Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

I dont know about Jake, but the offer to Yu has been confirmed by Rosenthal and others I thought

Source? The only thing I've seen is a report out of Japan that was repeated by others. Which probably means it was put out by team Darvish to drive up his price and not by the Brewers. One can claim that Hardricout is doubling down on an old quote from Stearns but that old quote is more solid than anything I have seen on Darvish getting an offer from the Brewers.

LINK

@Ken_Rosenthal: Source confirms: #Brewers have made offer to Darvish. First reported: Yahoo Japan.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont know about Jake, but the offer to Yu has been confirmed by Rosenthal and others I thought

Source? The only thing I've seen is a report out of Japan that was repeated by others. Which probably means it was put out by team Darvish to drive up his price and not by the Brewers. One can claim that Hardricout is doubling down on an old quote from Stearns but that old quote is more solid than anything I have seen on Darvish getting an offer from the Brewers.

Rosenthal's about as pro as you get and I don't believe he'd say confirmed if he wasn't sure that his source was correct before tweeting this.

Rosenthal's about as pro as you get and I don't believe he'd say confirmed if he wasn't sure that his source was correct before tweeting this.

All of these guys are trying to be as pro as it gets. But they get fed false information all the time. Heck, Crasnick walked his back after having two sources yesterday.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

23 pages and counting of a build up and so far nothing....

A few things when it comes to a trade

1. I think one will eventually happen, but Stearns isn't working the phones with an agenda of satisfying people on message boards desire to see something happen ASAP.

2. Odds are if/when a trade happens, it will involve a scenario not mentioned previously on message boards because real GM's know better than to leak out serious conversations between each other. It's more rare than common that a real trade happens between two teams where rumors of the players involved had previously been leaked or rumored about.

Yeah, but this whole thread is based on a report that a trade is close. Agree with what you’re saying, but as an impatient fan, I’d like something fun to talk about. Obviously not a huge deal in the end, but our impatient brains are being let down after reports of an imminent trade.

Not Stearns’ fault. Just a disappointment for some short-term fun.

Doesn't mean they only setup potential trades with teams specific to this rumor though. I'm sure there could have been many unrelated "If this happens first, we'll be interested in making this happen. We'll see you again if it happens!" type deals negotiated.

I was imagining all of the tangled web being more along the lines of Stearns saying, "If I can shore up the rotation, then I'll go all in and trade one or more of Santana/Shaw/Brinson/Top 10 prospects. If not, we're going to be more conservative with in-house development for this offseason."

Which makes sense in a more methodical sense. What doesn't make sense is lining up trades since November to that end. That suggests a much more deliberate approach.

I think you're still just viewing this too linearly. Definitely agree with JCREW that if move A happens, move B may be more aggressive, but we've also heard so many scenarios this offseason in which DS is going after a FA (like Cain) in order to free up an extra outfielder for a trade where it doesn't make sense to do one without the other. He's spent the last few months talking with teams and seeing what deals work on a talent level for each club and depending on how things turn out, he may revisit some of those trades. If HH's source is correct, this seems like a pre-cursor deal that makes some of his previously discussed deals make sense to pursue if it comes to fruition. I don't know how "locked in" the other teams are in making those deals for sure when DS is ready to make them, but I assume he's been in contact with the other GMs enough to feel strongly that he can complete those deals still if he can get this first one out of the way first.

Regardless, not sure why you're getting caught up on it. Maybe it's a protection against being let down? This is what's fun about the baseball offseason, it's exciting to hear rumors and predict and over analyze how your team can change and improve (hopefully) before Opening Day!

I think some of you guys are just completely missing out on the point of this message board: fun. If you are looking for actual news, this probably isn't the best spot. For those of you that like endless chatter about possible trades and whatnot, this is great. For those of you that are annoyed that none of us are actually able to predict the real moves, I think you are in the wrong spot.

Some detective work based on HighHeat's clues.

Below is a (possibly incomplete) list of players on AL clubs with no-trade clauses potentially covering the Brewers, which could be the "contractual issue" delaying the trade.

Giancarlo Stanton

Masahiro Tanaka

Jacoby Ellsbury

Aroldis Chapman

CC Sabathia

Chris Davis

Adam Jones [FA]

Mark Trumbo?

Darren O’Day

Hanley Ramirez?

Rick Porcello?

Dustin Pedroia

Rusney Castillo

Troy Tulowitzki

Miguel Cabrera

Jordan Zimmermann

Victor Martinez

Joe Mauer [FA]

Phil Hughes?

Justin Verlander

Brian McCann [FA]

Mike Trout

Albert Pujols

Justin Upton

Ian Kinsler [FA]

Felix Hernandez

Robinson Cano

Mike Leake

Nelson Cruz? [FA]

Jean Segura

Hisashi Iwakuma

Cole Hamels? [FA]

Shin-Soo Choo?

Adrian Beltre?

Elvis Andrus?

Mike Minor?

I've crossed out the names that seem totally unrealistic (including players who just signed deals and likely aren't on the trading block). [FA] means the player is a free agent after 2018, which in my mind makes it less likely they are a target.

Ellsbury, Trumbo, and Castillo would likely waive their no-trade clauses because they have better shots at a starting job in Milwaukee, especially if Santana is on the movie.

Zimmermann would probably be perfectly happy to get out of Detroit (and back home to Wisconsin no less), but Detroit would have to eat a lot of money for him to be the player.

Andrus makes the most sense in terms of upgrading the Brewers, but would he want to leave Texas and would Texas want to trade him?

I think some of you guys are just completely missing out on the point of this message board: fun. If you are looking for actual news, this probably isn't the best spot. For those of you that like endless chatter about possible trades and whatnot, this is great. For those of you that are annoyed that none of us are actually able to predict the real moves, I think you are in the wrong spot.

What makes you think I'm not having fun? I was ready to jump in head first when this popped up and Crasnick was sort of confirming it. Then he walked it back and things started making less sense. I'd hate to think that this board is about going along with the group think or get out. I had a different opinion, I stated that clearly and never attacked anyone.

What makes you think I'm not having fun? I was ready to jump in head first when this popped up and Crasnick was sort of confirming it. Then he walked it back and things started making less sense. I'd hate to think that this board is about going along with the group think or get out. I had a different opinion, I stated that clearly and never attacked anyone.

if i misread your tone, then no worries!

Contractual issues can also mean who's paying what percentage of an overpaid veterans salary.

Wish you'd said that before I spent 20 minutes compiling a list of no-trade clauses! ;)

LOL. It was a fun read anyway.

Overpaid, but not terrible and fill a position the Brewers could use sorta in the AL:

Jason Kipnis

Russell Martin

Jordan Zim

Jacoby Ellsbury

Dustin Pedroia

Hanley Ramirez

Rick Porcello

Troy Tulo

James Shields

Now, not all of these teams need an Outfielder. So, if I had to guess, i'd say the Brewers are taking one of Kipnis, as has been guessed already, Martin, or James Shields.

Overpaid, but not terrible and fill a position the Brewers could use sorta in the AL:

Jason Kipnis

Russell Martin

Jordan Zim

Jacoby Ellsbury

Dustin Pedroia

Hanley Ramirez

Rick Porcello

Troy Tulo

James Shields

Now, not all of these teams need an Outfielder. So, if I had to guess, i'd say the Brewers are taking one of Kipnis, as has been guessed already, Martin, or James Shields.

I think Ellsbury would be legit too.

*Assuming "need" is not the primary motivating factor.

Contractual issues can also mean who's paying what percentage of an overpaid veterans salary.

Its ellsbury. burn everything I said.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Jason Kipnis

Russell Martin

Jordan Zim

Jacoby Ellsbury

Dustin Pedroia

Hanley Ramirez

Rick Porcello

Troy Tulo

James Shields

Missing Donaldson yes I know he is only one year removed from an MVP year he was injured last year and would be someone the Brewers could use to fill a hole somewhat. Donaldson would be considered a significant acquisition. I think there is an outside chance of this but I wouldn't be surprised by it.

Also you need to add Brett Gardner to that list. If I am remembering correctly the Brewers have been tied to Gardner a few times and I think it was either last year or the year before when they were tied to him last.

pogo, you may be making an incorrect assumption in your post- the guy could be a 'take our crap and we'll give you a better deal'-type, and may not really be acquired to fill a need.

Oh, all of those guys are the crap. I'm hoping they all come with something really good. I'm actually hoping the brewers take Shields and a couple really awesome prospects from the White Sox.

Archived