Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

53 pages, so time for a Stearns refresher. There have been reasonable rumors, even insider rumors, and plenty of wild opinions and guesses. Bottom line, Stearns is not going to get taken on a deal just to make the season interesting to us.

All this plan a, plan b stuff is being taken way too far. The Brewers have plenty of assets to trade, plenty of money to spend, and plenty of needs. So yes, they are looking at all kinds of deals. Of course plans change as players move to other teams, the Brewers make their first deal etc. You can't anticipate what happens, or when, so you stay flexible.

All that to say I don't doubt HH, but if you read what he actually said, nothing was much more specific than that.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Little interest in Cain from me. A speed-heavy skill set for a guy entering his mid-30s?

He turns 32 in April and even at the end of a 4 year deal, he'll be younger than Mike Cameron was the day he put a Brewer uniform on the first time. Cain is a professional hitter and plus defender who can run. ,300 hitters who strike out under 100 times per year don't grow on trees.

Yeah but Mike Cameron should be in the Hall of Fame. I don't see Cain as a wise investment and I wonder whether as many people on here would want him if he wasn't a former Brewer.

Hopefully we jump in with a 5-year deal just to really get these boards on fire! Can’t imagine what the traffic has been over the past 48 hours.

I haven't looked at overall traffic, but we've averaged 13 new applications a day every day this week, and for a change there's no blatant spam among them.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

What about Santana to Boston? They haven't signed JD Martinez yet. Could this be one of the dominoes after a trade for Yelich?

Santana is a spectacular fit in that lineup and in that park. Not sure there's a match trade-wise, though. Most of the Red Sox best prospects are lower level guys. I guess that helps stack the system, but doesn't provide immediate dividends.

What about Santana to Boston? They haven't signed JD Martinez yet. Could this be one of the dominoes after a trade for Yelich?

Santana is a spectacular fit in that lineup and in that park. Not sure there's a match trade-wise, though. Most of the Red Sox best prospects are lower level guys. I guess that helps stack the system, but doesn't provide immediate dividends.

Well if we are adding pieces to this immediate team in the Yelich trade, Santana's trade is replenishing some of that loss. Part C then would be signing a FA SP rather than using Santana to get a guy like Salazar or whomever. Kinda interesting to think then that if Boston is one of Martinez' best places to sign and it hasn't happened maybe on the waiting on Santana trade?

Well if we are adding pieces to this immediate team in the Yelich trade, Santana's trade is replenishing some of that loss. Part C then would be signing a FA SP rather than using Santana to get a guy like Salazar or whomever. Kinda interesting to think then that if Boston is one of Martinez' best places to sign and it hasn't happened maybe on the waiting on Santana trade?

That's what I thought this morning. Most of their starting rotation is coming up for free agency these next 2 years. Santanas affordability may allow them to resign a couple of them. They also get an athletic DH who can also play some OF. I don't know their minor league guys very well, so im not sure they match up there.

Little interest in Cain from me. A speed-heavy skill set for a guy entering his mid-30s?

He turns 32 in April and even at the end of a 4 year deal, he'll be younger than Mike Cameron was the day he put a Brewer uniform on the first time. Cain is a professional hitter and plus defender who can run. ,300 hitters who strike out under 100 times per year don't grow on trees.

Yeah but Mike Cameron should be in the Hall of Fame. I don't see Cain as a wise investment and I wonder whether as many people on here would want him if he wasn't a former Brewer.

Mike Cameron a HOFer? He's not close. He had a nice career, but by no measure is he a HOFer. He finished in the top 25 in MVP voting twice, never higher than 16th. Cain's a career .290 hitter to Cameron's .249. He was 3rd in MVP voting in 2015. For most of his career, he's batted 3rd in KC's lineup. 3rd is the spot generally reserved for the best hitter in a lineup. Cain has a career WAR of 27.8 in 2,793 AB's. Cameron had a career WAR of 46.5 in well over twice the number of AB's than Cain: 6,849.

It wouldn't help the team now, but I would do a Groome, Darwinzon Hernandez, and Raudes for Santana.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Tread getting Hijacked or at least going off base.

But I hope the starters mentioned above have the same type of record this season. Like many Nelson is the wild card cause you don't know what your going to get with him.

Well, Groome is 19, Raudes is 20 and Hernandez is 21, so no, they wouldn't be helping any time soon.

And you've made your worry about the rotation PERFECTLY clear over and over. Remember, there are still several solid free agent starters out there, and Chacin also can replace a lot of Nelson's lost value.

Is this some inside joke I'm not aware of?

No inside information or anything but I have the feeling that today will be the day of activity. Enough time to get the new Brewers to On Deck event.

I doubt it. There are national guys that have sources on this. There would be rumblings if something were imminent.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Ive come somewhat full circle on my thoughts of this significant trade. Stay the course. Keep Brinson and Phillips and run them out there in CF this year. Keep Santana. Sign a starting pitcher and a 2b. I like Yelich, but I just dont think clearing out the farm is the best move right now. THe only ones ready to come up are Brinson, Phillips and maybe Dubon.

All we need to do is follow the following on twitter: These guys are scheduled to be at the On Deck Event. If something changes, more than likely they got traded.

Jesus Aguilar

Orlando Arcia

Lewis Brinson

Keon Broxton

Corbin Burnes

Zach Davies

Monte Harrison

Brett Phillips

Manny Pina

Domingo Santana

Brandon Woodruff

Ive come somewhat full circle on my thoughts of this significant trade. Stay the course. Keep Brinson and Phillips and run them out there in CF this year. Keep Santana. Sign a starting pitcher and a 2b. I like Yelich, but I just dont think clearing out the farm is the best move right now. THe only ones ready to come up are Brinson, Phillips and maybe Dubon.

I agree. Trades are always exciting but the combination of things that is being suggested seem somewhat unlikely.

Yelich is great, so I also wouldn't mind if they traded for him, but it's possible Brinson takes off in his first full year and provides as much value. Does anybody have a scouting report Brinson's defense. I've heard it's good but what level of good are we talking? Enough for it to carry enough value by itself if he struggles on offense?

I'm not going to fault the decision makers if they try to pull of some combination of moves to win now and in the short term future, but personally I'd run Santana in RF again and give Brinson the CF job and let him run with it. Trade one of Broxton of Phillips.

Topic being discussed on MLB Network Radio about whether Archer is being dealt. Got me thinking about the scenarios surrounding the Brewers...

Is it possible the Brewers are waiting on Darvish's decision before deciding which way they go? If Darvish chooses Milwaukee, they pull the trigger on a deal for Yelich. If Darvish chooses somewhere else, they pull the trigger on a deal for Archer and then sign Cain. Who would you rather have all things being equal Darvish and Yelich or Archer and Cain? For me, it's Darvish and Yelich all day.

Topic being discussed on MLB Network Radio about whether Archer is being dealt. Got me thinking about the scenarios surrounding the Brewers...

Is it possible the Brewers are waiting on Darvish's decision before deciding which way they go? If Darvish chooses Milwaukee, they pull the trigger on a deal for Yelich. If Darvish chooses somewhere else, they pull the trigger on a deal for Archer and then sign Cain. Who would you rather have all things being equal Darvish and Yelich or Archer and Cain? For me, it's Darvish and Yelich all day.

Depends on the $$$

There's other options though. What if it's Lynn/Yelich? Or Cobb/Yelich? Or Arreitta/Yelich?

Personally, I think Yelich will be quite a bit better than Cain over the next 4 seasons. I'd much rather have him and any of those pitchers I think.

There's other options though. What if it's Lynn/Yelich? Or Cobb/Yelich? Or Arreitta/Yelich?

Personally, I think Yelich will be quite a bit better than Cain over the next 4 seasons. I'd much rather have him and any of those pitchers I think.

You are correct. I meant to add Arrieta and Yelich as well. Regardless, I think the Brewers are adding an OF and an SP, one via trade and one via FA.

HighHeat said Darvish isnt coming to Milwaukee... And Archer has been told he'll be a Ray in 2018.

You are correct. I meant to add Arrieta and Yelich as well. Regardless, I think the Brewers are adding an OF and an SP, one via trade and one via FA.

I really hope so... I want Yelich/Arrieta or Lynn.

HighHeat said Darvish isnt coming to Milwaukee... And Archer has been he'll be a Ray in 2018.

Not saying HH19 is wrong at all but that was 2-3 days ago and there has been no announcement. I can't imagine Rosenthal or anyone hasn't been able to scoop it if some front office knew 2-3 days ago.

Archived