Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

Brewers and Astro's value athleticism over production. Think 5 tool players at literally every position. Goldschmidt, Altuve, and McCutcheon in his prime are poster children for the Brewers. And maybe not even the strongest in one tool, but no weakness in any of the tools. Prince Fielder, Billy Hamilton, and Khris Davis are the antagonists of what the Brewers want. One trick ponies who have glaring weaknesses that can and will be exposed by not only pitchers, but especially "playoff" pitchers.

Hence the push for Yelich:

If you try to hit at him he will get you out.

If you try to run on him he will throw you out.

If he gets on base he will cause the pitcher headaches.

If a runner is at third he will find away to put the ball in play and get that player home .

If a strikeout is the worst case scenario when he is up, he will not strikeout.

If the pitcher makes a mistake he will take him yard.

Yelich and Braun will make the best pitchers quiver when they are up in a clutch situation. And that's how you build a playoff team. Not power hitters who put up 34 of their 41 HR's off of lolly pops. Lolly pops don't pitch in October.

This is all well and good. I love yelich but calling him 5 tool at CF isn't right. He's not a strong defensive CF. Would be a GG LF but he's a worse defensive cf than Broxton. The arm can't play RF. I honestly wonder how this would play out defensively. Phillips could be a GG RF but yelich and braun wouldn't impress. Braun yelich santana would be quite bad defensively.

Leads me to my ever reverting back to "god I wish we didnt have braun" take. Could get cain for less. Cain yelich santana shaw thames/aguilar pina 2b arcia. Damn Braun.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The multiple top 5 picks thing is no guarantee. How many top 5 picks did the Dodgers had? How about the Indians? Red Sox? There are correlations between pick and success but of Dave Cameron’s top 30 assets in MLB, only 4 were top 5 picks (Correa, Bryant, Posey, and Jon Gray)

You can scorch the earth all you want, but if you don’t get good at evaluation and player development, you are just going to have less MLB assets to trade from.

Stearns is not dumb. He can knows how projections work. He knows how to account for all the data presented to him and make smart decisions for the overall health of the organization.

Brewers and Astro's value athleticism over production. Think 5 tool players at literally every position. Goldschmidt, Altuve, and McCutcheon in his prime are poster children for the Brewers. And maybe not even the strongest in one tool, but no weakness in any of the tools. Prince Fielder, Billy Hamilton, and Khris Davis are the antagonists of what the Brewers want. One trick ponies who have glaring weaknesses that can and will be exposed by not only pitchers, but especially "playoff" pitchers.

Hence the push for Yelich:

If you try to hit at him he will get you out.

If you try to run on him he will throw you out.

If he gets on base he will cause the pitcher headaches.

If a runner is at third he will find away to put the ball in play and get that player home .

If a strikeout is the worst case scenario when he is up, he will not strikeout.

If the pitcher makes a mistake he will take him yard.

Yelich and Braun will make the best pitchers quiver when they are up in a clutch situation. And that's how you build a playoff team. Not power hitters who put up 34 of their 41 HR's off of lolly pops. Lolly pops don't pitch in October.

This is all well and good. I love yelich but calling him 5 tool at CF isn't right. He's not a strong defensive CF. Would be a GG LF but he's a worse defensive cf than Broxton. The arm can't play RF. I honestly wonder how this would play out defensively. Phillips could be a GG RF but yelich and braun wouldn't impress. Braun yelich santana would be quite bad defensively.

Leads me to my ever reverting back to "god I wish we didnt have braun" take. Could get cain for less. Cain yelich santana shaw thames/aguilar pina 2b arcia. Damn Braun.

It's going to play out likely this imo

LF - Yelich

CF - Brinson/Phillips whoever stays

RF - Braun

Santana traded, this may be where the hypothetical Ellsbury deal comes in too.

Wow that took 30mins to catch up.

Understand if you get Yelich and 5 years of a kid all in prime aged years, you can trade him should fail over the next 3years and get back quality somewhere. And that's just it, if you're taking on guys like Yelich with multiple years of control, who is clearly a Great player, he holds value to return on this investment in to him.

HH's sting pretty much gives me the idea it's 2 top 100 prospects like Brinson and 1 of Burnes,Harrison, or Hiura with filler. Doubling up on OF's I would doubt so I expect Harrison to not go, but Burnes or Hiura. I'm going on Brinson and Hiura as 2b is needed more among Miami's prospect over a SP. And you know what, Dubon and Diaz are still here for 2b and the future. Yelich>Brinson I'm not going to shed a tear on losing Hiura.

Correct me if im wrong, but can it be Hiura? Hasnt been a year since the draft

Understand if you get Yelich and 5 years of a kid all in prime aged years, you can trade him should fail over the next 3years and get back quality somewhere. And that's just it, if you're taking on guys like Yelich with multiple years of control, who is clearly a Great player, he holds value to return on this investment in to him.

