Brewer Fanatic

Darvish

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yu Darvish weighs in with this Tweet.

The headline says the Brewers are interested in Darvish.

That Yahoo Article (via translation) talks about the Brewers meeting with Darvish and confirms they offered a contract. It speculates it to be a 5 or 6 year contract.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Yu Darvish weighs in with this Tweet.

The headline says the Brewers are interested in Darvish.

That Yahoo Article (via translation) talks about the Brewers meeting with Darvish and confirms they offered a contract. It speculates it to be a 5 or 6 year contract.

To a 31 year old pitcher????

Here is the paragraph that seemed most relevant via translation. Not sure if this means they meet with him in-person, but it says they made an offer:

It took a month off to the camping in of each major team and the movement around Darvish became hurried. Several major league officials acknowledged that Brewers made an offer to Darvish side to interview Sponzi. Details of the amount etc are unknown, but if you compiled the story of the stakeholders, it seems to be a long-term contract of 5 or 6 years.

I don't believe for a second that the Brewers would give that long a contract to guy who is 31.

Is there draft pick ramifications to signing him?

No he was traded mid year. I could see 4 yrs then some vesting options.

Does anyone know what the emoji Darvish tweeted out means?

He does that to a lot of articles posted about him. I thought that emoji was more often used when it was something maybe not so accurate, but I can’t remember.

He has included that emoji in a few other tweets. In the case of his famous Yankees Tweet he used that emoji, but also specifically said they didn’t give him an offer. I guess it could mean it’s not true or it could mean something along the lines of an interesting twist since he had previously confirmed one unnamed team had offered him a contract.

From Ken Rosenthal...

Source confirms: #Brewers have made offer to Darvish. First reported: Yahoo Japan.

If Rosenthal is confirming the offer, it does make Darvish's emoji slightly more intriguing (i.e. it removes the possibility that he was saying the story was bunk)

This doesn't necessarily mean other teams haven't made Darvish an offer. It's just that "knowledge" of the Brewers' one has become public.

That said, I'm intrigued. And Darvish's posting of it and the hand-chin-raised-eyebrow emoji may be indicative of something relevant to Brewers Nation....

This doesn't necessarily mean other teams haven't made Darvish an offer. It's just that "knowledge" of the Brewers' one has become public.

That said, I'm intrigued. And Darvish's posting of it and the hand-chin-raised-eyebrow emoji may be indicative of something relevant to Brewers Nation....

It could mean that he's at least considering it, although I doubt the Brewers are in the lead.

It could mean that he's at least considering it, although I doubt the Brewers are in the lead.

I feel like this wouldn't be so widely reported if our offer wasn't a serious contender.

By signing Darvish, does it take us out of the running financially for the crop of FA pitchers next year?

Who's in that crop?

Dallas Keuchel, possibly Clayton Kershaw, Gio Gonzalez, Drew Pomeranz, Patrick Corbin. Probably forgetting a couple.

Also, top relievers available are Andrew Miller and Craig Kimbrel.

By signing Darvish, does it take us out of the running financially for the crop of FA pitchers next year?

Who's in that crop?

Dallas Keuchel, possibly Clayton Kershaw, Gio Gonzalez, Drew Pomeranz, Patrick Corbin. Probably forgetting a couple.

We have saved a LOT of money the last few years with really only having Braun and Garza as big contracts. I don’t think one free agent signing is going to limit future free agent signings all that much going forward

Jon Heyman adding his take via this Tweet...

Brewers are a new team in on darvish. they've dabbled in cobb, lynn and arrieta, too. yu has a few other teams as well: minn, cubs, yanks, rangers. yahoo japan and @Ken_Rosenthal both mentioned the crew.

Archived