Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

I want yelich sooo badly. It will sting... oy.

Brinson fine

hell phillips too fine

Ortiz or Burnes thats enough right?

This oh yeah toss in fperalta and diaz stuff is scary as heck.

Yelich cain salazar for prospects money and santana.

Yelich Cain shaw braun thames/aguilar pina 2b arcia is massive

Anderson salazar nelson (hope) davies chacin/woodruff

I'm down with it but we have to retain a few like diaz huira harrison lutz and 1 of ortiz burnes... dubon peralta too please.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
all the potential moves being tossed around are for MLB players that will have multiple years left on their current deals or will have multiple years left before reaching free agency. Yelich has 5 years left on his deal, pretty much what Brinson has left before he's a free agent and he hasn't come close to establishing himself at the MLB level yet. These potential moves aren't for a 1-2 year window to try and contend and if it blows up hold a firesale this July - they make sense because they both improve this year's club but also set them up for sustained success 3-4 years out.

Wonderful. Why don't we plan on that sustained success 3-4 years out with our own prospects? 86 wins with a ton of guys performing to levels that probably aren't sustainable and we suddenly want to push all-in and give up our prospects for Yelich, Archer, whoever the hell else and hope we can overtake the Cubs or maybe win a one game playoff? It's insane to me.

If you tell me which of these prospects will amount to the caliber of Yelich, Archer, and whoever the hell else is 3 years from now, maybe you have a point. Odds are that none of them do, and you'd have a better team with comparable payroll flexibility with Yelich, Archer, and whoever the hell else 3 years from now than keeping said prospects. There will also be additional prospects 3-4 years out who won't be dealt this year that could be better than anyone leaving the organization.

you don't know. What's insane to me is being fine with the assumption that there's always a rosier scenario 3-4 years out by standing pat, with the expectation that a team with a national following in Chicago that's about to strike an enormous TV deal around 2020 will somehow run out of money and start being bad at scouting to suddenly be a non-factor in the division.

Wonderful. Why don't we plan on that sustained success 3-4 years out with our own prospects? 86 wins with a ton of guys performing to levels that probably aren't sustainable and we suddenly want to push all-in and give up our prospects for Yelich, Archer, whoever the hell else and hope we can overtake the Cubs or maybe win a one game playoff? It's insane to me.

OK, wait. You want to just hang on to our own guys and build that way, but at the same time you are saying that our guys performed over their heads?

No! The whole goal of a farm system is to win at the MLB level. If the farm system produces young guys that become MLB standouts, great! If you trade young guys for MLB standouts, also great! I'd much rather have a World Series title than a top ranked farm system. It sounds as if you believe a World Series title is impossible for this team.

Do you think the Astros are kicking themselves because they gave up Hader, Phillips, Santana and Houser for Gomez and Fiers?

Wait, what? Yes, of course they're kicking themselves. There's not even a question about that. Gomez wasn't even on their World Series winning team and Fiers pitched like crap this year in the regular season and didn't pitch once in the playoffs.

Could you imagine having Santana as an OF/DH instead of Beltran making their offense even better? Could you imagine Phillips as a pinch runner/pinch hitter/defensive replacement in the playoffs? Could you imagine Hader stabilizing their crappy bullpen?

Even if those four made zero contributions to the Astros they would still come out basically even because Gomez and Fiers provided exactly 0.1 WAR for the Astros this year and they could've used those four as part of their roster or in trades to supplement the roster far more than a player that wasn't on their team and a player with a 5.22 ERA and 5.43 FIP did.

Yelich has five years of control and is a proven MLB performer. Also, there is still a ton of talent in this system even after a trade like that.

That is a great thing and I will convince myself to like the trade, but imagine the scenario in 3 years if it is Brinson/Burnes/Harrison where Brinson is a good CF with 3 years left, Burnes is a good #2, and Harrison is knocking on the door all while the Cubs run is crumbling.

Your reasonable, what are the odds that all three of those guys pan out, assuming all three leave.

The closer to MLB you get, the less likely you are to fail. 1 guy at MLB, one in AAA, one in AA. The odds of all of the panning out aren't 100% but they are reasonable. The odds of 2 panning out are for sure better than 50/50.

Do you think the Astros are kicking themselves because they gave up Hader, Phillips, Santana and Houser for Gomez and Fiers?

Wait, what? Yes, of course they're kicking themselves. There's not even a question about that. Gomez wasn't even on their World Series winning team and Fiers pitched like crap this year in the regular season and didn't pitch once in the playoffs.

Could you imagine having Santana as an OF/DH instead of Beltran making their offense even better? Could you imagine Phillips as a pinch runner/pinch hitter/defensive replacement in the playoffs? Could you imagine Hader stabilizing their crappy bullpen?

Even if those four made zero contributions to the Astros they would still come out basically even because Gomez and Fiers provided exactly 0.1 WAR for the Astros this year and they could've used those four as part of their roster or in trades to supplement the roster far more than a player that wasn't on their team and a player with a 5.22 ERA and 5.43 FIP did.

Um, they won a World Series this year, and are stacked for years to come. No, they are not kicking themselves. Good teams don't do that. That only makes you afraid to make the next move. Yeah, the trade didn't work out great for them. Not all do. Imagine if they were freaked out by getting fleeced by the Brewers, and because of that, balked at trading for Verlander this past season?

Nope, because it never would've happened due to their 40 man roster crunch that prompted the Astros to start making deals from a loaded system, and they prioritized other players instead of them. I'm not saying the current Brewer system is anywhere close to what the Astros was 2-3 seasons ago, but those decisions had other forces at play aside from their brass thinking Fiers/Gomez were going to carry them for 4 years and the prospects leaving Houston wouldn't amount to anything.

OK, wait. You want to just hang on to our own guys and build that way, but at the same time you are saying that our guys performed over their heads?

I want to hang on to our prospects. I would've been shopping Knebel, Santana, Shaw, Pina, Anderson, maybe Davies etc. the second out 27 was made in game 162. Braun would've been shipped out last offseason for the best offer I got from a team not on his no-trade list before his 10/5 rights kicked in.

I would've done a complete scorched earth rebuild. Lose 100 for multiple years, get those top 1-3 draft picks, get all the bonus pool money to use in the later rounds. Every decent major leaguer traded for the best value I can get.

I understand a lot of people don't want to build that way but that's exactly what I wanted to do and I see no value in trying to get a bunch of 2-3 WAR major league players in trades. Those are the players you get after you have an established young core that's capable of providing the 5-7 WAR seasons.

Um, they won a World Series this year, and are stacked for years to come. No, they are not kicking themselves. Good teams don't do that. That only makes you afraid to make the next move. Yeah, the trade didn't work out great for them. Not all do. Imagine if they were freaked out by getting fleeced by the Brewers, and because of that, balked at trading for Verlander this past season?

That's such crap. You get Luhnow alone in a room and your memory is erased 5 seconds after he gives an answer to the question "Do you regret trading Santana, Hader, Houser and Phillips for Gomez and Fiers?" You honestly think he's going to say he doesn't regret it?

No GM is going to say well I got hosed on this deal, so I better not make another trade ever again.

Which is more likely, Brinson becomes a 4+ WAR player, or Yelich (entering his age 26 season) takes another step forward and becomes a perennial MVP candidate? They're both plausible.

Yelich has five years of control and is a proven MLB performer. Also, there is still a ton of talent in this system even after a trade like that.

That is a great thing and I will convince myself to like the trade, but imagine the scenario in 3 years if it is Brinson/Burnes/Harrison where Brinson is a good CF with 3 years left, Burnes is a good #2, and Harrison is knocking on the door all while the Cubs run is crumbling.

Your reasonable, what are the odds that all three of those guys pan out, assuming all three leave.

Not that high, but if we keep trading more to try to beat the Cubs, suddenly we’ll be praying that our few remaining prospects pan out.

I want to hang on to our prospects. I would've been shopping Knebel, Santana, Shaw, Pina, Anderson, maybe Davies etc. the second out 27 was made in game 162. Braun would've been shipped out last offseason for the best offer I got from a team not on his no-trade list before his 10/5 rights kicked in.

I would've done a complete scorched earth rebuild. Lose 100 for multiple years, get those top 1-3 draft picks, get all the bonus pool money to use in the later rounds. Every decent major leaguer traded for the best value I can get.

I understand a lot of people don't want to build that way but that's exactly what I wanted to do and I see no value in trying to get a bunch of 2-3 WAR major league players in trades. Those are the players you get after you have an established young core that's capable of providing the 5-7 WAR seasons.

So then what happens when the next group of players overachieves in a few years and the team is on the cusp of a playoff spot? Scorched earth again? I mean, when do you decide that you have the foundation of a contender? With the philosophy you propose, you are basically serving as a perpetual farm system for other MLB teams.

Which is more likely, Brinson becomes a 4+ WAR player, or Yelich (entering his age 26 season) takes another step forward and becomes a perennial MVP candidate? They're both plausible.

I'll say Brinson becoming a 4 WAR player.

So then what happens when the next group of players overachieves in a few years and the team is on the cusp of a playoff spot? Scorched earth again? I mean, when do you decide that you have the foundation of a contender? With the philosophy you propose, you are basically serving as a perpetual farm system for other MLB teams.

Agreed with this^

Serving as a perpetual farm system for the rest of the league and essentially just being a profit machine for the owner.

Well, how old are these players? Are they in their late 20s to 30 like Shaw, Nelson and Anderson who never had seasons like they had and couldn't have been expected to have seasons like they had when they had never come close to doing anything like that or are they in the 23-25 age range with room for future growth? Pretty big difference, don't you think?

The next group might have more elite/young prospects. I like this group but there are some older (prime-wise) contributors.

Not that high, but if we keep trading more to try to beat the Cubs, suddenly we’ll be praying that our few remaining prospects pan out.

Or you manage your farm system smart, draft well, catch lightning in a bottle on other teams' failed prospects, and hit on a few international prospects every year. This is not the mid-2000s Brewers that had a top-heavy farm system. This system is very deep, with very nice prospects at all levels.

This is such crap. How do you think an organization would ever be built? We're talking about lives, jobs, etc here while you play in perennial 100 loss land in a tiny market. Houston is a HUGE market. The Twins lived in 100 loss land for years, they got ZIPPO for it. The Padres have been living in dumpsterfire land for a decade, how is it working out for them? Kansas City lived there for THIRTY YEARS before it came together. Pittsburgh? Twenty years of being a joke before something came together.

Milwaukee can't attract top talent as it is, let's try losing 100 games for awhile and see how that gets big time talent / coaching / management talent in here for this supposed great rebuild that will happen.

Keep hugging those prospects though while real people are losing their jobs from management on down to the souvenier seller on the lower level. We're sure to have Mike Trout in Lewis Brinson, Derek Jeter in Isan Diaz, and Randy Johnson in Corbin Burns coming through the pipe.

Nobody is saying sell the farm. Pieces out with hypothetical Yelich, pieces in with hypothetical other trades. Perhaps Stearns doesn't like this crop of prospects you like and there are better ones out there.

What if it looks like this?

- Yelich deal happens.

- Santana is traded for Salazar & prospects (rather than Salazar & Kipnis).

- Brewers sign Walker to a respectable 2-year deal.

Then I think it means this:

- The offense becomes better-balanced (and LH/RH hitter ratio improves).

- OF defense quotient improves.

- Needed SP is acquired.

- Some good prospects go but a few come in, too.

- Walker solidifies 2B without blocking it long-term.

Stearns would've succeeded in upgrading the roster while still being responsible to the necessary long-term philosophy of acquiring controllable young talent.

We're all still waiting anxiously for this stuff to play out, but it's sure been fun the past couple days to have some seemingly legit & promising fodder to feast on.

Archived