Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the infatuation with shaking up the OF so much? Santana basically did great last year and you have him for years. Braun is set in left. Your top two prospects can split CF and are considered good defenders, while getting extra ABs when Braun sits and hits the DL. Seems like it should be the least of their worries to me.

Stearns sounds like he is really committed to improving the outfield defense. Trading Santana would likely do that.

What is the infatuation with shaking up the OF so much? Santana basically did great last year and you have him for years. Braun is set in left. Your top two prospects can split CF and are considered good defenders, while getting extra ABs when Braun sits and hits the DL. Seems like it should be the least of their worries to me.

It IS the least of their worries. But it's the only avenue we have to cost-effective starting pitching. Unless we ante-up.

So you have to pull of a trade for an OF to replace your OF, (who'll cost more than Santana) or pay Cain at age 31 to replace Santana, who will cost way more obviously. Plus pull of a trade for the allusive cost controlled P and cost us more prospects. Bit too many plates in the air imo and you're messing with the farm quite a bit. Or you could just sign a second tier P like Cobb and be done with it and have your whole farm in tact. Or just keep rolling with rebuild as planned, which is working just fine.

Gotta think that the brewers view Santana’s defense as a bigger problem than most of us do. Also, given the names we see them connected to—yelich, Cain, Ellsbury—perhaps they see a value in batting average in an era when hrs are easy to find

Ellsbury hasn't been good in years and Santana hit in the 280 with a 370 obp really can't expect too much more. Defense is his only issue. All the money these other guys cost could just be put towards pitching. Yelich's deal is so good that I see why you have to check on him but I strongly doubt you can pull off all the moves necessary for it work out.

Long term, 2019 or 20 I hope Santana can be the guy at 1B.

Gotta think that the brewers view Santana’s defense as a bigger problem than most of us do. Also, given the names we see them connected to—yelich, Cain, Ellsbury—perhaps they see a value in batting average in an era when hrs are easy to find

Ellsbury hasn't been good in years and Santana hit in the 280 with a 370 obp really can't expect too much more. Defense is his only issue. All the money these other guys cost could just be put towards pitching. Yelich's deal is so good that I see why you have to check on him but I strongly doubt you can pull off all the moves necessary for it work out.

Which makes a trade of Santana to the AL, where he can DH, all the more likely. See Davis, K.

Long term, 2019 or 20 I hope Santana can be the guy at 1B.

I agree with you about Ellsbury, I’m just trying to reason out what’s up

Posted this earlier, but may have been lost in the shuffle. Yelich is LH, that's also a big factor here.

Yes and no, I sort of agree with you. Then again, look at who they have, and who's on the way. All RH except Phillips, who is not a sure thing. So that's reason A to shake things up. Reason B is defense. Santana is a butcher out there. In a perfect world, they could move him to 1B but I'm guessing they thought of that long before I have, so I'm guessing they know he can't play there.

Can't wait until we get Brinson and Phillips some PT and they do well so we can trade them.

I think they are trying to create space for those guys, to some degree here. If they really want to improve defense, just play those guys.

Stearns is playing the small ball game to get us to 90 wins. IF he has a trade lined up that's decent for Santana this is a HUGE win for us. Picture getting Yelich for Brinson and one other top 10-ish prospect and then trading Santana for some pitching help (Salazar) along with perhaps a 2B with high upside (Kipnis).

I think we can assume that Stearns values guys who can play more than one position. Yelich gives us the ultimate platoon because he can play all 3 OF positions (as can Phillips and Broxton). If we have a solid deal to fill a rotation need this is a HUGE win-win for the Brewers without having to spend a lot of $$. We could then go out and sign a guy like Lynn.

How would a rotation like this sound:

Nelson

Salazar

Lynn

Anderson

Davies/Woodruff/etc

...and only costing us Brinson and maybe one other top 10-ish prospect (because we can consider Yelich a clear upgrade to Santana). While also filling a need at 2B in the mix here either from the Marlins or another team.

I'll be in the Molitor Lot by the Corn Hole with a Colt 45 and 2 Zig-Zags.

MLB just wrote brewers made proposal for yellich

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Stearns is playing the small ball game to get us to 90 wins. IF he has a trade lined up that's decent for Santana this is a HUGE win for us. Picture getting Yelich for Brinson and one other top 10-ish prospect and then trading Santana for some pitching help (Salazar) along with perhaps a 2B with high upside (Kipnis).

I think we can assume that Stearns values guys who can play more than one position. Yelich gives us the ultimate platoon because he can play all 3 OF positions (as can Phillips and Broxton). If we have a solid deal to fill a rotation need this is a HUGE win-win for the Brewers without having to spend a lot of $$. We could then go out and sign a guy like Lynn.

How would a rotation like this sound:

Nelson

Salazar

Lynn

Anderson

Davies/Woodruff/etc

...and only costing us Brinson and maybe one other top 10-ish prospect (because we can consider Yelich a clear upgrade to Santana). While also filling a need at 2B in the mix here either from the Marlins or another team.

If you can pull all that off, more power to you. Good luck.

Or you could simply just trade your prospects for pitching if you're so willing to trade prospects. Or just sign the pitching. All much more easily accomplished. If he's going big or nothing, I get it, why not try. But let's all be prepared for nothing to happen then. I have no problem with playing out the rebuild too. you have Woodruff, Burns, Ortiz all on the way up with Davies having control, Anderson signed, Nelson can likely get an extension easily done if you want. Hader could go either way. Instead you're likely going to have to deal these guys in all this stuff you're trying for, and giving up some OF prospects too. And a proven hitter in Santana. Like I said, lots of plates in the air and lots of risk.

It's odd to me that A/AB would lead to Yelich now in trade acquire. The idea of taking on a contract and prospect return and a Darvish signing to now the need of multiple top prospects to get Yelich. I mean, I guess if you went B and C are Yelich and Santana for Kipnis/Salazar? But it just is odd in that if A were Ellsbury where are the +3 CFs moving for? You'd assume for a SP? but who as Tampa doesn't need them. Now you'll be using Brinson most likely to get Yelich and a SP+ I'd assume.

Yelich doesn't seem like Plan A but more like Plan D after some other moves happened. This is frustrating to continue to be told rumors but then nothing happens. December, January, we're almost in to February!

One thought I had. If we trade for Yelich, and then have Brinson and Santana lined up in trades with the idea of giving RF to Phillips and bringing in a veteran 4th OF(or stick with Broxton there), that would leave us very left-handed. Maybe Stearns is ok with that, or maybe trade C is Thames+ for Abreu?

Craig Mish of SiriusXM reports that the Brewers have put together a trade offer for Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich.

There's a long list of teams in the mix for Yelich, but Mish hears that the Brewers have shown "strong interest" as they look to improve upon their surprise 2017 season. And with a strong farm system, they also have the sort of prospects required to get a deal done. Yelich's contract (four years and $43.25 million) makes him an attractive option for both small and large-market teams. Nothing appears to be imminent, but the Brewers could be a legitimate suitor.

Source: Craig Mish on TwitterJan 23 - 4:03 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

More belief it was Ellsbury for A. And now Yelich. This would tell me that an outfielder is going somewhere. Prolly Santana. If Yelich falls through. Then maybe Cain. Once a centerfielder is obtained. Santana or Brinson would be on their way. Brewers want to make sure they have their CF before than move to the next phase. All speculation on my part here.

I think Ellsbury was a doomed trade. The Yankees have been reported that they are not willing to part with Sheffield, Torres, and Adams. That leaves Frazier, Florial, Abreu, and Tate. I am going to go with the Yankees were only willing to part with Frazier and Abreu and wanted the Brewers to take on the majority of Ellsbury's contract. If the Brewers were going to take on the majority of Ellsbury I would have demanded someone like Sheffield over Abreu or Florial.

The CF makes sense and I think Brinson along with Santana are probably the ones to be traded. I would think the Marlins would have more interest in Brinson than Santana. This would still allow the Brewers to move Santana to the Indians and then sign Cain.

If I were Stearns I would go back to the Yankees and see if they would be willing instead to trade Gardner instead of Ellsbury. You could possibly do Guerra for Gardner which would allow the Yankees to sign a free agent this year like Darvish, Arrietta, Cobb, or Lynn.

HighHeat any insight on Yelich trade?

Insider "rumor" has it that Marlins are requesting final offers from other teams in regards to Yelich.

As in other teams “not including the Brewers”, or other teams “including the Brewers”?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

HighHeat any insight on Yelich trade?

Insider "rumor" has it that Marlins are requesting final offers from other teams in regards to Yelich.

As in other teams “not including the Brewers”, or other teams “including the Brewers”?

Non Brewer teams. ;)

Archived