Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

A trade with Cleveland would have to include Mejia or McKenzie.

You have only one more year of Salazar at a modest 5 mil. Who is coming off a so/so injured year. It makes no sense from the Brewer's perspective to give up much for a 1 year rental when your still rebuilding.

Kipnis is negative value for the Indians right now.He is north of 30. As I said before the Indians are extremely lefty heavy position player wise. Kipnis is a lefty. This would allow Cleveland to get another righty in their lineup at 2nd. Cleveland is also small market and Kipnis salary at $13 mil this year plus 14 mil next year is huge hindrance for Cleveland. And may cripple their chance of picking up a July 31st acquisition because of his salary. Also coming off an injured year and less than stellar production. If anything, Kipnis is more of a buy a good prospect for eating Kipnis contract type acquisition.

I'm sorry but both players do not equal to one of Domingo Santana. Mejia would be the choice to complete the deal. I would believe that the Indians would want to keep McKenzie at all costs as he would be a great trade chip to add that nice above average starter at the trade deadline. I don't believe Mejia would have the value that McKenzie does come July 31st.

Santana's righty bat and superior health history have to be high on Cleveland's target list. Edwin Encarnicion has also been highly injury prone the last few years (Back Spasms)(And one of the few righty's). EE goes down again and you can literally spot start Lefty's as well as schedule Lefty's against Cleveland and it's going to come back and bite cleveland something fierce. And Cleveland doesn't have the $ to bring in JD Martinez even without Kipnis contract. Santana has to be very enticing right now to Cleveland.

Long story short: Salazar, Kipnis and Mejia = Domingo Santana and free's up $ for Cleveland to pick up a trade deadline starter.

Can't get rid of Kipnis. Then Cleveland may have an injury risk at second and may not be able to afford that Verlander like the Astro's did last year. And be way too Lefty heavy in the lineup.

So Salazar, Kipnis and Mejia for Santana and a player like Grisham is very reasonable. Especially, because Brantley has been injury prone and up there in age for the Indians as well. Actually, Grisham seems to be a poor mans Michael Brantley.

My 2 cents.

If we are focused on getting Mejia along with Kipnis and Salazar, why not add one of our highly touted prospects not named Burnes or Brinson. What about selling high on Monte? I would absolutely add him if it got us over the hump for Mejia. OF will continue to be stacked and our catcher position is filled for the near future.

I would agree.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was not aware of that. Sporttrac dod not mention that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks for all your insight so far, HH19. Please keep it coming. I trust what you've been saying about a 'significant' trade with an AL team. Maybe the trade does include Machado to the Indians which would possibly mean Meija to the Crew, maybe its a trade with the White Sox, maybe none of the above.... but it's as exciting as a time gets to be a Brewers fan.

The Ellsbury rumors seems to be based on two things only: a tweet by a guy with the handle 'BarStoolSports' along with the fact the original Crasnik tweet about a Brewers trade made mention of an OF being discussed. Couple that with the massive # of Yankees fans on Twitter it just blew up everywhere.

I haven't been this excited about a team since 2012. I love the discussion we have going on here.

I'll be in the Molitor Lot by the Corn Hole with a Colt 45 and 2 Zig-Zags.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I was not aware of that. Sporttrac dod not mention that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks for all your insight so far, HH19. Please keep it coming. I trust what you've been saying about a 'significant' trade with an AL team. Maybe the trade does include Machado to the Indians which would possibly mean Meija to the Crew, maybe its a trade with the White Sox, maybe none of the above.... but it's as exciting as a time gets to be a Brewers fan.

The Ellsbury rumors seems to be based on two things only: a tweet by a guy with the handle 'BarStoolSports' along with the fact the original Crasnik tweet about a Brewers trade made mention of an OF being discussed. Couple that with the massive # of Yankees fans on Twitter it just blew up everywhere.

I haven't been this excited about a team since 2012. I love the discussion we have going on here.

Thanks for joining and for your contributions so far.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The idea of Cleveland moving Kipnis has been kicked around Cleveland chat rooms all off season.

Assuming Kipnis goes, JRam is the easy move to 2b. As someone else pointed out it leaves a question around 3b.

For the long winning streak the Tribe had last season, JRam was at 2B & Yandy Diaz was at 3rd. Later in each game Yandy would come out & Giovanny Urshela would come in and give very good D. During the 1st 20 games of the streak, Gio was the only player to play in every one of those games.

In general Urshela is a D/ glove guy first. Been that way for years. Sadly he got caught up in the moment & made a few mental & fielding blunders in the ALDS that helped to sink the post-season run. Diaz is a bat first, D is coming around. There was a report on MLB Network (think it was MLB Now) a few week ago listing Yandy as a player likely to breakout/ take a major step forward and have increased power numbers. His hard hit ball rate is near the top of the charts. Together they (Yandy & Gio) make for an interesting & generally effective platoon

At this point the Tribe has Urshela (out of options), Erik Gonzalez (out of options), Rob Refsnyder (out of options), Yandy Diaz (has 2 options remaining), & Eric Stamets (3 options) as possibilities for 3B or utility INF should JRam be at 2B & Kipnis be gone. On top of that they also have YC Chang & Willi Castro getting very close to the majors (both already on the 40 man).

The Tribe DOES NOT NEED to acquire a Villar/ HPerez in a trade package.

If we are focused on getting Mejia along with Kipnis and Salazar, why not add one of our highly touted prospects not named Burnes or Brinson. What about selling high on Monte? I would absolutely add him if it got us over the hump for Mejia. OF will continue to be stacked and our catcher position is filled for the near future.

I would agree.

If we did, that would have to include a 3rd team as HH19 originally suggested as a theory. Roping the Orioles in with Machado and then the O's getting back a Burnes or Brinson would likely be the only way trading Meija makes sense for the Indians. Indians wouldn't trade Meija unless they think they are getting the guy that is taking them over that hump and I don't see how Santana would be that guy. Machado would be. Shaw might be if another smaller piece is added in...

I'll be in the Molitor Lot by the Corn Hole with a Colt 45 and 2 Zig-Zags.

If we really are looking at Meija, would the Indians want Vogt to be in the mix? Looking at the Indians catching depth chart... it isn't good.

Brewers Get:

Danny Salazar

Jason Kipnis

Francisco Meija

Indians Get:

Domingo Santana

Stephen Vogt

Marcos Diplan

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If Mejia winds up with the Brewers somehow, I'd be fine with the Brewers parting with practically any of their touted prospects, perhaps more than one. His bat at the catching position, and looking like he can actually stick at C once he reaches the majors, is incredibly valuable - he'd instantly be Milwaukee's top prospect and it isn't really close. I was pumped he was heading to Milwaukee in the potential Lucroy deal that he vetoed.

I think the Brewer offer to Darvish prompts his market to get rolling - if the Cubs wind up with him it stinks, but it takes away a potential suitor for all the other FA starters (Arrieta, Cobb, Lynn, et al). I could see the Brewers winding up signing one of those arms to a deal shorter than 5 years, AND swinging a series of trades involving Santana and prospects to pick up another starter (Archer/Salazar), 2B (Kipnis), and prospects.

If we really are looking at Meija, would the Indians want Vogt to be in the mix? Looking at the Indians catching depth chart... it isn't good.

Brewers Get:

Danny Salazar

Jason Kipnis

Francisco Meija

Indians Get:

Domingo Santana

Stephen Vogt

Marcos Diplan

Now why would the Tribe want a guy like Vogt?? They look for D first from the Catching position and have 2 very good ones in Gomes & Perez. Both are under multiple year contracts.

If they wanted more offense, they could keep Mejia as he is hitting 1st, average D at this point.

I hope the Cubs go 5/125 for Darvish. That would be great for us IMHO.

At this point, I personally think it's better for the Brewers that the Cubs strike out and just can't sign guys rather than sign a few huge contracts that potentially turn into busts.

Why, you ask? Their day of reckoning is coming in 2021 regardless. Bryant, Rizzo will be free agents after that season and Hendricks, Quintana, Contreras, Baez, etc. are all going to be getting expensive then and/or will be free agents shortly after as well.

It's true that maybe signing a dumb Darvish contract hurts them in 2020 or 2021 if they're trying to sign a reliever or another starting pitcher, but I don't think it does that much. They've already pushed their chips to the table for the next 3-5 years. They've got a weak farm system that I'm sure they'll hope to replenish by then, but even if Darvish's contract is a relative bust, I don't think it matters. They will have more to spend to try to push their final chips on the table in 2020 even if Darvish is a bust. Maybe it will all spectacularly explode in 2021, but that day would be coming anyways, regardless of Darvish's contract.

IMO, it's much better if the Cubs just whiff on free agents rather than sign a bust contract.

If Mejia winds up with the Brewers somehow, I'd be fine with the Brewers parting with practically any of their touted prospects, perhaps more than one. His bat at the catching position, and looking like he can actually stick at C once he reaches the majors, is incredibly valuable - he'd instantly be Milwaukee's top prospect and it isn't really close. I was pumped he was heading to Milwaukee in the potential Lucroy deal that he vetoed.

I think the Brewer offer to Darvish prompts his market to get rolling - if the Cubs wind up with him it stinks, but it takes away a potential suitor for all the other FA starters (Arrieta, Cobb, Lynn, et al). I could see the Brewers winding up signing one of those arms to a deal shorter than 5 years, AND swinging a series of trades involving Santana and prospects to pick up another starter (Archer/Salazar), 2B (Kipnis), and prospects.

I think it is debatable whether Mejia or Brinson is a better prospect. IMO Brinson has a greater range of possible outcomes than Mejia. Between the two, I think Brinson has the best chance to be a "bust", but also has a crazy high All Star type ceiling for us to dream on. I think Mejia is very good, and I would bet on him to become a very solid major league player. If he remains at catcher he will offer a ton of offensive value relative to the position. Even with an elite throwing arm, there is still a chance Mejia doesn't stick at catcher due to some reported defensive deficiencies. A move to third base would obviously be a blow to his perceived overall value.

I would guess that if Brewers acquired him they would believe in his ability to stick at catcher, but the flip side of that assertion is it may signal that the Indians didn't believe in him becoming their future backstop.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Salazar is Arb eligible in 2019 and not a Free Agent until 2021. We would have a solid #2 SP for 4 years of control and if Kipnis returns to 2016 form, he's a major upgrade at 2B but that's the risk we take.

Santana for Salazar, Meija and Kipnis would never float with the Indians. That's a massive haul for a guy who plays questionable defense in RF and not everyone is sold on. They would have to be getting someone else back via a 3rd team.

It's there, you just have to make sure you're in the Contracts tab and not the Cash Earnings tab (which googling sometimes brings up instead and trips me up at times too): http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/cleveland-indians/danny-salazar-11615/

That said, just want to jump on the bandwagon and again thank you for all the insider information you've provided. It's appreciated and been a fun couple days because of it!!

It would be cool if HH19 could say its not Cleveland so we could move on to a different team LOL

My sources say it's not Cleveland.

Does this work?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewers Get:

Danny Salazar

Jason Kipnis

Francisco Meija

Indians Get:

Domingo Santana

Stephen Vogt

Marcos Diplan

Nice try but Vogt and Diplan aren't doing anything to get us Meija or anyone else of any value. I'm not sure anyone other than Brinson or Burnes gets us Meija.

If it's Cleveland, keep it simple. Santana for McKenzie. Done. Cleveland gets a guy who could rather easily hit .900+ in the AL, and have him for cheap for several years. They give up a potential future ace, but it's still just that- potential.

I completely agree with you on this. I'd be extremely happy with a Santana for McKenzie deal. Gets an ace upside pitcher in the organization while creating playing time for Phillips and Brinson.

If it's Cleveland, keep it simple. Santana for McKenzie. Done. Cleveland gets a guy who could rather easily hit .900+ in the AL, and have him for cheap for several years. They give up a potential future ace, but it's still just that- potential.

I would be good with this, but I think I would like a lottery ticket or two in there. I think the casual fan would be irate to hear we gave up a bat like Santana for one minor leaguer. Maybe McKenzie ++ for Santana and Stokes?

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

It would be cool if HH19 could say its not Cleveland so we could move on to a different team LOL

Does this work?

I apologize in advance, but since I don't know who has good sources (outside of HH19 of course) and who doesn't - can I ask how reliable your sources are? Do you really know that Cleveland isn't the team, or are you just being facetious?

Many of your are creative and well versed. Seems ya'll may have run your course on Cleveland scenarios. Archer from TB seems like another cost and years controlled guy that would make it worth giving up all the control on Santana. Ideas on what could make sense from both sides there?

Does this work?

I apologize in advance, but since I don't know who has good sources (outside of HH19 of course) and who doesn't - can I ask how reliable your sources are? Do you really know that Cleveland isn't the team, or are you just being facetious?

Oh, no need to apologize. I was being facetious. Just trying to move us along in figuring out who this trade might be for.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2018/01/mlb_rumors_yankees_lose_another_potential_jacoby_e.html

Ellsbury wants a team with Spring Training in Arizona. I'd be interested to see if the Yankees make any more acquisitions this year and push the payroll higher. It might make them a bit more desparate to get rid of Ellsbury's contract and give up a couple nice young arms.

This seems like kind of a fantasy baseball deal, but I'm starting to come around. If we deal Santana, we will need an OF anyway and although the contract is horrible, he wouldn't be a bad 4th OF. If the package was rich enough in players coming back, I wouldn't have a problem if DS dealt for him.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Archived