Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

Including Chen with Yelich makes no sense as it will limit the prospect haul. For Yelich alone the Brewers probably will include Brinson, Burnes and Diaz. For Yelich and Chen the Brewers probably offer Brinson and Ray tops.

Chen stays in Miami unless they are able to move him for an Ellsbury or Matt Kemp contract.

But if Miami moves Chen, they can now buy any/everyone next year if they want with only minimum/near minimum contracts.

Miami doesn't want to buy everyone and anyone next year. They want to tank and maybe do some Villar/Chris Carter 2016-type Brewers projects. They'll have plenty of money to go and sign a few 1 year risks hoping to flip guys even with Chen on their roster.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brewer's biggest issue moving forward is their lack of true "superstars", which I would qualify as 4+ WAR guys. Based on Fangraphs WAR, we had 1 of those - Jimmy Nelson - and he'll be on the DL to open the season. To compare, the Astros had 5 last year (Altuve, Verlander, Springer, Gonzalez, Correa).

If the Brewers want to be legit contenders, and at 86 wins last year they aren't far off, they need to add some "superstars". Maybe Brinson, or Burnes, or Harrison, or Ortiz, etc, become 4+ WAR guys, but that is a complete crap-shoot.

Guys who are 4+ WAR players (not to mention in their primes and under control for years on friendly terms) - Chris Archer (4.6), Christian Yelich (4.5). Adding these players would be a huge boast to their chances at winning the NL.

At some point fans have to move beyond the world of prospects and farm-system rankings and realize this team isn't rebuilding anymore. The Crew isn't going to be drafting in the top 3-5 anytime soon to acquire the Kris Bryant/Bryce Harper/etc of the world, they're competing and our strong farm system depth needs to be used to acquire legit MLB talent. Even if they surrender Brinson, Phillips, Burnes, Ortiz, Diaz, Harrison to add Archer and Yelich they still have Huira, Peralta, Lutz, Grisham, Ray, Ponce, etc, etc, left.

With their payroll flexibility, current roster, and deep farm system, they are in a perfect position to use some of their prospects to make a run at "superstar" talent for the next few years without killing their future outlook.

I agree with the thought of not "selling the farm" while acquiring Yelich but I have to believe that a Santana trade will be for prospects that will help fill in what they give up. I don't see getting MLB pitching back for Santana, the team getting him would probably be trying to win short term and they likely wouldn't give up a good, controlled pitcher, especially for Santana. I see us signing a FA pitcher or trading other prospects for pitching. So let's say we go the FA pitcher route, you have to look at the two trades as a whole rather than a package.

Out

Santana

Brinson

Burnes/Ortiz

Diaz

???

In

Yelich

Arrieta/Cobb/Lynn

A+ Pitcher

A Pitcher

A Infielder

We can take lower level pitchers back (higher upside) for Santana, since we wouldn't have the immediate need with Woodruff, Burnes/Ortiz, etc at higher levels and a pretty solid MLB staff.

HH is probably busy doing his regular day-to-day job....

http://images.amcnetworks.com/blogs.amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/William_Davis_560x330.jpg

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Guys who are 4+ WAR players (not to mention in their primes and under control for years on friendly terms) - Chris Archer (4.6), Christian Yelich (4.5). Adding these players would be a huge boast to their chances at winning the NL.

Assume 86 wins was the real talent level of the team last year and going forward. I don't think it is but let's assume that it is. We add Archer, who basically replaces Nelson because we don't know when he'll be pitching again and how effective he'll be when he does. So we're exactly where we are right now. Now let's say we add Yelich who is a 3-4 win upgrade on Broxton. Now we're at 89-90 wins. We lost Swarzak last year, which dings us by say half a win. We're now at 88.5-89.5 wins.

That is going to get us what? Maybe to a one game playoff that might be at home and might be on the road. Is that really worth giving up 6-8 good prospects?

At some point fans have to move beyond the world of prospects and farm-system rankings and realize this team isn't rebuilding anymore. The Crew isn't going to be drafting in the top 3-5 anytime soon to acquire the Kris Bryant/Bryce Harper/etc of the world, they're competing and our strong farm system depth needs to be used to acquire legit MLB talent. Even if they surrender Brinson, Phillips, Burnes, Ortiz, Diaz, Harrison to add Archer and Yelich they still have Huira, Peralta, Lutz, Grisham, Ray, Ponce, etc, etc, left.

And then we're going to want to upgrade in the middle of the season and we'll use even more prospect depth and then pretty soon we're out and back where we were in 2014.

trwl7 you make way to many conclusions about this. If we were to trade for Archer and Yelich, they could be used to rebuild farm if we didn't do well. We are nowhere near in the same position we were in 2014. We have so much roster flexibility and a much deeper farm. Even trading for Archer and Yelich, it doesn't have to end there.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

trwl7 you make way to many conclusions about this. If we were to trade for Archer and Yelich, they could be used to rebuild farm if we didn't do well. We are nowhere near in the same position we were in 2014. We have so much roster flexibility and a much deeper farm. Even trading for Archer and Yelich, it doesn't have to end there.

I said it could potentially turn into 2014 where we're fighting for a wildcard spot that gets us a one game playoff and we've already used a ton of prospect capital on Yelich and Archer and now to try to further solidify the roster you use even more prospect capital to find upgrades midseason and all of a sudden your prospects are gone and you're still fighting for a wildcard.

Not gonna lie I've been checking this thread every couple of hours and scrolling through kinda quickly to see if HighHeat has posted anything.

I enjoy discussing the potential deals with all of you fine folks but right now I kinda just want the scoop!

twi7 - Let say the offer is Yelich/Realmuto/Castro for Brinson/Ortiz/Diaz/Burnes/Villar/Pina

Do you say no?

Yes

I'd take it. Especially if we can grab one of the FA starters still too. That would be a huge boost to the active roster (and for several years) and the minors/prospects are still well stocked at all those positions (Phillips/Harrison/Lutz/Ray in OF, Hiura/Dubon at MI, Woodruff/Peralta/Diplan/Ponce/Pennington/Medeiros/Bickford at SP)

Not gonna lie I've been checking this thread every couple of hours and scrolling through kinda quickly to see if HighHeat has posted anything.

I enjoy discussing the potential deals with all of you fine folks but right now I kinda just want the scoop!

As a newbie over here I couldn't agree more. I've been scrolling for HH's posts. Unfortunate that we might have to continue to wait. Would seem like DS would want to put a deadline on his offer.

Trading for proven guys that are under contract for 4-5 years is not stopping the rebuilding.

I fully against signing the likes of Cain and trading assets for 1 year rentals, but if we can get a proven, youngish guy right now that under control. Whats to say if we aren't as good as we thought, we cant trade say Archer away for prospects.

That's something that gets overlooked. Trading big prospects for Yelich is, in all likelihood, a reversible move. If two years down the road things aren't working out the way you hoped, pretty easy to put Yelich back on the block and probably recoup all the value you gave up.

Yeah he won't have as much control at that time but if he continues his career trajectory and puts up a couple 5 WAR seasons, he'd only be 28 and even more proven and his contract would look even lighter than it does now. He'd be worth a haul like he is now.

To add to this, given your hypothetical scenario about trajectory, hes probably worth more now but the marlins arent going to get full value in a trade. Whoever gets him is going to get him at a discount as say Brinson, Burnes and a top 30 org prospect when hes really worth Brinson, Burnes, Hiura, Diaz, Gatewood in prospect value.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I would trade all of the Brewers bad players for another team's good players. That seems like a smart strategy.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Question...on Twitter, are @BrewerWorld and @BrewerFarm reliable sources like HH19 appears to be? They seem to be reporting the same things HH19 is.

My guess (at least for @BrewerFarm) is they're just reading HH19's posts. BrewerFarm had several tweets the other day specifically mentioning HH19's posts.

well stocked at all those positions (Phillips/Harrison/Lutz/Ray in OF, Hiura/Dubon at MI, Woodruff/Peralta/Diplan/Ponce/Pennington/Medeiros/Bickford at SP)

You and I have different definitions of well stocked. Phillips still has strike out problems and was barely above average in the majors offensively last year despite a .400+ BABIP, which isn't going to happen again. Lutz was in rookie ball last year. Ray hasn't hit since he was drafted.

I don't think Dubon is a very good prospect at all. Utility guy for me.

Medeiros and Bickford are relievers for me. Pennington is so far away that I'm not counting on him for anything in the next three years. Ponce is a fly ball pitcher whose strikeout rate has fallen every year and is probably a reliever. Diplan walked over 5 per 9 innings last year. Peralta may end up being a reliever.

Just naming a bunch of prospects doesn't really do anything. Like pretty much every team has guys like you just mentioned with the exception of Hiura, Harrison, Woodruff and Phillips.

twi7 - Let say the offer is Yelich/Realmuto/Castro for Brinson/Ortiz/Diaz/Burnes/Villar/Pina

Do you say no?

Yes

Let me rephrase this so it doesn't get deleted...

Why exactly do you say no to that offer?

Our two best prospects plus two other solid prospects for a grand total of 10 WAR and we're hoping that the rest of the team wasn't overachieving last year? I'll pass on that.

I don't know why this is so hard. I'm not willing to throw away our top prospects for a team I think had a ton of players do something they're never going to do again.

well stocked at all those positions (Phillips/Harrison/Lutz/Ray in OF, Hiura/Dubon at MI, Woodruff/Peralta/Diplan/Ponce/Pennington/Medeiros/Bickford at SP)

You and I have different definitions of well stocked. Phillips still has strike out problems and was barely above average in the majors offensively last year despite a .400+ BABIP, which isn't going to happen again. Lutz was in rookie ball last year. Ray hasn't hit since he was drafted.

I don't think Dubon is a very good prospect at all. Utility guy for me.

Medeiros and Bickford are relievers for me. Pennington is so far away that I'm not counting on him for anything in the next three years. Ponce is a fly ball pitcher whose strikeout rate has fallen every year and is probably a reliever. Diplan walked over 5 per 9 innings last year. Peralta may end up being a reliever.

Just naming a bunch of prospects doesn't really do anything. Like pretty much every team has guys like you just mentioned with the exception of Hiura, Harrison, Woodruff and Phillips.

According to Baseball Reference, Phillips was a 1.4 WAR player in 98 PA.

Archived