like being paid for your labor too I assume? As it stands now, free agency is the one chance a player has to actually receive what they are worth and deserve, since the years of team control and arb years suppresses their wages in their prime years and ownership reaps huge profits off of their labor in that time. And this is just the Major League portion of their career, most players grind away in the minors for years making next to nothing. Don’t blame players for wanting the money they rightly deserve just because the system is set up to prevent them from receiving that money until the downslope of their career (generally).

Yes - comparing my job and salary and impact is exactly the same as Darvish to the Brewers ....... or not even close

Ahh yes. Athletes on their final contracts. They want the sun and the moon and unicorns, but most of all they want money. Problem is, after signing that final contract, motivation is zero. I'm sure there may be some personal pride, but the seasons are long, and the retirement light at the end of the tunnel becomes brighter and brighter. This guy hasn't dreamed about winning the World Series. There is no worry about performing for the next contract. Retirement contracts worth gobs of money scare the sh*t out of me

Of course they want money. You like being paid for your labor too I assume? As it stands now, free agency is the one chance a player has to actually receive what they are worth and deserve, since the years of team control and arb years suppresses their wages in their prime years and ownership reaps huge profits off of their labor in that time. And this is just the Major League portion of their career, most players grind away in the minors for years making next to nothing. Don’t blame players for wanting the money they rightly deserve just because the system is set up to prevent them from receiving that money until the downslope of their career (generally).

Yes - comparing my job and salary and impact is exactly the same as Darvish to the Brewers ....... or not even close

Except that isn't what he did. Point is, you leverage your skills and experience to maximize the amount of compensation you receive. That is all the players are doing and I don't blame them one bit. If that scares you, then so bit it. Someone else spending their money as they see fit is not a scary proposition for most.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Or more?! Where does he think that money is coming from?

It's not likely, but not impossible that Mark A would blow up the salary for a few years. They have had real low payroll for the last several years in the piggybank.

Plus, he is a billionaire with a baseball hobby. He wants to win, so does it really matter if payroll is $170MM or whatever for a few years? The value of the team has gone up substantially since he bought them, so that's another factor.

So looking at it that way, he's still far from losing money if he explodes the payroll for a few years. Maybe I'm just looking at it from the "what would I do if I had a billion" point of view. I would want to win, even if I lost money for a couple years on my hobby while raking in massive amounts in my day job over the past year.

Mark A. will never (and should never) use his personal fortune to fund splurges the team makes. The Teams finances need to stand on their own for the health of the organization. Also people need to remember that Mark A. does not own 100% of the team. While he is the controlling owner talk about busting the budget and ponying up more money is not just a matter of Mark cutting a check.

Please stop with the comments along the lines of "well he can afford it..."

Sorry it clearly goes over your head.

We also need to keep in mind that salaries will probably blow up next off season and whatever we pay Darvish will look better in 3 years than it does now. I remember when Braun signed his extension and I thought $20 mil was absolutely ridiculous and even with Braun's drop off, the 20 mil does look ridiculous anymore.

The top pitchers next off season will probably all make more than Darvish does this year and we probably won't have a shot at any of them. I would love to pounce now on Darvish and let everyone spend their last pennies next year on the shiny new toy.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Mark A. will never (and should never) use his personal fortune to fund splurges the team makes. The Teams finances need to stand on their own for the health of the organization. Also people need to remember that Mark A. does not own 100% of the team. While he is the controlling owner talk about busting the budget and ponying up more money is not just a matter of Mark cutting a check.

Please stop with the comments along the lines of "well he can afford it..."

What does this even mean? Personal fortune? The team's revenue is part of his personal fortune so of course he's using that to fund the team. The fact of the matter is, the Brewers could have a $200 million payroll and Mark would still be profiting quite a bit. Owning a baseball franchise is insanely lucrative and doesn't require much effort. All you need is a ton of money that you'd never be able to spend in a lifetime anyways. I want to see a quality product on the field, I do not care about some billionaire's pocket book, and I'll never understand the desire of regular working folks to defend the wealth of the super-rich.

Just because the value of the franchise has maybe doubled since he bought it doesn't mean the team has boatloads of cash around to justify a $200 Million payroll. The money Mark A has made to this point is entirely intangible; he probably doesn't make much of anything until he decides to sell the team. Yes it will be a lot if/when that happens but its anyone's guess how profitable the actual day to day operations are.

