Brewer Fanatic

Darvish

Is this guy going to end up with a Greinke type contract ? Spending money is hard enough. Dead money or dead man walking for this team would be a death blow

Braun is off the books in 3 years isn’t he?

Yeah - what's your point ?

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it possible that the "he prefers to play in LA", or "the cubs and rangers are in", are decoys to get the brewers offer up?? Maybe we are the top dog in this race for a change??

Either of the Rangers/Dodgers rumors could be some type of ploy. I think the Cubs are legitimately one of the top contenders for him.

Yu Darvish utter max would likely be 5/150mil.

I agree that is the max (unless he gets a sixth year), but I think it will be closer to a $27 or $28 million AAV, so 5 years and $135-$140 million range. I do think a player opt out clause after the second year could appeal to him as well.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The more I think about it, the more Darvish just doesn't make sense for us. I suspect others (like me) have been swept up in the excitement of adding Yelich and Cain and trying to win as soon as 2018, and as a result are ignoring what a burden a $30M player would be for our payroll going forward. Even if stays health and doesn't decline much it's a burden. Over his five-year MLB career so far, Darvish has been worth 19.0 fWAR, which is $133M at $7M/WAR. So we would be overpaying him even if he miraculously mirrored his age 26-30 seasons from 31-35. Greinke is probably a better pitcher and god would I not want to be stuck with that contract Arizona has right now (and Greinke hasn't even been bad yet).

No thanks. Chris Archer is the smart move for us even if it costs some prospects. We just can't absorb bad contracts like the Cubs can, it's a permanent advantage for them. If we want top pitching then we've got to deal from prospect depth.

The more I think about it, the more Darvish just doesn't make sense for us. I suspect others (like me) have been swept up in the excitement of adding Yelich and Cain and trying to win as soon as 2018, and as a result are ignoring what a burden a $30M player would be for our payroll going forward. Even if stays health and doesn't decline much it's a burden. Over his five-year MLB career so far, Darvish has been worth 19.0 fWAR, which is $133M at $7M/WAR. So we would be overpaying him even if he miraculously mirrored his age 26-30 seasons from 31-35. Greinke is probably a better pitcher and god would I not want to be stuck with that contract Arizona has right now (and Greinke hasn't even been bad yet).

No thanks. Chris Archer is the smart move for us even if it costs some prospects. We just can't absorb bad contracts like the Cubs can, it's a permanent advantage for them. If we want top pitching then we've got to deal from prospect depth.

I respectfully disagree. Darvish is not a Suppan/Lohan/Garza type of signing. He is a legit TOR signing. We have an asset in Santana to be able to obtain a legit #2/TOR starter in Salazar. We already took a hit with our prospects in the Yelich trade. We, of all teams can not afford to overuse our assets/prospects. We have the money...especially with the $50 million from tv contact to be able to afford a bull-landing TOR signing in Darvish.

Spend the money. Save the prospects. We have a crazy amount of youth on this squad to be able to contend for several years. The time to spend on someone like this is now.

My source says the Brewer's and Cubs are trying to play keep away with each other in regards to Darvish. The Cubs biggest fear is the Brewer's getting Darvish. Both team's don't feel the Dodger's have the $ to get Darvish back.

Brewers expecting Darvish to sign by Monday.

The Brewer's also want Archer as well as Darvish.

Stroman was discussed today.

My source says the Brewer's and Cubs are trying to play keep away with each other in regards to Darvish. The Cubs biggest fear is the Brewer's getting Darvish. Both team's don't feel the Dodger's have the $ to get Darvish back.

Darvish + Archer ... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what it would take to get Stroman. I'd imagine it'd be a king's ransom.

That would be insane; however, I am not fully sure on Darvish. I can see the reward, but to me the risks out weigh the rewards. Would love to see Archer in a Brewers uniform though.

I wonder what it would take to get Stroman. I'd imagine it'd be a king's ransom.

I imagine if we get Darvish, we would also trade Santana + one of Woodruff/Burnes + other pieces for Archer or Stroman. Yeah that probably puts us ahead of the cubs on paper

My money is on the Cubs increasing their offer in the 11th hour here to land Darvish, they are unfortunately in a better position to win a bidding war and they'll certainly throw around a few million more before they risk losing Darvish to a division rival.

But I think we'll respond with a trade for a starter be that Archer or whoever else.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Im not holding my breath on Darvish...that would be an insane contract if we are in a bidding war with the Cubs and I just don't see the Brewers going overpay like that. But to hear that they are looking at getting Darvish AND Archer?? Love the idea of that at least.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

As in signs with Brewers by Monday or just signs with a team in general by Monday

As in signs with Brewers by Monday or just signs with a team in general by Monday

A team in General.

Im not holding my breath on Darvish...that would be an insane contract if we are in a bidding war with the Cubs and I just don't see the Brewers going overpay like that. But to hear that they are looking at getting Darvish AND Archer?? Love the idea of that at least.

1) Darvish

2) Archer

3) Anderson

4) Davies

5) Chacin

And in June you can slot in Nelson at #3.

Would look like 2011 again only with a much bigger window.

I don't know what it would take to get Archer. I imagine we'd have to be dangling Santana and Woodruff both just to get the conversation started, and I don't even know how much they like Santana.

IF the Brewers were to sign Darvish and still want Archer, I would have to think Santana and Davies would headline the package.

Cubs are going to win this. # pawn. It’s OK we made them pay.

I totally agree with this. I don't think there's any chance we get Darvish. It's fun to dream, but the reality is they have a bigger payroll to work with and Epstein has proven to be very decisive in players he targets.

Archived