Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

twi7 wants to rebuild forever

Well, he's not entirely wrong. The argument is really about whether the team is ready to start using assets to acquire more proven assets. I highly doubt twi7 would have any problem with this if he were more confident in the rest of the existing roster.

Not trying to speak for twi7, just an assumption I had made.

Trading for proven guys that are under contract for 4-5 years is not stopping the rebuilding.

I fully against signing the likes of Cain and trading assets for 1 year rentals, but if we can get a proven, youngish guy right now that under control. Whats to say if we aren't as good as we thought, we cant trade say Archer away for prospects.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, he's not entirely wrong. The argument is really about whether the team is ready to start using assets to acquire more proven assets. I highly doubt twi7 would have any problem with this if he were more confident in the rest of the existing roster.

Trading for proven guys that are under contract for 4-5 years is not stopping the rebuilding.

I fully against signing the likes of Cain and trading assets for 1 year rentals, but if we can get a proven, youngish guy right now that under control. Whats to say if we aren't as good as we thought, we cant trade say Archer away for prospects.

That's the other point. I strongly disagree that acquiring a guy like Yelich is a change in course.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

So tell me where this roster crunch with the 40 man is? We still have a ton of crap on the roster that can be replaced. We might be at risk of losing a guy like Pennington but like I said, we were already willing to lose a similar prospect with no 40 man crunch.

I agree with you that the list really isn't as long as it appears sometimes when a long list is given and many really don't deserve 40 man spots. However, it goes back to the fact that the Brewers need a major league 25 man roster and then 13 or 14 minor leaguers that will be on the 40 man and probably 1 or two guys on the DL to make up the remaining 40 man in season. You listed 12 guys, that leaves 1 or 2 minor leaguers currently on the 40 man. Current minor leaguers or the guys on your list will have to make significant jumps to be on the 2019 Brewers opening day roster. If not, then some of those 12 you listed will have to be left unprotected/traded or current minor leaguers on the 40 man will have to be DFA/traded.

That's something that gets overlooked. Trading big prospects for Yelich is, in all likelihood, a reversible move. If two years down the road things aren't working out the way you hoped, pretty easy to put Yelich back on the block and probably recoup all the value you gave up.

Yeah he won't have as much control at that time but if he continues his career trajectory and puts up a couple 5 WAR seasons, he'd only be 28 and even more proven and his contract would look even lighter than it does now. He'd be worth a haul like he is now.

Totally hypothetical - Say we trade Brinson/Ortiz/Burnes/Diaz/Harrison for Machado, but Machado agrees to resign here 5/150 - Would anyone say no to that?

I doubt I would do that. Machado would definitely not do that.

Totally hypothetical - Say we trade Brinson/Ortiz/Burnes/Diaz/Harrison for Machado, but Machado agrees to resign here 5/150 - Would anyone say no to that?

I would say no emphatically. Machado looked mediocre for most of last season. I would neither trade for him or give him $150M.

I know how talented he is, he would be the best player on the Brewers, but Yelich could easily outperform him over the next 5 years.

I would say no emphatically. Machado looked mediocre for most of last season. I would neither trade for him or give him $150M.

I know how talented he is, he would be the best player on the Brewers, but Yelich could easily outperform him over the next 5 years.

Thats kind of my point - You trade those players away for the right situation and getting a stud OF and a SP like Archer, you do it.

How about we sweeten the prospect package and take on Wei-Yin Chen's full salary (overpaid but a serviceable rotation option when healthy) for Yelich and Realmuto?

If that means we pay less in prospects, I'm all for it!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

How about we sweeten the prospect package and take on Wei-Yin Chen's full salary (overpaid but a serviceable rotation option when healthy) for Yelich and Realmuto?

Realmuto too? Regardless of if you take on Chen's salary, you are probably adding two more premium prospects. He is 26, and on a minimum salary. I can't think of a motivation the marlins would have to move him, which means you are looking at a major overpay. At least Yelich has requested a trade, which takes away a little of the Marlins' leverage.

Trading for a 26 year old OF is a smart move.

Obviously if they include Brinson it means the Brewers don't believe he will be as good as Yelich.

The 40 man isn't a big deal next year because we have plenty on the 40 man now that don't matter.

The coming 40 man roster crunch isn't obvious this season, but if and when enough some of the premium prospects at lower levels force their way towards mlb by being really good at baseball (hiura, lutz, burnes, heck kirby if he ever gets healthy, etc), you run out of space extremely fast and current prospects that are thought to be safely on the 40 man are out of room and their trade value plummets if they aren't immediately contributing on the 25 man mlb roster. If anyone should know this, my guess is a guy on the inside of the Astros operations at the time like Stearns was would.

This is why the Astros were willing to part with the prospects shipped in trades for gomez and giles, they thought there were equal or better optons at lower levels and even though it stung to send some of them away they were confident in their personnel department to replenish the system and buy a few more years of a flexible 40 man while strengthening their mlb roster at the same time.

Regarding 40 man, you also have Perin (who is underrated here), Lara/Medeiros who could come on strong this year, Griep (someone would definitely take him in Rule 5) Herrera, another guy definitely worth protecting. Not to mention guys who could really step up who are low on the radar, which happens every year.

I mentioned adding Medeiros, so I'm not sure why you have him listed. Perrin is a probable add so I missed him. Lara posted a sub .500 OPS in low A last year. The chances of him being taken, even with a good season are slim to none. Herrera is likely going to be pitching in low A on an innings count. So yeah, he could get picked but the chances of it are small. Some team can have Griep. A 24 year old reliever with a 1.7 K/BB ratio in A+? That's not someone you protect unless you have no other prospects and even then you can probably find someone else worth protecting.

Plus, that doesn't include the following year, when yet another impressive list will be added. You can always wait, sure, but best deals don't tend to get done when other teams know you need to unload players.

You don't tend to get the best deals either by rushing into them because you feel you have to do something to clear up a log jam either.

Realmuto too? Regardless of if you take on Chen's salary, you are probably adding two more premium prospects. He is 26, and on a minimum salary. I can't think of a motivation the marlins would have to move him, which means you are looking at a major overpay. At least Yelich has requested a trade, which takes away a little of the Marlins' leverage.

Realmuto publicly requested a trade too, and while he's still cheap he's entering his arbitration years.

It doesn't make rational sense for the Marlins to trade him, although it seems unlikely they are competitive by the time he's a FA, but never underestimate their willingness to unload quality players to save money (in this case Chen's remaining $50+M)

Realmuto publicly requested a trade too, and while he's still cheap he's entering his arbitration years.

It doesn't make rational sense for the Marlins to trade him, although it seems unlikely they are competitive by the time he's a FA, but never underestimate their willingness to unload quality players to save money (in this case Chen's remaining $50+M)

The Marlins have stated that they're out of cost-cutting mode. I think they'll just let Chen's contract rot unless somebody really sweetens the pot with an offer to take that contract off their hands.

Their payroll is probably going to be like $85 million (without Yelich) this year and then Chen + 24 pre-arby/arby players over the next 3 years. They'll probably just let it rot because they can live with 2 or 3 $40-50 million payrolls.

They could also see if Chen can come back and generate any trade buzz in 2018 or 2019 with a decent performance.

Including Chen with Yelich makes no sense as it will limit the prospect haul. For Yelich alone the Brewers probably will include Brinson, Burnes and Diaz. For Yelich and Chen the Brewers probably offer Brinson and Ray tops.

Chen stays in Miami unless they are able to move him for an Ellsbury or Matt Kemp contract.

Including Chen with Yelich makes no sense as it will limit the prospect haul. For Yelich alone the Brewers probably will include Brinson, Burnes and Diaz. For Yelich and Chen the Brewers probably offer Brinson and Ray tops.

Chen stays in Miami unless they are able to move him for an Ellsbury or Matt Kemp contract.

But if Miami moves Chen, they can now buy any/everyone next year if they want with only minimum/near minimum contracts. Also, if we were willing to take Ellsbury (no clue if true), I see no reason we wouldn't take Chen.

So, trade Brinson & Ray for Yelich and Chen.

Trade Santana for Kipnis & Meija

New Roster:

OF: Braun, Yelich, Phillips, Broxton

1B: Thames

2B: Kipnis

SS: Arcia

3B: Shaw

IF Bench: Sogard, Perez, Aguilar

C: Pina, Vogt

SP: Anderson, Davis, Chacin, Chen, Woodruff (& Nelson, Burnes, Wilkerson, Ortiz ready to contribute in May/June in case of injury or performance)

RP: Kneble, Hader, Logan, Barnes, Jeffress, Suter, Williams

We could still sign a SP FA (Lynn, Cobb, ...), RP FA (Oh), trade Villar for someone, trade Aguilar for someone and let Braun take all lefties at 1st. And to top it off, we improve the team while probably improving our farm (Meija & prospect for Villar vs Brinson & Ray).

Archived