Brewer Fanatic

Darvish

I will be pretty surprised at this point if Darvish signs with anyone but the Cubs. It seems possible the delay has been (at least in part) some posturing to try to increase the Cubs offer. I would guess other teams have made competitive offers (including possibly the Brewers), but it isn’t hard to imagine him having a strong preference to play for the Cubs over the other potential suitors outside of LA or New York.

I 100% and completely agree, but I'm holding on to a sliver of hope that we still have a chance.

;) ;)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it possible that the potential Santana deal was put on hold because they are waiting on a decision from Darvish? Perhaps the Santana deal includes dealing Woodruff and they don’t want to do that unless they have a FA pitcher in the fold first.

We have it on good authority that Darvish is not coming to Milwaukee and will sign with the Cubs. Or so I've been told.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Is it possible that the potential Santana deal was put on hold because they are waiting on a decision from Darvish? Perhaps the Santana deal includes dealing Woodruff and they don’t want to do that unless they have a FA pitcher in the fold first.

We have it on good authority that Darvish is not coming to Milwaukee and will sign with the Cubs. Or so I've been told.

Point Beer, I think that makes a lot of sense if we think we're still in the running. Or it could be simply waiting on any FA offers we have out there and any of those could be held up waiting to see what happens with Darvish as well.

No matter what info we've heard to this point, things change. If Yu wasn't sure about the Brewers being competitive or not, they certainly put their money where there mouth was last week after we were told he was going to the Cubs. And there's still been no word indicating he's for sure going to the Cubs. Perhaps we made him think a little harder on it at least.

I think regardless, I'm more worried about him going to the Cubs than I am about him not going to the Brewers. I'm not holding my breath, Yu would be an amazing add to our rotation, but I trust DS is going to improve the rotation whether we get him or not. I just don't want the Cubbies also making an equal or even better addition to their rotation at the same time. *grinds teeth*

I guess if he does go to the Cubs, Stearns could always get in touch with one of his Astro buddies and ask him what he was doing that was tipping his pitches. Problem solved.

On a more serious note, Darvish has not made up his mind or he would have signed. You just never know about these things, especially since our two recent acquisitions. That can't hurt the odds, can it?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Signing a position player, even a Center Fielder for 5 years, is one type of risk. Signing a pitcher for five years at $125M is a whole different risk level. I am guessing, no insider information here, that the Brewers made a 3 year 90M offer. The interesting part is the $30M per year. Darvish likely has decided that he wants the security of more years. It is also possible that the Brewers put in an offer with a deadline of prior to the signing of Cain. And it was presented as sign now or forget about it Mr. Darvish. As far as signing Darvish the idea was if they sign Cain they wouldn't be Able. :laughing

They may not be directly waiting on Darvish, either. It could be their actual target (Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb) is waiting for Darvish to sign first to establish the market. And the Brewers are waiting in the balance since they can't deal Woodruff (or Davies) until they have the FA starter plugged in first. Just speculation at this point, but it makes sense as to why the rest of the predicted "flurry" of activity hasn't happened yet.

Gruber Lawffices

They may not be directly waiting on Darvish, either. It could be their actual target (Arrieta, Lynn, Cobb) is waiting for Darvish to sign first to establish the market. And the Brewers are waiting in the balance since they can't deal Woodruff (or Davies) until they have the FA starter plugged in first. Just speculation at this point, but it makes sense as to why the rest of the predicted "flurry" of activity hasn't happened yet.

Or, there never was a "flurry" of activity. Having said that, you could be right. Time will tell.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

The Darvish drama continues, just within the past hour there have been two conflicting reports...

Andy McCullough of the LA Times reports that Darvish is waiting for the Dodgers to shed money:

Link: My understanding is that Yu Darvish has made clear he would like to return to the Dodgers, and part of the delay in his free agency is related to waiting to see if the team can move some of the money. The Dodgers have explored scenarios for moving useful but (theoretically) extraneous assets such as Yasmani Grandal, Logan Forsythe and Hyun-Jin Ryu. Given the fact that those players are still Dodgers and Darvish is still a free agent, you can guess how the market has reacted to this gambit by the front office.