HH's sting pretty much gives me the idea it's 2 top 100 prospects like Brinson and 1 of Burnes,Harrison, or Hiura with filler. Doubling up on OF's I would doubt so I expect Harrison to not go, but Burnes or Hiura. I'm going on Brinson and Hiura as 2b is needed more among Miami's prospect over a SP. And you know what, Dubon and Diaz are still here for 2b and the future. Yelich>Brinson I'm not going to shed a tear on losing Hiura.

PTBNL

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

PTBNL

Those are the old rules which were eliminated with the new CBA. Once the 2017 season ended, all 2017 draft picks were eligible to be traded at free will.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

you can trade him should fail over the next 3years and get back quality somewhere.

So you fail over the next 3 years and now you're back where you started, except now Yelich is down to two years of control. Sounds great. This 86 win season was the worst thing that could've happened to this franchise.

It's only bad if the FO truly thinks this is an 86 win team and goes all in for 2018. That would be Bucks post fear the deer silliness. By any measures I can find. The team played way over their analytics. If there is a site that evaluates then differently I'd like to see it.

The only caveat is if the FO really thinks our prospects aren't as good as we all hope and they want to sell high?

you can trade him should fail over the next 3years and get back quality somewhere.

So you fail over the next 3 years and now you're back where you started, except now Yelich is down to two years of control. Sounds great. This 86 win season was the worst thing that could've happened to this franchise.

Wow, so watching an exciting team is bad? Hoping for failure? Hoping to tank for a higher draft pick? I respect your passion, but find it very odd.

all the potential moves being tossed around are for MLB players that will have multiple years left on their current deals or will have multiple years left before reaching free agency. Yelich has 5 years left on his deal, pretty much what Brinson has left before he's a free agent and he hasn't come close to establishing himself at the MLB level yet. These potential moves aren't for a 1-2 year window to try and contend and if it blows up hold a firesale this July - they make sense because they both improve this year's club but also set them up for sustained success 3-4 years out.

Wonderful. Why don't we plan on that sustained success 3-4 years out with our own prospects? 86 wins with a ton of guys performing to levels that probably aren't sustainable and we suddenly want to push all-in and give up our prospects for Yelich, Archer, whoever the hell else and hope we can overtake the Cubs or maybe win a one game playoff? It's insane to me.

I'm on board with you trwi7, I want to sustain our rebuild until we are actually rebuilt, not abandon the plan all together because we "almost" made the playoffs last year.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

all the potential moves being tossed around are for MLB players that will have multiple years left on their current deals or will have multiple years left before reaching free agency. Yelich has 5 years left on his deal, pretty much what Brinson has left before he's a free agent and he hasn't come close to establishing himself at the MLB level yet. These potential moves aren't for a 1-2 year window to try and contend and if it blows up hold a firesale this July - they make sense because they both improve this year's club but also set them up for sustained success 3-4 years out.

Wonderful. Why don't we plan on that sustained success 3-4 years out with our own prospects? 86 wins with a ton of guys performing to levels that probably aren't sustainable and we suddenly want to push all-in and give up our prospects for Yelich, Archer, whoever the hell else and hope we can overtake the Cubs or maybe win a one game playoff? It's insane to me.

I'm on board with you trwi7, I want to sustain our rebuild until we are actually rebuilt, not abandon the plan all together because we "almost" made the playoffs last year.

You know they do make more prospects, starting with the 2018 draft or swapping with other teams for their prospects. It's not like there is a finite amount of them and once they're gone the species is extinct....right?

Maybe i'm the one nuts around here thinking there are only 3 OF spots (really 2 with Braun) and about 6 guys to play them, with another wave coming in 2-3 years behind that.

But when are you "rebuilt"? I would argue it is when you have a solid farm system and the team is on the cusp of playoff contention ...

What you guys are arguing for is cyclical and subjective. No one is arguing about abandoning the rebuild. They aren't trading off the whole farm system to "go for it" in 2018. Far, far from it.

What you are arguing is that the current foundation of players is poor at the MLB level, and they need to tank for several seasons while selling of MLB assets to continue to stack the minor league system with a bunch of "what ifs". As I mentioned last night, that basically turns your team into a farm club for playoff contenders, with no realistic light at the end of the tunnel.

The 40 man will have some serious crunching in December as well, they are at a point where they need to cash in some of these prospects or lose them for nothing in the rule 5 draft

The 40 man will have some serious crunching in December as well, they are at a point where they need to cash in some of these prospects or lose them for nothing in the rule 5 draft

This is an important thing to remember. While it is great to want to keep our prospects, at some point room needs to be made for them on the roster or we need to use them as trade chips to try to improve our roster. I don't think that one trade ends a rebuild. Overall Stearns has done nothing to not have my trust. We have to see how this plays out.

Did you see a Manny Machado trade proposal or something?

This is an important thing to remember. While it is great to want to keep our prospects, at some point room needs to be made for them on the roster or we need to use them as trade chips to try to improve our roster. I don't think that one trade ends a rebuild. Overall Stearns has done nothing to not have my trust. We have to see how this plays out.

I think what they are advocating is trading off the team's top MLB assets, such as Anderson, Davies, Nelson, Thames, Aguilar, Shaw, Pina, Broxton, Braun, Santana and Knebel. The thought is that most of those guys performed above expectations and won't be able to repeat, so strike while the iron is hot. But then you are left playing either cheap sub-replacement-level veterans or prospects that arguably aren't ready yet, and winning 60 games. I guess that is a school of thought, but it sure isn't a fun one.

His interest in Yelich is not abandoning a rebuild. It's looking to improve the organization. I firmly this is what he does everyday, whether it's major league or rookie league.

A deal for Yelich signals nothing other than we got a really good player and probably gave up some really good prospects.

I had the same position as trwi and others coming into the off-season. Trade Knebel and others for even more top shelf prospects. Don't stop rebuilding just because of season that exceeded expectations.

Then I saw the list of guys who need to be protected on the 40 at the end of this year. If you haven't seen it, you really should. And that doesn't include guys for the following year, players who will pop up we're not even thinking much about, etc. So why not trade a few of them now and get a really good player under control for 5 years rather than losing players in Rule 5?

Look, I'm still vehemently against some of the proposals I've seen here over the last couple months, trades involving players with 2 years of control. This Yelich trade isn't that. You're essentially trading unproven players with 6 years control for a proven player with 5 years control.

Also, I've come around to accepting this isn't an either/or situation. There's not one way of doing this that's right, and one that's wrong. If they decided to trade a few players for prospects I would have been all in. Now that it looks like they want to continue to build on the success of last season, that can work also.

It's not like they have abandoned the youth movement. You have Santana, Arcia, Phillips, Woodruff, Hader, Williams on the 25. By the end of 2018 you will have another 2 rookie pitchers (Being general assuming this trade), probably Dubon. After this deal, no matter who they give up, the farm will not be bare. They can only play so many guys, so these traded would need to happen at some point anyhow right? For all we know we're selling them high.

All of this to say, I guess I will trust what Stearns is doing until proven otherwise.

Some perspective: If you had a crystal ball and could guarantee that a prospect would turn into Yelich, that prospect would be #1 in all of baseball. Meanwhile Yelich is under team control for a full five seasons, only one less than a prospect.

Why not just pony up the prospects for Archer then instead of trying to pull off this crazy series of moves if we need move a few guys to clear space? 4 years of control and pulling off one move seems way more realistic than everything involved in this musical chairs involved here. We'll see, fingers crossed.

Another thing, if the team thinks of itself as contenders why did they punt on relief pitching?

For the recent Yelich control posts, yes of course that's correct. But you're not giving up one guy for him, you're giving up 3-4 and at least one will be a starting P prospect which MKE should be clinging to like dear life. In it of itself, getting Yelich even for a pricey package is fine but the subsequent moves needed after make me nervous. Along with that you don't really need an OF since you have Santana controlled for 4-5 years too and he's good. And no matter what you do you're not the favorite to win the division.

how is trading for Yelich abandoning the rebuild?

Good question. He's a 26 year old elite OFer with 5 years of control left. In no way is a Yelich acquisition abandoning the rebuild.

What happens next is the question. Is this basically it? If we stand pat or do a smaller free agency move and lose the division by 7 games, where do we go after that?

Yelich is still around for 4 years after the first season I just mentioned above but now you have to decide how much more of your chips to put on the table.

Or do we empty out more of the farm system to try to win this year/next immediately?

Exactly. Yelich is only 29 months older than Brinson and Phillips, who both turn 24 in May. He's younger than Broxton, just 8 months older than Santana (with 5 years of control vs. Santana's 4). Yelich was an established major leaguer by age 22. Brinson and Phillips spent the bulk of their age 22 seasons in AA. This isn't some prospects for aging veteran deal.

Good question. He's a 26 year old elite OFer with 5 years of control left. In no way is a Yelich acquisition abandoning the rebuild.

What happens next is the question. Is this basically it? If we stand pat or do a smaller free agency move and lose the division by 7 games, where do we go after that?

Yelich is still around for 4 years after the first season I just mentioned above but now you have to decide how much more of your chips to put on the table.

Or do we empty out more of the farm system to try to win this year/next immediately?

That's always the question.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived