Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

CF was a bad spot I concur but I am not sure we don't have enough in starters to make us a bettter team.

They aren't trading for Yelich and then doing nothing else. They will get pitching.

Add Yelich, then go hard after Arrieta.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nelson was worth 5 WAR for the period he played. He was one of the best pitchers in baseball and even with the optimism, we can’t be sure to count on him for anything.

Maybe Peralta/Guerra things won’t go wrong early but other bad things can also happen this year that we aren’t expecting.

Well right, Nelson definitely bogs that down a bit. But it's still pretty clear we were better in the 2nd half as young players became more established. From August 1 onward we were 31-24. Extrapolate that over the year and we are more of a 90-92 win team. We've added already and our young players can still improve. Add in Yelich, a front end starter, and hopefully either Nelson or a productive Burnes at some point during the season and we can compete with the top teams.

Maybe Peralta/Guerra things won’t go wrong early but other bad things can also happen this year that we aren’t expecting.

And other good things can happen...like not having Neftali Feliz closing games on opening day, having guys like Arcia and Shaw settled in as everyday players after a full MLB season under their belt, signing a very good starting pitcher for a relatively reasonable price, having Hader on the MLB pitching staff for a whole season, Braun miraculously staying reasonably healthy...ok that's probably a bit too much to ask!

And those things don't go wrong if we hoard prospects? There is always risk.

No, but there might be more room for error when using those prospects on the major league field 2-3 years from now. Right now, we need a lot to comfortably be projected in front of the Cubs.

CF was a bad spot I concur but I am not sure we don't have enough in starters to make us a bettter team.

They aren't trading for Yelich and then doing nothing else. They will get pitching.

Not only that but just because you want/need in one area doesn’t mean you don’t make moves in another to better your team. We get it. The Brewers need pitching much like 25 other teams.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Anderson was the team's 2nd best starter when healthy, and you have to expect he'll be back for a longer period than he was there in 2017. Davies is still very young (will be 25 this year), and can be expected to improve or at least hold his own. Chacin has been solid nearly his whole career. Woodruff got his feet wet last year and looked like he belonged.

Sure, I'd love to see another top of the rotation starter added, but when I look at the team's starting pitching, the cupboard is far from bare.

We were one game over .500 after the all-star break but were somehow better than an 86 win team?

We we had a rough week out of the break. From August 1 forward we went 31-24, that's without Nelson for a chunk of it. And we had a pretty tough schedule down the stretch.

And not even looking at numbers, if you watched the team throughout the season it's abundantly clear that we were better in September than we were in April. It really shouldn't even be up for debate.

And those things don't go wrong if we hoard prospects? There is always risk.

No, but there might be more room for error when using those prospects on the major league field 2-3 years from now. Right now, we need a lot to comfortably be projected in front of the Cubs.

Right, so we perpetually hoard prospects until, hopefully, it all comes together? Part of the purpose of having those prospects is to obtain more proven assets. Lets see how this plays out and then judge what we have.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

We were one game over .500 after the all-star break but were somehow better than an 86 win team?

We we had a rough week out of the break. From August 1 forward we went 31-24, that's without Nelson for a chunk of it. And we had a pretty tough schedule down the stretch.

And not even looking at numbers, if you watched the team throughout the season it's abundantly clear that we were better in September than we were in April. It really shouldn't even be up for debate.

Something that Stearns and Counsell are very aware of as well. Great post.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Right, so we perpetually hoard prospects until, hopefully, it all comes together? Part of the purpose of having those prospects is to obtain more proven assets. Lets see how this plays out and then judge what we have.

The other part of hoarding the prospects is to have a longer contention window as well as depth when injuries occur to your team.

The other part of hoarding the prospects is to have a longer contention window as well as depth when injuries occur to your team.

Yelich has five years of control and is a proven MLB performer. Also, there is still a ton of talent in this system even after a trade like that.

That rough week still counts. You know my stance but I think we had a ton of guys overachieve that are unlikely to repeat what they did last year and that knocks our win total down without even factoring in Nelson's injury. I think it would be a huge mistake to go and trade a bunch of prospects to try to win this year when we still won't even be the favorites in our division, might not even be favored to finish 2nd in our division and wouldn't even be a favorite to host a one game wildcard.

That rough week still counts. You know my stance but I think we had a ton of guys overachieve that are unlikely to repeat what they did last year and that knocks our win total down without even factoring in Nelson's injury. I think it would be a huge mistake to go and trade a bunch of prospects to try to win this year when we still won't even be the favorites in our division, might not even be favored to finish 2nd in our division and wouldn't even be a favorite to host a one game wildcard.

all the potential moves being tossed around are for MLB players that will have multiple years left on their current deals or will have multiple years left before reaching free agency. Yelich has 5 years left on his deal, pretty much what Brinson has left before he's a free agent and he hasn't come close to establishing himself at the MLB level yet. These potential moves aren't for a 1-2 year window to try and contend and if it blows up hold a firesale this July - they make sense because they both improve this year's club but also set them up for sustained success 3-4 years out.

Yelich will help but it does not solve our rotation issues

Yeah, you said that already and I'm sure you've read the counter arguments to that point.

Yeah, I like Yelich but I sure wish Stearns would improve our rotation........

Absolutely no one is advocating trading our top prospects for a bunch of one-year rentals. All of the players the team is being linked to in deals have multiple years of control. Sometimes when you have the opportunity to get a good player, you do it.

Good teams find a happy medium between developing their own players and acquiring contributors from the outside. Yelich has the potential to be a cornerstone player. Yes, that is worth the nice haul of prospects he's going to cost.

Do you think the Astros are kicking themselves because they gave up Hader, Phillips, Santana and Houser for Gomez and Fiers? If they tried, their WS trophy would get in the way.

all the potential moves being tossed around are for MLB players that will have multiple years left on their current deals or will have multiple years left before reaching free agency. Yelich has 5 years left on his deal, pretty much what Brinson has left before he's a free agent and he hasn't come close to establishing himself at the MLB level yet. These potential moves aren't for a 1-2 year window to try and contend and if it blows up hold a firesale this July - they make sense because they both improve this year's club but also set them up for sustained success 3-4 years out.

Wonderful. Why don't we plan on that sustained success 3-4 years out with our own prospects? 86 wins with a ton of guys performing to levels that probably aren't sustainable and we suddenly want to push all-in and give up our prospects for Yelich, Archer, whoever the hell else and hope we can overtake the Cubs or maybe win a one game playoff? It's insane to me.

Yelich has five years of control and is a proven MLB performer. Also, there is still a ton of talent in this system even after a trade like that.

That is a great thing and I will convince myself to like the trade, but imagine the scenario in 3 years if it is Brinson/Burnes/Harrison where Brinson is a good CF with 3 years left, Burnes is a good #2, and Harrison is knocking on the door all while the Cubs run is crumbling.

That is a great thing and I will convince myself to like the trade, but imagine the scenario in 3 years if it is Brinson/Burnes/Harrison where Brinson is a good CF with 3 years left, Burnes is a good #2, and Harrison is knocking on the door all while the Cubs run is crumbling.

Your reasonable, what are the odds that all three of those guys pan out, assuming all three leave.

Archived