Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

pogo, you may be making an incorrect assumption in your post- the guy could be a 'take our crap and we'll give you a better deal'-type, and may not really be acquired to fill a need.

Oh, all of those guys are the crap. I'm hoping they all come with something really good. I'm actually hoping the brewers take Shields and a couple really awesome prospects from the White Sox.

So let's play that out if having fun is the goal. The clear implication here is that the Brewers are working on a deal that brings back a bad salary and maybe a couple of good prospects. How does that lead to the next trade?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Overpaid, but not terrible and fill a position the Brewers could use sorta in the AL:

Jason Kipnis

Russell Martin

Jordan Zim

Jacoby Ellsbury

Dustin Pedroia

Hanley Ramirez

Rick Porcello

Troy Tulo

James Shields

Now, not all of these teams need an Outfielder. So, if I had to guess, i'd say the Brewers are taking one of Kipnis, as has been guessed already, Martin, or James Shields.

I think Ellsbury would be legit too.

*Assuming "need" is not the primary motivating factor.

There's a few more than just those guys. Donaldson, Beltre, Gardner, come to mind as well.

pogo, you may be making an incorrect assumption in your post- the guy could be a 'take our crap and we'll give you a better deal'-type, and may not really be acquired to fill a need.

Oh, all of those guys are the crap. I'm hoping they all come with something really good. I'm actually hoping the brewers take Shields and a couple really awesome prospects from the White Sox.

So let's play that out if having fun is the goal. The clear implication here is that the Brewers are working on a deal that brings back a bad salary and maybe a couple of good prospects. How does that lead to the next trade?

Could also be a bad contract and a good MLB player as well.

HighHeat gave us an example yesterday with Santana essentially bringing back Kipnis and Salazar (as well as Mejia which would probably be the greatest trade ever)

I'd love to get something like Kopech and Tim Anderson from the Whitesox, so if I had to take some of Shields contract to do it, i'd think about it.

Crasnick's original tweet:

Hearing some buzz that the #Brewers are getting close to a trade. No more details at present, but they’ve been discussing outfielders with multiple clubs.

Crasnick's tweet today:

I had indications from a couple of places that something might be happening, but #Brewers are juggling a lot of scenarios. They've been in on Yu Darvish and Lorenzo Cain as well, and I know they've been working hard on trade possibilities. Sorry if I got people's hopes up. :(

... For anyone thinking Crasnick said the Brewers aren't up to something now, note the wording of each tweet. He never said a trade was definitely on or, later, definitely off. The second tweet really didn't recant anything except for the "getting close" part.

Overpaid, but not terrible and fill a position the Brewers could use sorta in the AL:

Jason Kipnis

Russell Martin

Jordan Zim

Jacoby Ellsbury

Dustin Pedroia

Hanley Ramirez

Rick Porcello

Troy Tulo

James Shields

Now, not all of these teams need an Outfielder. So, if I had to guess, i'd say the Brewers are taking one of Kipnis, as has been guessed already, Martin, or James Shields.

There's a few more than just those guys. Donaldson, Beltre, Gardner, come to mind as well.

Agreed. What I'm trying to do is get to the next step. You were very clear that this was a "big" trade. I'm assuming that if the Brewers are taking back a bad contract, the only way this gets to be a big trade is if someone big is moving from Milwaukee.

If Santana is dealt, Cain is the next step probably.

Jason Kipnis

Russell Martin

Jordan Zim

Jacoby Ellsbury

Dustin Pedroia

Hanley Ramirez

Rick Porcello

Troy Tulo

James Shields

I've seen the Cards listed as a possible suitor for Donaldson all Winter, but is he really available? would the Brewers just shift Shaw to 1b and play Thames part time in the OF?

Good. So the Brewers bring back and Ellsbury or a Shields. Does that qualify as a big trade? I still think something has to be going the other way that makes an impact. Shaw and Santana make the most sense. So, say Shaw and whatever go to CHW and Shields, Kopech and Anderson come back. Does that qualify as big or are those pieces moved for something else? Off the top of my head I'm not sure how close to MLB Kopech and Anderson are so I'm not sure if that is a win now move.

We are not getting Kopech and Anderson for Santana and taking $23mil off their hands. Fun dream, but I don’t see why the Sox would dump two of their premium pieces for the future like that for one guy who isn’t a difference maker bat. Santana is good, but not All Star starter good.

Using surplus value that trade could be close, but I don’t see it for the White Sox.

Good. So the Brewers bring back and Ellsbury or a Shields. Does that qualify as a big trade? I still think something has to be going the other way that makes an impact. Shaw and Santana make the most sense. So, say Shaw and whatever go to CHW and Shields, Kopech and Anderson come back. Does that qualify as big or are those pieces moved for something else? Off the top of my head I'm not sure how close to MLB Kopech and Anderson are so I'm not sure if that is a win now move.

If we’re taking on those kinds of players, the prospect return would be pretty huge. Might not be Zack Greinke levels of excitement but it would get me pretty excited about the next 5 years. And we still may spend on 2018.

I think this has been known for awhile now or at least since the Cain rumors to the Brewers have come up. This is a very logical move for the Brewers. Depending on the return for Santana the next option would have been Arrietta or Darvish but it looks like Darvish is going to the Twins.

Another scenario that would clear some space for the Yankees to sign Darvish would be moving Gardner as he is owed $11m this year and $12.5m next year with a buyout of $2m. His salary would also increase to $12m this year if he is traded in the form of a bonus of $1m. But that only brings the Yankees down to about $170m which is close for the Yankees to sign Darvish and also to be able to sign someone next year assuming the Yankees are going to stay below the cap next year which I don't believe they will do.

The Yankees trading Gardner makes a little bit more sense than Jacoby as Gardner still has some value and wouldn't cost a big time prospect for a team to take on his salary.

Should be noted the Giants don’t seem to be in the market for Lorenzo Cain anymore...so his price probably isn’t not trending up at this stage. Should we trade an OFer that could be a real possibility.

The Giants were never in on Cain. The Giants didn't want to give up their draft pick this year and thus they were out on all free agents who could cost a draft pick. They are also trying to stay under the luxury tax.

Brett Gardner is a lot like Cain with the bat and would cost less...costs much less than Ellsbury. Can he play Center still? Probably doesn't matter since he'd be taking over for Domingo, or in a time share with Lewis and Maverick.

So where is the pitching. Say Santana goes to Cleveland. Is Salazar really the answer?

If you have one of Arrieta/Lynn/Cobb/Darvish to go along with Salazar/Anderson/Nelson/Davies/Woodruff that seems like a very good pitching staff which allows you to package Woodruff with others for an impact bat like Jose Abreu or Yelich

Some detective work based on HighHeat's clues.

Below is a (possibly incomplete) list of players on AL clubs with no-trade clauses potentially covering the Brewers, which could be the "contractual issue" delaying the trade.

Giancarlo Stanton

Masahiro Tanaka

Jacoby Ellsbury

Aroldis Chapman

CC Sabathia

Chris Davis

Adam Jones [FA]

Mark Trumbo?

Darren O’Day

Hanley Ramirez?

Rick Porcello?

Dustin Pedroia

Rusney Castillo

Troy Tulowitzki

Miguel Cabrera

Jordan Zimmermann

Victor Martinez

Joe Mauer [FA]

Phil Hughes?

Justin Verlander

Brian McCann [FA]

Mike Trout

Albert Pujols

Justin Upton

Ian Kinsler [FA]

Felix Hernandez

Robinson Cano

Mike Leake

Nelson Cruz? [FA]

Jean Segura

Hisashi Iwakuma

Cole Hamels? [FA]

Shin-Soo Choo?

Adrian Beltre?

Elvis Andrus?

Mike Minor?

I've crossed out the names that seem totally unrealistic (including players who just signed deals and likely aren't on the trading block). [FA] means the player is a free agent after 2018, which in my mind makes it less likely they are a target.

Ellsbury, Trumbo, and Castillo would likely waive their no-trade clauses because they have better shots at a starting job in Milwaukee, especially if Santana is on the movie.

Zimmermann would probably be perfectly happy to get out of Detroit (and back home to Wisconsin no less), but Detroit would have to eat a lot of money for him to be the player.

Andrus makes the most sense in terms of upgrading the Brewers, but would he want to leave Texas and would Texas want to trade him?

Segura would intrigue me on this list.

Yes, there is the history, but he's had two good years (one inflated by Arizona).

Mariners get:

OF Lewis Brinson

1B Jesus Aguilar

Brewers get:

2B Jean Segura

LHP James Pazos

LHP JP Sears

RHP Robert Dugger

OF Anthony Jiminez

C Joe DeCarlo

Brewers take on all of Segura's salary, and it becomes two deals:

1. Brinson for Segura and Pazos. Seattle gets $14 million a year in salary relief, plus a five-took prospect. Brewers get an upgrade at second, and help for the pen (Pazos is a poor man's Hader).

2. Aguilar for four lottery tickets: LHP JP Sears (who could be a future Hader-type reliever), RHP Robert Dugger (who has put up some good numbers in 2017 as a 21-year-old), OF Anthony Jiminez (hits for average, has speed, and some pop), and C Joe DeCarlo (an OBP/power bat combo).

Then sign Lucroy to be the #1 catcher to catch 95 to 100 games. Let Pina catch 60 to 70. Lucroy can also handle first base against tough lefties.

Brett Gardner is a lot like Cain with the bat and would cost less...costs much less than Ellsbury. Can he play Center still? Probably doesn't matter since he'd be taking over for Domingo, or in a time share with Lewis and Maverick.

In a pinch I think Gardner could play CF. I would actually prefer Phillips in RF over Gardner as Phillips has a better arm. You could platoon Gardner and Brinson or Brinson and Phillips. Gardner could also give Braun days off in LF when needed.

Thinking this over Gardner actually makes some sens for the Brewers for this year and next year and while the prospect coming back for Gardner wouldn't be as big from the Yankees I would actually prefer this trade over a better prospect(s) and Ellsbury. Gardner just fits better with the Brewers and you can actually play him and count on him to provide some value. I wouldn't call this the option A but this does improve the Brewers this year and beyond depending on the prospect coming back and who the Brewers have to give up in return.

Maybe something like this for Gardner.

Yankees get Broxton

Brewers get Gardner and Dillon Tate

This clears about $10m in payroll for the Yankees to go out and sign Darvish. This also allows the Brewers to trade Santana for pitching and possibly sign another free agent.

I think this has been known for awhile now or at least since the Cain rumors to the Brewers have come up. This is a very logical move for the Brewers. Depending on the return for Santana the next option would have been Arrietta or Darvish but it looks like Darvish is going to the Twins.

Another scenario that would clear some space for the Yankees to sign Darvish would be moving Gardner as he is owed $11m this year and $12.5m next year with a buyout of $2m. His salary would also increase to $12m this year if he is traded in the form of a bonus of $1m. But that only brings the Yankees down to about $170m which is close for the Yankees to sign Darvish and also to be able to sign someone next year assuming the Yankees are going to stay below the cap next year which I don't believe they will do.

The Yankees trading Gardner makes a little bit more sense than Jacoby as Gardner still has some value and wouldn't cost a big time prospect for a team to take on his salary.

When I looked at BRefs Yankees contract, I recall seeing them at 160mil for this year. They had Stanton in it who I know is new, so who are they missing?

All of HighHeat's A leads to B, C to D R to Z or however this alphabet soup of ideas, began in November? I mean I get that there's talks and side deals hashed out, but from November seems too long a holding pattern among the other Teams and GMs. But Really I think it's that the Alphabet in HH's idea went to an R and now it seems near 20 pre-arranged scenarios are played out. When most likely Im thinking its 5 or 6. I mean with so many scenarios being possible its Stearns Fault on this offseason being slow then!

Can we just hit the pause button on this thread until some credible new info hits? I've been trying to catch up on this and I swear I read on about page 17 of this thread that we are somehow taking on Bonilla's deferred money, Kevin millar, and two bullpen carts to swing a 7 way trade that ropes the Blackhawks and badgers into the equation to keep the warriors under the luxury tax....I guess I'm all for it as long as we keep Hader in the pen/er, rotation!

I think it's great Stearns has a bunch of options lined up depending on how dominos start falling....however it's a dangerous game of cat and mouse because by no means are the brewers ever considered to be driving the hot stove bus across all of mlb. You can try to get too cute and wind up getting burned if the wrong thing goes sideways or some other team swoops in and over pays in fa or trade value for a key piece you need to execute a grand offseason scheme worthy of book deals and movies.

In a pinch I think Gardner could play CF. I would actually prefer Phillips in RF over Gardner as Phillips has a better arm. You could platoon Gardner and Brinson or Brinson and Phillips. Gardner could also give Braun days off in LF when needed.

Thinking this over Gardner actually makes some sens for the Brewers for this year and next year and while the prospect coming back for Gardner wouldn't be as big from the Yankees I would actually prefer this trade over a better prospect(s) and Ellsbury. Gardner just fits better with the Brewers and you can actually play him and count on him to provide some value. I wouldn't call this the option A but this does improve the Brewers this year and beyond depending on the prospect coming back and who the Brewers have to give up in return.

Maybe something like this for Gardner.

Yankees get Broxton

Brewers get Gardner and Dillon Tate

This clears about $10m in payroll for the Yankees to go out and sign Darvish. This also allows the Brewers to trade Santana for pitching and possibly sign another free agent.

I'd personally rather go for the bigger prospect grab and get Ellsbury instead of Gardner and another top Yankee prospect (Abreu has been mentioned elsewhere). I think the drop off in production from Ellsbury to Gardner is not so big compared to the much bigger prospects we would get (even if the Yankees throw in money on the deal).

You have Ellsbury as the 4th OF behind Braun, Brinson and Phillips (with Santana traded elsewhere). Keep Perez as the 5th OF and sign a AAAA OF to a minor league deal in case one of Brinson/Phillips flops and Ellsbury can't be used for more than a start or two a week.

Use Santana for either pitching (Salazar) or stud prospect (Meija) and I'd be happy with this turn of events.

Can we just hit the pause button on this thread until some credible new info hits? I've been trying to catch up on this and I swear I read on about page 17 of this thread that we are somehow taking on Bonilla's deferred money, Kevin millar, and two bullpen carts to swing a 7 way trade that ropes the Blackhawks and badgers into the equation to keep the warriors under the luxury tax....I guess I'm all for it as long as we keep Hader in the pen/er, rotation!

I think it's great Stearns has a bunch of options lined up depending on how dominos start falling....however it's a dangerous game of cat and mouse because by no means are the brewers ever considered to be driving the hot stove bus across all of mlb. You can try to get too cute and wind up getting burned if the wrong thing goes sideways or some other team swoops in and over pays in fa or trade value for a key piece you need to execute a grand offseason scheme worthy of book deals and movies.

You're missing Jason Kidd becoming the new radio announcer in there as part of the mobes

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Here's the possible scenarios I am dreaming up:

Brewers Trade Travis Shaw for Jacoby Ellsbury, Dellin Betances, either Justus Sheffield or Gleybor Torres.

Then, Brewers turn to the Blue Jays and offer whichever the Blue Jays desired between Sheffied or Torres (this is where setting up a hypothetical with another team beforehand comes into play) and throw in either Brett Phillips or Monte Harrison along with Luis Ortiz for Josh Donaldson and Marcus Stroman.

If that deal falls through, plan B is to sign Mike Moustakas.

Now, since the Brewers are rolling and getting somewhere, the Brewers trade Domingo Santana and another just outside a top 100 prospect to the Indians for Salazar and Mejia.

If this trade is accepted, then the Brewers sign Eduardo Nunez for Second Base.

If that trade doesn't go through, then the Brewers Trade Santana to the Royals for Whit Merrifield and Danny Duffy.

In the Brewers dream Scenario they would have traded Shaw and Santana along with 2 top prospect of theirs and a couple other prospects for Josh Donaldson, Dellin Betances, Marcus Stroman, and Danny Salazar along with getting Jacoby Ellsbury to platoon with Lewis Brinson/Keon Broxton and adding Eduardo Nunez through free agency.

The Brewers Starting 8 would be:

C:Manny Pina

1B:Eric Thames

2B:Eduardo Nunez

3B:Josh Donaldson

SS:Orlando Arcia

LF:Ryan Braun

CF:Keon Broxton

RF:Lewis Brinson

Bench:

C:Francisco Mejia (gradually starting)

IF:Hernan Perez, Jesus Aguilar, Jonathan Villar

OF:Jacoby Ellsbury

SP:Danny Salazar

Marcus Stroman

Chase Anderson

Zach Davies

Jhoulys Chacin

RP:Corey Knebel (closer)

Dellin Betances (setup)

Josh Hader (alternate setup with Betances dependent on situation)

Boone Logan (loogy)

Jacob Barnes

Oliver Drake?

Junior Guerra/Yovani Gallardo (long relief)

Archived