Just because the value of the franchise has maybe doubled since he bought it doesn't mean the team has boatloads of cash around to justify a $200 Million payroll. The money Mark A has made to this point is entirely intangible; he probably doesn't make much of anything until he decides to sell the team. Yes it will be a lot if/when that happens but its anyone's guess how profitable the actual day to day operations are.

That's partially true. I fully believe the Brewers have made money every single year, even 2014 with their $110 million payroll. Then factor in the $70ish million payrolls the last 2 years while revenue streams have increased substantially, and they surely made boatloads the last 2 years. Profitability isn't an issue. Cash flow could be an issue, but as has been noted...the value of the franchise has gone up immensely. If cash flow was an issue, they would have absolutely no problem borrowing if needed and still maintain reasonable ratios related to debt. I don't think anyone should anticipate a $200 million payroll even in our craziest spending year, but I suspect payroll could comfortably go higher than many of you think.

Quadrupled. The value has quadrupled. Bought for $250 million, now estimated at 1 Billion.

I don't wanna hear any "cry me a river" for poor Mark. He either needs to open up the pocket books or sell the team, otherwise he is just another fake owner more concerned about $$$ than World Series rings

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quadrupled. The value has quadrupled. Bought for $250 million, now estimated at 1 Billion.

I don't wanna hear any "cry me a river" for poor Mark. He either needs to open up the pocket books or sell the team, otherwise he is just another fake owner more concerned about $$$ than World Series rings

Do you understand how a business works...on a year to year basis? He has opened up his pocket book and is willing to do so even more. Attanasio has never acted cheap, why do you seem so bothered?

TPlush, are you kidding? The artificial limits the Brewers put on payroll are maddening. I want to see the Brewers win a World Series, I don't care if Mark's hobby is profitable for him.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

TPlush, are you kidding? The artificial limits the Brewers put on payroll are maddening. I want to see the Brewers win a World Series, I don't care if Mark's hobby is profitable for him.

I don't think there's an artificial limit on payroll, not sure where you're getting that from. In 2014, the Brewer probably barely squeezed out a profit...possibly lost a small amount of money after factoring in below the line costs. 2015-17 saw payrolls go down as we rebuilt, but we also saw significant investments into the stadium, upgraded spring training facilities, and a purchase of a minor league affiliate. Mark/Stearns have also said that money saved on payroll in these rebuilding years will be put toward the club in contending years. As plush noted, nothing Attanasio has said or done has given the impression that he's all about profit and doesn't want to win a world series while also improving the fan experience. Attanasio is a very good owner, and the future is bright.

Then buy the team and try to do that. Until then welcome to how every other owner runs their team.

So on Twitter, Brewerworld (who broke the Cain signing story) is saying no big free agent SP signing...

I feel as though we need to have a sticked post to note this:

BrewerWorld is a parody account. Not serious. Don't take the account seriously.

Still don’t get how they are a parody account.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Mark has ran this small market team brilliantly so far. I think it is more maddening when fans think it is even realistic to spend what it cost to "buy" a world series. Teams pay 250 million and miss playoffs....only 1 wins the championship a year. The guy only became a billionaire by being an elite financial manager and investor..... Clearly you understand money, business, and investing (which player acquisitions are) more than him though.... He knows what it coming in from TV deals, sponsorship, rev sharing and so on. He knows what the limits are before are put in a dangerous spot. He has said he is willing to spend if DS finds the guys who have the value. I rather have a competitive team that is financial stable over the long term over a team who buys long term bad contracts and cripples future. Win World Series or not, it is exciting to see them contending. Winning has nothing to do with money. Has to do with catching lightning in a bottle at right time.

We can buy a TOR pitcher or trade for a cheaper on who is controllable. Even do both. It doesn't matter to me but I don't see Marktelling DS you can't sign Yu or Arretta. He has spend he has the room to go out and get one still

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

The value of the club has quadrupled since he bought the club. Bought it for $220 million. It's now worth almost $1 billion. No way he could justify a $200 million payroll. I think $130 or $140 million could be done if he wanted.

Archived