T.R. Sullivan (Rangers beat reporter) of MLB.com saying all signs are pointing to Darvish wanting to return to Texas:

Link: It seems obvious -- reading all the signs -- that Darvish wants to return to the Rangers. The problem is the Rangers keep saying that it is "unlikely" that they'll be active at the top of the free-agent pitching market. Certainly the term "unlikely" leaves wiggle room, and the tedious dance continues with Rangers fans left tantalized by the wait.

Despite all other factors being tossed about, Darvish could be the one keeping the free-agent market from moving. He is the top starting pitcher on the market, and those guys usually sign in November. If Darvish were to sign, it could break the inertia. But he may be waiting to see if the Rangers blink first.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

The Darvish drama continues, just within the past hour there have been two conflicting reports...

Andy McCullough of the LA Times reports that Darvish is waiting for the Dodgers to shed money:

Link: My understanding is that Yu Darvish has made clear he would like to return to the Dodgers, and part of the delay in his free agency is related to waiting to see if the team can move some of the money. The Dodgers have explored scenarios for moving useful but (theoretically) extraneous assets such as Yasmani Grandal, Logan Forsythe and Hyun-Jin Ryu. Given the fact that those players are still Dodgers and Darvish is still a free agent, you can guess how the market has reacted to this gambit by the front office.

T.R. Sullivan (Rangers beat reporter) of MLB.com saying all signs are pointing to Darvish wanting to return to Texas:

Link: It seems obvious -- reading all the signs -- that Darvish wants to return to the Rangers. The problem is the Rangers keep saying that it is "unlikely" that they'll be active at the top of the free-agent pitching market. Certainly the term "unlikely" leaves wiggle room, and the tedious dance continues with Rangers fans left tantalized by the wait.

Despite all other factors being tossed about, Darvish could be the one keeping the free-agent market from moving. He is the top starting pitcher on the market, and those guys usually sign in November. If Darvish were to sign, it could break the inertia. But he may be waiting to see if the Rangers blink first.

I feel like he's enjoying the long dance. All his retweeting and commentary to stir the pot. But him stalling doesn't explain the position player market. When are Hosmer, Martinez, Holland, Walker, etc going to sign? I feel like by this weekend we're going to see at least a small flurry of activity, but next week could be hectic and fun. Pitchers and catchers report in just over 2 weeks.

It sounds like he is trying to increase the bidders as he thinks he can get more money.

Eh, Darvish might be too annoying. [sarcasm]Let's just ride Yo back to the post season.[/sarcasm]
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
That would be so delightful if he spurned the Cubs.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He must be using the Cubs for leverage... no way he actually wants to be there!!

Per Heyman, we’re still in the mix.

Aka. The dodgers can’t afford him and he wants the cubs to offer more.

*Your negative thought for the day.*

https://www.fanragsports.com/brewers-strongly-in-mix-for-yu-darvish/

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

Per Heyman, we’re still in the mix.

Aka. The dodgers can’t afford him and he wants the cubs to offer more.

*Your negative thought for the day.*

https://www.fanragsports.com/brewers-strongly-in-mix-for-yu-darvish/

He may ultimately sign with the Dodgers or Cubs...however I don't share in your pessimism. As hard as this may be to comprehend, Milwaukee could be a destination for FAs.

This off season is obviously different, but MKE has been played like this too much in the past for me not to think that way.

Look what happened a couple weeks ago.

Step 1 - Brewers offer a deal to Yu.

Step 2 - the stove heats up and besides a deal being offered, there’s little indication he’d prefer here compared to LA or Chi. There are rumblings he’d prefer those two. I haven’t seen anything nagative regarding MKE, but also, nothing positive.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the signing if we can make it happen, mainly because what has transpired over the last week.

"There's more people to ignore in New York or in Boston than there are in Milwaukee, but I would still ignore them, probably."

-Zack Greinke

“We'll see whether this goes beyond talking. Sometimes stuff like this gets out there to push a player's preferred teams along.“

McCalvy on Twitter.

I second T Plush’s sentiment. Do the unthinkable, Stearns!

-Zack Greinke

A little uptick in online traffic from MLB insiders about the brewers and Darvish. Are we about to be given some very interesting news ??

link?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived