Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know what you meant, but what you said was literally:

Lindor was like that but so far in the majors he's been much more Escobar than any of the top shortstops that you would actually consider cornerstones.

In that sentence, "he" would have to refer to Lindor.

They didn't not do a very good job teaching me the grammer lerning in public school.

Juiced ball? Are you serious? No, you can't be serious. You are messing with us now.

So you're of the opinion that the ball wasn't juiced this year despite several articles being written on it? Or if it's not juiced, the feel is different, which obviously impacts pitchers.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/baseballs-are-more-consistently-juiced-than-ever/

https://sports.yahoo.com/world-series-players-concerns-slick-juiced-baseballs-continue-prior-game-5-012645244.html

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/10/30/16570142/world-series-mlb-baseballs-juiced-slick-homers

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/14/16044264/2017-mlb-home-run-spike-juiced-ball-testing-reveal-155cd21108bc

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/06/29/mlb-juiced-ball-home-runs/440203001/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/open-letter-mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-juiced-balls/

That's literally the first page of a google search.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the idea that these athletes are bigger, stronger and more highly conditioned than they were even 10 years ago.

Juiced ball? Are you serious? No, you can't be serious. You are messing with us now.

So you're of the opinion that the ball wasn't juiced this year despite several articles being written on it? Or if it's not juiced, the feel is different, which obviously impacts pitchers.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/baseballs-are-more-consistently-juiced-than-ever/

https://sports.yahoo.com/world-series-players-concerns-slick-juiced-baseballs-continue-prior-game-5-012645244.html

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/10/30/16570142/world-series-mlb-baseballs-juiced-slick-homers

https://www.theringer.com/2017/6/14/16044264/2017-mlb-home-run-spike-juiced-ball-testing-reveal-155cd21108bc

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/06/29/mlb-juiced-ball-home-runs/440203001/

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/open-letter-mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-juiced-balls/

That's literally the first page of a google search.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the idea that these athletes are bigger, stronger and more highly conditioned than they were even 10 years ago.

Uhhh, yeah, I think when basically every monthly HR record was getting shattered every subsequent month over the past ~2 years should tell us something.

In one year? They just suddenly got bigger, stronger and better conditioned in one year? And what does that have to do with the ball feeling different in a pitcher's hand?

Uhhh, yeah, I think when basically every monthly HR record was getting shattered every subsequent month over the past ~2 years should tell us something.

Chicks dig the long ball?

If he's comparing him to Escobar, and the ball is juiced, why didn't Alcides have a jump in his homers and slugging as well? Oh, because it doesn't fit his agenda.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If he's comparing him to Escobar, and the ball is juiced, why didn't Alcides have a jump in his homers and slugging as well? Oh, because it doesn't fit his agenda.

Because Escobar sucks and swings at everything and is coming out of his prime (if he ever had a prime to begin with)? I mean, Yelich was quite a bit worse offensively this year than last year and you guys all love him. Just because offense as a whole was way up, likely because of the ball doesn't mean that all hitters were better.

Because Alcides is washed up.

I'm not sure if you're joking here but homers just went from 20 year lows in 2013/2014 (basically 2010-2015 was a lull once steroids were curtailed) to the 4th (2016) and 1st (2017) highest HR/game averages in MLB history basically overnight.

If Arcia was a stock, I'm buying. Nothing is guaranteed, but I would put my money on continued improvement. You can't shrug off his age like it's nothing. At 21/22 to play MLB SS at a high level defenseivley and hit .730 to me is a good start. Some of you believe that's his ceiling, and that's fine, it could be. But I'm betting closer to .780. His ceiling is even higher than that, but I'm a fan of cautious optimism.

Because Alcides is washed up.

I'm not sure if you're joking here but homers just went from 20 year lows in 2013/2014 (basically 2010-2015 was a lull once steroids were curtailed) to the 4th (2016) and 1st (2017) highest HR/game averages in MLB history basically overnight.

Washed up? Escobar had basically the same season he has always had throughout his entire career. He just is who he is. Meanwhile, I'm making a point to the 100 game loser that Escobar and Arcia don't really belong in the same sentence other than they at one time were both shortstops for the Milwaukee Brewers. Arcia's ceiling is so much higher and it showed last season.

Onto the juiced ball theory, there is that but there's also been a big shift in the approach at the plate. Guys have trained to elevate the ball and swing out of their shoes. When you do that, more dingers will happen. It's not the entire reason, but it is a big reason for it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If Arcia was a stock, I'm buying. Nothing is guaranteed, but I would put my money on continued improvement. You can't shrug off his age like it's nothing. At 21/22 to play MLB SS at a high level defenseivley and hit .730 to me is a good start. Some of you believe that's his ceiling, and that's fine, it could be. But I'm betting closer to .780. His ceiling is even higher than that, but I'm a fan of cautious optimism.

Sure maybe the Escobar comparison is a bit much. But I think the phrasing was 'closer to Escobar than to the Seager/Correa types' or something like that. I'd generally agree with that phrasing.

I agree with you that there is more improvement likely from Arcia as he beefs up a bit and just learns to hit better. However, I think the greater point is that he's unlikely to ever be a middle of the order top hitter on your team type guy. There really isn't someone behind him ready to go so a trade would still make no sense right now, but the logic that he's not a superstar type that's untradeable isn't off either. And of course D at SS is huge. There's a middle ground here among you guys arguing that I think you'd all agree on if dug out of your stances a bit.

Arcia is an odd one to me.

Range is insane and duffs the easier stuff.... maturity?

Had a segment where he locked in a slappy 2 strike approach where his average spiked well over 300.

I know its sacreligious in this metrics era but I wish he'd focus on being a slappy singles hitter. His speed and numbers closer to 300/360 (improved plate discipline...maturity) could make him a stud 9 hole hitter or leadoff table setter. The potential is there and I wish he went anti metrics and embraced it. I never see him being a star with the bat. He doesnt look 2 or 3 level. Hes rare enough range wise to be an all star caliber dude with an uninspiring slg. Problem now is the easy mistakes in the field and the obp sitting at mediocre.

I see his offense and wish for good prado. Hell even a bit less pop. 8-10 hr would do if he could 300/360. His defense I just want dependability.

Sure maybe the Escobar comparison is a bit much. But I think the phrasing was 'closer to Escobar than to the Seager/Correa types' or something like that. I'd generally agree with that phrasing.

This is exactly what I said. I never said Arcia is Escobar. I said he's much closer to Escobar (a basically replacement level SS) than he is to a cornerstone player (A Lindor, Correa, Seager, Machado if he played SS), like was mentioned that caused me to post what I did in the first place.

Do I think Arcia is as bad as Escobar? No. Do I think he'll be as good as Lindor, Correa, Seager etc.? No. Do I think he can improve? Yes. Do I think he's closer to Escobar than he is to franchise caliber shortstops? Yes.

I agree with you that there is more improvement likely from Arcia as he beefs up a bit and just learns to hit better. However, I think the greater point is that he's unlikely to ever be a middle of the order top hitter on your team type guy. There really isn't someone behind him ready to go so a trade would still make no sense right now, but the logic that he's not a superstar type that's untradeable isn't off either. And of course D at SS is huge. There's a middle ground here among you guys arguing that I think you'd all agree on if dug out of your stances a bit.

No doubt, and I would never consider Arcia untradeable. There is no such player in IMHO.

This is exactly what I said. I never said Arcia is Escobar. I said he's much closer to Escobar (a basically replacement level SS) than he is to a cornerstone player (A Lindor, Correa, Seager, Machado if he played SS), like was mentioned that caused me to post what I did in the first place.

Do I think Arcia is as bad as Escobar? No. Do I think he'll be as good as Lindor, Correa, Seager etc.? No. Do I think he can improve? Yes. Do I think he's closer to Escobar than he is to franchise caliber shortstops? Yes.

Andrelton Simmons is a better comp to Arcia than Escobar is. Elvis Andrus is also another player who is closer to Arcia than Escobar.

Andrelton Simmons is a better comp to Arcia than Escobar is. Elvis Andrus is also another player who is closer to Arcia than Escobar.

Agreed. Simmons is always the guy I thought Arcia could turn into. Just looking at their offense from last season and keeping in mind Arcia was 22 and Simmons was 27:

Arcia: .277/.324/.731 15 HR 53 RBI

Simmons: .278/.331/.752 14 HR 69 RBI

Not bad if Arcia can pick up that D a little.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wow, this discussion has side tracked

I agree. I would actually ask people to create separate threads in the major league forum if you want debate some of these other topics. I realize that there is some relevancy, but now there are conversations that are overwhelming the main topic.

Thanks.

Wow, this discussion has side tracked

I agree. I would actually ask people to create separate threads in the major league forum if you want debate some of these other topics. I realize that there is some relevancy, but now there are conversations that are overwhelming the main topic.

Thanks.

Sorry I brought it up about Arcia. I brought it up in the context of whether or not he might be included in a package deal with brinson or others to go to Miami. I saw some other articles in the fall that he might be available for the right price with Dubon and Diaz coming up. It mentioned someone like Sogard or Villar span the gap until one of them ready. The feeling was the others might have more offensive upside than Arcia

From John Heyman:

lorenzo cain has begun informing some teams they are out of consideration. unclear exactly how close he is to a final call, though, as he's believed to be weighing a variety of offers.

Wonder where the Brewers are in this... we know they’ve been connected

From John Heyman:

lorenzo cain has begun informing some teams they are out of consideration. unclear exactly how close he is to a final call, though, as he's believed to be weighing a variety of offers.

Wonder where the Brewers are in this... we know they’ve been connected

Might be dangerous to sign him, every team will know as soon as we sign him, we will be more than willing to deal one or more of our outfielders, same goes with Yelich.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived