Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

Why not just pony up the prospects for Archer then instead of trying to pull off this crazy series of moves if we need move a few guys to clear space? 4 years of control and pulling off one move seems way more realistic then everything involved in this musical chairs involved here. We'll see, fingers crossed.

Another thing, if the team thinks of itself as contenders why did they punt on relief pitching?

I would guess they plan on keeping Hader in the pen, and between Taylor Williams, Houser, Peralta, and Lopez, maybe they really like their internal candidates.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not just pony up the prospects for Archer then instead of trying to pull off this crazy series of moves if we need move a few guys to clear space? 4 years of control and pulling off one move seems way more realistic then everything involved in this musical chairs involved here. We'll see, fingers crossed.

Another thing, if the team thinks of itself as contenders why did they punt on relief pitching?

I would guess they plan on keeping Hader in the pen, and between Taylor Williams, Houser, Peralta, and Lopez, maybe they really like their internal candidates.

Yes, plus it's still only January 24th.

how is trading for Yelich abandoning the rebuild?

Good question. He's a 26 year old elite OFer with 5 years of control left. In no way is a Yelich acquisition abandoning the rebuild.

What happens next is the question. Is this basically it? If we stand pat or do a smaller free agency move and lose the division by 7 games, where do we go after that?

Yelich is still around for 4 years after the first season I just mentioned above but now you have to decide how much more of your chips to put on the table.

Or do we empty out more of the farm system to try to win this year/next immediately?

Another factor (that others have mentioned here and there) is the fact that we will have a MAJOR 40 man roster crunch in the near future. We could lose a lot of talent to the next two rule-5 drafts. I'd rather have Yellich for some prospects than $200,000 in rule-5 compensation.

Another factor (that others have mentioned here and there) is the fact that we will have a MAJOR 40 man roster crunch in the near future. We could lose a lot of talent to the next two rule-5 drafts. I'd rather have Yellich for some prospects than $200,000 in rule-5 compensation.

I personally think that we can keep the majority of these guys and/or consolidate in less "major" ways. Chances are, the 2-3 guys at the bottom of our roster crunch are probably guys that the front office values less than us on the boards think. If the Marlins take 2-3 guys along with Brinson, they'll likely be guys that major league evaluators covet.

I'm completely against moving any of our pitching prospects in a Yelich deal, and that's my fear right now. If you believe in Brinson, let him play CF this year and keep your other prospects for other moves (preferably pitching). I just don't think Yelich makes us a contender barring some major rotation changes.

I personally think that we can keep the majority of these guys and/or consolidate in less "major" ways. Chances are, the 2-3 guys at the bottom of our roster crunch are probably guys that the front office values less than us on the boards think. If the Marlins take 2-3 guys along with Brinson, they'll likely be guys that major league evaluators covet.

I don't. You don't get to keep your prospects for an infinite amount of time. You aren't going to have spots for all of them and a large number of them are never going to achieve the assumed (and lofty) level of success you seem to be placing on them.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I'm completely against moving any of our pitching prospects in a Yelich deal, and that's my fear right now. If you believe in Brinson, let him play CF this year and keep your other prospects for other moves (preferably pitching). I just don't think Yelich makes us a contender barring some major rotation changes.

It's not about just Yelich in a vacuum.

The 40 man will have some serious crunching in December as well, they are at a point where they need to cash in some of these prospects or lose them for nothing in the rule 5 draft

I see this but do we really need to cash in on our prospects?

https://twitter.com/BrewersFarm/status/943587951824515072/photo/1

Out of that list I'd protect

Bickford

Derby

maybe Pennington but we were willing to lose a similar type prospect in Diaz with no roster crunch

Ortiz

Ponce

Supak

Yamamoto (maybe)

Medeiros

Diaz

Gatewood

Harrison

Stokes

So that's 11 guys at most. We currently have a full 40 man but it will likely drop to 39 when Wang goes to Korea. Gallardo and Logan are on one year contracts. If Guerra doesn't pitch well this year, he's likely off the 40 man. We could easily dump Tyler Webb, Oliver Drake and Aaron Wilkerson. We have 5 catchers on the 40 man. Vogt was on the bubble this year and could be on the chopping block and we could still get rid of one of Bandy, Pina and Susac on top of that. If Villar has another bad year, he's probably going to be non-tendered. Depending on cost one of Sogard and Perez could be non-tendered as well. Broxton may very well be traded or non-tendered if he's on the team for the entire year

I've already dropped our current 40 man roster down to 28 with little to no value lost. We would probably sign a couple of guys to fill major league roles but guys like Dubon who is already on the 40 man could fill a role left by Sogard, Villar or Perez. We still have a ton of outfield depth we wouldn't need to sign a Broxton replacement. Williams, Knebel, Hader, Houser, Barnes, Jeffress is a mostly filled bullpen. You might not even have to sign anyone and just see if guys like Derby and Medeiros are ready.

Davies, Nelson, Anderson, Chacin, Woodruff is your rotation, with Bickford, Ortiz, Peralta waiting in the wings. You might have to add Burnes to the 40 man because he might force his way to the majors. Of course if you do add Burnes, then someone is pushed to the bullpen and your need to sign another bullpen arm isn't there leaving you in the same spot you were.

So tell me where this roster crunch with the 40 man is? We still have a ton of crap on the roster that can be replaced. We might be at risk of losing a guy like Pennington but like I said, we were already willing to lose a similar prospect with no 40 man crunch.

I’m all for giving up some of our prospects to get Yelich as long as it’s position players. After all is said in done we’re making this move to strengthen our pitching with other movers as a result of this trade.In the end we are always going to be a team that must develop pitching in the minors there’s no way we can ever compete with the big money clubs for top of the market pitching,unless there is a hard cap which we all know will not happen. Never give up your pitching prospects for position players.

I keep seeing people saying Yelich has 5 years of control, but Cott's is showing only four more years?

Even still, this doesn't strike me as a win-now move, which I am against. It is a rare opportunity to get a star player for his prime years at a premium contract. That doesn't come around often, and I am all for taking advantage of it. They can possibly recoup some prospects if they trade Santana and/or take on some of Ellsbury's contract in return for some prospects.

twi7 wants to rebuild forever

And everyone else wants to hang a banner of "we had an All Star outfielder and only lost the division by 7 games for a few years."

I can play that game, too.

I get that there is risk in continuing to let the prospects go and finding out in 3 years that it's still an 80 win team, but this could start a chain of moves that makes us a 2nd place team for 3-4 years and then go into another lengthy rebuild.

Well, he's not entirely wrong. The argument is really about whether the team is ready to start using assets to acquire more proven assets. I highly doubt twi7 would have any problem with this if he were more confident in the rest of the existing roster.

Not trying to speak for twi7, just an assumption I had made.

I keep seeing people saying Yelich has 5 years of control, but Cott's is showing only four more years?

Even still, this doesn't strike me as a win-now move, which I am against. It is a rare opportunity to get a star player for his prime years at a premium contract. That doesn't come around often, and I am all for taking advantage of it. They can possibly recoup some prospects if they trade Santana and/or take on some of Ellsbury's contract in return for some prospects.

It says "+'22 option" in the detail part of the spreadsheet but doesn't have anything marked in the '22 column. It's there, just not accurately reflected in the columns.

I've come to think it was Ellsbury or Yelich (not that the two are comparable). Assuming Santana is traded, you would be looking at a OF of Braun, Brinson & Phillips with Broxton as the 4th. If we get Yellich, assume Brinson is gone and you now have are good with Braun, Yellich and Phillips and Broxton as backup to all spots and defensive replacement. If we get Ellsbury, he's to be the veteran 4th OF or emergency starter in case a young player struggles behind Braun, Brinson and Phillips. I don't see the value in having Ellsbury behind Braun, Yellich and Phillips.

Well, he's not entirely wrong. The argument is really about whether the team is ready to start using assets to acquire more proven assets. I highly doubt twi7 would have any problem with this if he were more confident in the rest of the existing roster.

Exactly. Check back with me in July and if Shaw, Santana, Knebel, Anderson, Nelson (if he's back) etc. are doing what they did last year I'd be much more open to using some prospects to get upgrades.

Hoping today is the day something finally goes down or we can put these rumors to bed. Been a long couple of days refreshing and re-refreshing this site lol.

I've been told that process is considered "fun".

It says "+'22 option" in the detail part of the spreadsheet but doesn't have anything marked in the '22 column. It's there, just not accurately reflected in the columns.

From what I can tell, he's got a 2022 team option for $15 Million with a $1.2 Million buyout.

Regarding 40 man, you also have Perin (who is underrated here), Lara/Medeiros who could come on strong this year, Griep (someone would definitely take him in Rule 5) Herrera, another guy definitely worth protecting. Not to mention guys who could really step up who are low on the radar, which happens every year.

Plus, that doesn't include the following year, when yet another impressive list will be added. You can always wait, sure, but best deals don't tend to get done when other teams know you need to unload players.

Exactly. Check back with me in July and if Shaw, Santana, Knebel, Anderson, Nelson (if he's back) etc. are doing what they did last year I'd be much more open to using some prospects to get upgrades.

While I tend to lean more toward buying in to the performance levels (particularly on the offensive side) from last year. I am less bullish about the pitching but that is where you have to stop looking at the Yelich move in a vacuum. If they do indeed get Yelich, that will not be the only move. They will get more pitching.

And everyone else wants to hang a banner of "we had an All Star outfielder and only lost the division by 7 games for a few years."

I can play that game, too.

I get that there is risk in continuing to let the prospects go and finding out in 3 years that it's still an 80 win team, but this could start a chain of moves that makes us a 2nd place team for 3-4 years and then go into another lengthy rebuild.

You assume that the Cubs are going to stop spending money in 4-5 years when the Brewers' hypothetical "rebuild" is complete? No ... you make moves that are best for the team now and in the future. You trade prospects for established players, then use the draft and other personnel moves to restock the system. You go into every year with the thought that you can compete for a pennant. That's what well-run organizations do.

Archived