Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would deal Burnes before Peralta. Peralta is basically A RH Hader, Burnes is Davies.

That's a really bad comparison for Burnes. Superior tools to Davies.

Burns far more Chase Anderson over Davies.... same style, stuff, stature, velocity, and etc. I find Davies a real bad comp. if you are comparing Davies, it needs to be a soft tossing control pitcher

This is supposed to be about trade rumors, so didn't mean to take this off track. But Davies being a soft tosser isn't accurate. He may not be Chapman out there, but he's not Moyer either. His FB sits 91-93, Burnes may be a tick above that.

As many people on the site keep making trade proposals including some Tribe prospects (especially Mejia & McKenzie), I think this info is relevant. Where the players are starting 2018 is all educated guess on my part.

Keith Law has 4 Indians in his recently released top 100 rankings.

7. Mejia (C, likely starts season in AAA Columbus where he has never played yet)

19. McKenzie (RHP, should start season in AA Akron)

80. Jones (3B, should start season in Midwest League - Lake County)

91. Bradley (1B, should start season in AAA Columbus)

Law says that Mejia is probably a 2 win player with his bat alone.

McKenzie appears to get a lot of swing and miss with average velocity because hitters simply can't see the ball coming out his hand. His CH is below average and will be a key going forward, particularly against LHH. He's probably a #4 SP right now, but still has huge projection.

Baseball America had only 2 Tribe prospects in its top 100 - Mejia at #20 & McKenzie at #33.

Yep, this is why I said I would expect the Indians to just keep Mejia where he is, but if they did make him available, they'd have every right to ask for Lewis Brinson.

Getting prospects in a deal to make it work is one thing, getting another team's very best prospects simply added to a deal just doesn't happen.

So we have to see what we lose I have to hope DS can still find a starter somewhere because yelich is not getting them over the top

Even the best case scenario of Yelich, Cain, and Archer. Which would be about the highest wishlist we could come up with for this year's team I still don't think they're favorites to win the division assuming Darvish is a Cub. And the Dodgers and Nats would still be favorites beyond the Cubs.

My vote is Brinson, Burnes, Harrison. If it's gotta hurt, that would hurt right?

I like the idea of Yelich as much as anyone, but my God - please NO on this package in return.

Really hoping that we aren't sending both Brinson and Burnes to the Fish in this deal. I'm OK with Brinson going, and I'd be fine if we threw in Ortiz and Dubon. But, losing B&B together in this deal would do more than just sting.

So we have to see what we lose I have to hope DS can still find a starter somewhere because yelich is not getting them over the top

To me, this trade makes much more sense if you think back the to web-o-trades suggestion. You could still deal Santana for that starter plus sing one of the reaming FA's. There are lots of possibilities here.

This seems to have all started with the Brewers making a legit offer for Darvish - that in turn drove other teams pursuing him to get into a bidding war so the team that actually signs him prices themselves out of the remaining free agent pitchers. Then, the Brewers shift to making a quality offer for Yelich with prospects - if they land him they get a great player in his prime to play CF or RF depending on how the roster takes shape over the next 4 seasons. Adding Yelich would then allow for a trade of Santana at what could be his peak value from the Brewers' perspective to an AL team that can use RH pop in either a corner OF spot or DH (which is where Santana belongs, IMO). The return for Santana should be a good young starter with a few years of team control remaining to help bolster the rotation - or a very good 2B in the same contractual mode. Finish it off with signing one of the remaining starting pitcher FAs, and you'd drastically improved the rotation even before Nelson returns, drastically improved the OF defense and exchanged a quality RH power bat despite all the strikeouts with a quality LH power bat who hits for a high average.

My vote is Brinson, Burnes, Harrison. If it's gotta hurt, that would hurt right?

I like the idea of Yelich as much as anyone, but my God - please NO on this package in return.

Really hoping that we aren't sending both Brinson and Burnes to the Fish in this deal. I'm OK with Brinson going, and I'd be fine if we threw in Ortiz and Dubon. But, losing B&B together in this deal would do more than just sting.

So Burnes is nearly untouchable, but Ortiz is a throw-in? Ortiz didn't have a great 2017, but that dude is still a big-time prospect.

To me, this trade makes much more sense if you think back the to web-o-trades suggestion. You could still deal Santana for that starter plus sing one of the reaming FA's. There are lots of possibilities here.

This seems to have all started with the Brewers making a legit offer for Darvish - that in turn drove other teams pursuing him to get into a bidding war so the team that actually signs him prices themselves out of the remaining free agent pitchers. Then, the Brewers shift to making a quality offer for Yelich with prospects - if they land him they get great player in his prime to play CF or RF depending on how the roster takes shape over the next 4 seasons. Adding Yelich would then allow for a trade of Santana at what could be his peak value from the Brewers' perspective to an AL team that can use RH pop in either a corner OF spot or DH (which is where Santana belongs, IMO). The return for Santana should be a good young starter with a few years of team control remaining to help bolster the rotation - or a very good 2B in the same contractual mode. Finish it off with signing one of the remaining starting pitcher FAs, and you'd drastically improved the rotation even before Nelson returns, drastically improved the OF defense and exchanged a quality RH power bat despite all the strikeouts with a quality LH power bat who hits for a high average.

Yeah so much this. I cant wait to watch a player who doesnt strike out, gets on base and plays above average D. I love Domingo but his strikeout rate is maddening. The lefthandedness of Yelich is a cherry on top.

Are you copy/pasting your own posts and posting them again? Lol

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Keep in mind there are still alot of prospects in the Brewer organization that found there way here prior to Stearns becoming GM. Oftentimes if a newer GM's got one of "his guys" a rung or two below a slightly more established prospect that wasn't his draft pick or acquisition, they'll be much more willing to deal them.

Brinson and Ortiz are unique, because they were acquired by Stearns in the Lucroy trade - but they weren't the first option Stearns wanted. The Indians' deal that included Mejia was.

If they move Santana and get a quality starter it make me feel better and maybe sign a guy like Lynn I will Again be happy

Seems really unrealistic that they would trade AND sign a pitcher. With Nelson on the way back and since we already signed Chacin, there’s only five spots to start.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think you all see the current roster as an 86 win team. That's not really the case. The team to end last season was better than an 86 win team and we've improved on that. You forget the beginning of the season with 2 crappy starters and a closer that got cut in June. The team we had playing down the stretch included a bunch of gassed/banged up players, but it was still better than an 86 win team. As much as I don't want to give up the prospects necessary to get Yelich, he'll significantly improve the team right away. CF was one of the positions we got the least amount of production out of, including down the stretch. It will immediately become one of our best. I don't like WAR, but I have to think we are gaining 3 or so WAR with this move.

If they move Santana and get a quality starter it make me feel better and maybe sign a guy like Lynn I will Again be happy

Seems really unrealistic that they would trade AND sign a pitcher. With Nelson on the way back and since we already signed Chacin, there’s only five spots to start.

For all the positive news on Jimmy we have no clue what too expect from him

I think you all see the current roster as an 86 win team. That's not really the case. The team to end last season was better than an 86 win team and we've improved on that. You forget the beginning of the season with 2 crappy starters and a closer that got cut in June. The team we had playing down the stretch included a bunch of gassed/banged up players, but it was still better than an 86 win team. As much as I don't want to give up the prospects necessary to get Yelich, he'll significantly improve the team right away. CF was one of the positions we got the least amount of production out of, including down the stretch. It will immediately become one of our best. I don't like WAR, but I have to think we are gaining 3 or so WAR with this move.

Nelson was worth 5 WAR for the period he played. He was one of the best pitchers in baseball and even with the optimism, we can’t be sure to count on him for anything.

Maybe Peralta/Guerra things won’t go wrong early but other bad things can also happen this year that we aren’t expecting.

. CF was a bad spot I concur but I am not sure we don't have enough in starters to make us a bettter team.

Maybe Peralta/Guerra things won’t go wrong early but other bad things can also happen this year that we aren’t expecting.

As they can with the Cubs as well.

And those things don't go wrong if we hoard prospects? There is always risk.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

CF was a bad spot I concur but I am not sure we don't have enough in starters to make us a bettter team.

They aren't trading for Yelich and then doing nothing else. They will get pitching.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Archived