Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2018/01/mlb_rumors_yankees_lose_another_potential_jacoby_e.html

Ellsbury wants a team with Spring Training in Arizona. I'd be interested to see if the Yankees make any more acquisitions this year and push the payroll higher. It might make them a bit more desparate to get rid of Ellsbury's contract and give up a couple nice young arms.

This seems like kind of a fantasy baseball deal, but I'm starting to come around. If we deal Santana, we will need an OF anyway and although the contract is horrible, he wouldn't be a bad 4th OF. If the package was rich enough in players coming back, I wouldn't have a problem if DS dealt for him.

If Santana were dealt, I would be comfortable with a Braun-Brinson-Phillips OF with Broxton as the backup. Lots of Ks there though. Ellsbury, provided he comes with a Betances for the bullpen or a Top 100 prospect, for a nothing prospect would be fine as well.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it's Cleveland, keep it simple. Santana for McKenzie. Done. Cleveland gets a guy who could rather easily hit .900+ in the AL, and have him for cheap for several years. They give up a potential future ace, but it's still just that- potential.

I would be good with this, but I think I would like a lottery ticket or two in there. I think the casual fan would be irate to hear we gave up a bat like Santana for one minor leaguer. Maybe McKenzie ++ for Santana and Stokes?

There's a lot we don't know about various trades in the works, but there's one thing we do know. Any trade Stearns makes or doesn't make will have zero to do with fan reaction.

Trade A has been nixed. The other club wanted the Brewers to eat more contract of the other team's player. Brewers then asked for a higher prospect. Other team said no. Trade has been put on hold but not abolished. Brewers turning to a different direction. Don't know if that means trade or free agency. That's all I know. Anything else is speculation.

Trade A has been nixed. The other club wanted the Brewers to eat more contract of the other team's player. Brewers then asked for a higher prospect. Other team said no. Trade has been put on hold but not abolished. Brewers turning to a different direction. Don't know if that means trade or free agency. That's all I know. Anything else is speculation.

This is the offseason of our discontent

Putting speculative pieces together, that would fit the narrative of a trade of Ellsbury coming here, with Albert Abreu coming here in the deal, and the Yankees asking us to take on nearly all his contract, us saying we need a better prospect than Abreu to do that. Just one theory.

Certainly seems like this was probably either centered around Ellsbury (as was rumored on Sun night) with the Yankees or around Kipnis with the Indians. Those would be the two possibilities that would make the most sense. In the Yankees scenario though, I'm wondering who we would be sending their way? Was that ever floated out there this week?

Damnit!!

Well let's go add Lynn or Cobb to the rotation, add Oh to the bullpen and Walker to the lineup then call it any offseason.

I'm content with this roster...

Rotation

Anderson

Lynn or Cobb

Davies

Chacin

Woodruff

Nelson to DL

Bullpen

Knebel

Hader

Oh

Logan

Barnes

Jeffress

Suter or Gallardo

Lineup

Walker

Thames

Braun

Shaw

Santana

Phillips

Pina

Arcia

Bench

Vogt

Villar

Sogard

Perez

Broxton

This 25 man roster can compete!

Certainly seems like this was probably either centered around Ellsbury (as was rumored on Sun night) with the Yankees or around Kipnis with the Indians. Those would be the two possibilities that would make the most sense. In the Yankees scenario though, I'm wondering who we would be sending their way? Was that ever floated out there this week?

If it were Ellsbury, that likely means trading Santana was one of the "next step" deals. I am not too upset about this. Ellsbury has been overrated nearly his whole career, due to playing in major media darling markets. He would have been a nice little player to have during his prime, but that ended several years ago. I'd rather have Cain if they are looking to acquire an OF. That way they would still be freed up to trade Santana if that is really what they want to do.

Who would we have been trading away? I don't see them having a need for Santana and I just don't see that as being enough value for Shaw...

Also I'm hearing the Brewers have sent a formal trade proposal for Yelich?

I'll be in the Molitor Lot by the Corn Hole with a Colt 45 and 2 Zig-Zags.

Who would we have been trading away? I don't see them having a need for Santana and I just don't see that as being enough value for Shaw...

Not THAT is a bigger deal! They would have to give up a nice package of prospects to get him, though. The Ellsbury deal would likely have been for a throw-away prospect ... someone like Derby at the most.

Not THAT is a bigger deal! They would have to give up a nice package of prospects to get him, though. The Ellsbury deal would likely have been for a throw-away prospect ... someone like Derby at the most.

OK, so I agree with Joey that if Ellsbury was the target then Santana was move B. This would hold that theory. Would Dubon, Ray, Woodruff and Peralta be enough?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Anyone think that the prospect(s) we would be getting for Ellsbury would be going to Miami for Yelich?

No. Ellsbury and Yelich are redundant to have in the same outfield. I would imagine the Brewers were interested in Ellsbury because the prospect cost was very low. Yelich would be a much, much higher prospect cost. I imagine Yelich is the next step had the Ellsbury trade been nixed, which it appears has happened.

OK, so I agree with Joey that if Ellsbury was the target then Santana was move B. This would hold that theory. Would Dubon, Ray, Woodruff and Peralta be enough?

I highly doubt Woodruff is a part of any deal, given the lack of young upside starters the Brewers have that are close to MLB-ready. Plus, the Marlins seem to be targeting higher upside youngsters, which really isn't Woodruff. Dubon is to a point, and Ray would be a "buy low" guy right now. Peralta probably fits the bill well.

So if Ellsbury and now Yelich rumors are true then maybe Santana to the Indians is actually Step B in the plan.

I think that is logical. Maybe Burns, I. Diaz, Peralta and Dubon for Yelich?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

And now it looks like we might know what they're pivoting too.

If new A is Yelich, I'm assuming we won't be trading back Santana. Think Marlins would accept an offer without Brinson? Phillips/Diaz/Woodruff?

A trade like that takes us out of the market for Cain, would give us the opportunity to go sign Arrieta or Cobb and trade Santana for another pitcher too.

Still room for this chain of trades to happen.

Archived