Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

2B isn't really a need in the sense that plenty are out there avaiable for low cost and we have several in house solutions plus Dubon. None are world beaters but few teams don't win because they don't have a super star 2B. In other words I certainly wouldn't trade anything meaningful for a 2B that is barely an upgrade over say merely signing Walker.

Where we are lacking (if we are in win now mode) is in the TOR and pretty much the entire bullpen after Knebel and Hader.

If we think Shaw and Santana had what will turn out to be career outlier years then yes you trade them before they regress but that seems like a lot of rolling of the dice.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2B isn't really a need in the sense that plenty are out there avaiable for low cost and we have several in house solutions plus Dubon. None are world beaters but few teams don't win because they don't have a super star 2B. In other words I certainly wouldn't trade anything meaningful for a 2B that is barely an upgrade over say merely signing Walker.

Where we are lacking (if we are in win now mode) is in the TOR and pretty much the entire bullpen after Knebel and Hader.

If we think Shaw and Santana had what will turn out to be career outlier years then yes you trade them before they regress but that seems like a lot of rolling of the dice.

To be fair, the Astros just won the World Series in no small part due to a superstar 2B.

To be fair, the Astros just won the World Series in no small part due to a superstar 2B.

He we can acquire. I'm guessing that's not on the table.

23 pages and counting of a build up and so far nothing....

Feels like my sophomore year in high school with my first legit girlfriend.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm sorry and if HH19 ends up being correct then I'll eat crow but none of this makes sense to me.

What doesn't make sense? The possibility of a Darvish signing and the trade scenarios are completely different transactions and seem to not hinge on each other. HighHeat19 has been pretty clear on that. He has also broken some "news" on the Darvish situation as well. From the sounds of it, he's just reporting from his source(s) that he has and let us know what he can for the time being. I'd really hate if we push that type of reporting away from our forum because we don't take it for what it is.

So you're buying that back in November that Stearns would weave this web of trades knowing that it all would hinge on "trade a" in late January? You're buying that back in November Stearns wove this web of trades because he knew that in late January there would still be an unlikely number of high end free agents still available and that he would need to leverage this web of trades? You're buying that Stearns has all these trades lined up and all these GM's are just standing pat waiting for the Brewers to decide what the market is going to do?

It's not personal and I would never discourage anyone from posting insider info. I have absolutely nothing against HH19 and, as I said, I'll eat crow if I'm wrong. I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm thick in the head and am just missing something here but, in my opinion, it just doesn't add up. I would hope that cordial disagreement would not discourage HH19 but if universal acceptance of his word is what is required then I'm not on board.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

I'm sorry and if HH19 ends up being correct then I'll eat crow but none of this makes sense to me.

What doesn't make sense? The possibility of a Darvish signing and the trade scenarios are completely different transactions and seem to not hinge on each other. HighHeat19 has been pretty clear on that. He has also broken some "news" on the Darvish situation as well. From the sounds of it, he's just reporting from his source(s) that he has and let us know what he can for the time being. I'd really hate if we push that type of reporting away from our forum because we don't take it for what it is.

So you're buying that back in November that Stearns would weave this web of trades knowing that it all would hinge on "trade a" in late January? You're buying that back in November Stearns wove this web of trades because he knew that in late January there would still be an unlikely number of high end free agents still available and that he would need to leverage this web of trades? You're buying that Stearns has all these trades lined up and all these GM's are just standing pat waiting for the Brewers to decide what the market is going to do?

It's not personal and I would never discourage anyone from posting insider info. I have absolutely nothing against HH19 and, as I said, I'll eat crow if I'm wrong. I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm thick in the head and am just missing something here but, in my opinion, it just doesn't add up. I would hope that cordial disagreement would not discourage HH19 but if universal acceptance of his word is what is required then I'm not on board.

I think you're looking at this possible sequence of events too much like "the" plan all along (which would admittedly be pretty prophetic on DS's part), when it's much more likely the consequence of Stearns just being patient, checking in on all possibilities, and reading the market as the offseason went along. If "part A" doesn't work out this week, he likely has "plan B", "plan C", and "plan D" all waiting their turns. He just seems to be good at covering all his bases while sticking to his guns until prices drop to where he's comfortable.

I would venture a guess that many of the GM's have hypothetical trades lined up if a door were to open up for them.

The Brewers apparently have been putting multiple semi agreed upon trades in place since November and are playing their own hardball. This is to give the power back to Stearns. The Brewers have literally set up enough scenarios with multiple teams to fill any position deemed necessary to fill the void of the big trade. Apparently letting agents know that your free agent maybe of interest, but your going to play our game and not yours cause we have another avenue.

That sure sounds like it is being implied that this was an intentional plan since November.

The Brewers apparently have been putting multiple semi agreed upon trades in place since November and are playing their own hardball. This is to give the power back to Stearns. The Brewers have literally set up enough scenarios with multiple teams to fill any position deemed necessary to fill the void of the big trade. Apparently letting agents know that your free agent maybe of interest, but your going to play our game and not yours cause we have another avenue.

That sure sounds like it is being implied that this was an intentional plan since November.

And I'll bet it's similar if not identical to what a large number of teams do. We just happened to hear someone actually about it.

Doesn't mean they only setup potential trades with teams specific to this rumor though. I'm sure there could have been many unrelated "If this happens first, we'll be interested in making this happen. We'll see you again if it happens!" type deals negotiated.

Darvish isn't coming to Milwaukee, he never was. Gammons and Hardricourt have both reported that a "big splash" with regard to starting pitching is unlikely. Crasnick has walked back the "trade" rumors significantly so I'm guessing he got information to the contrary as well. I'm sure Stearns is working every angle he can but that is nothing different than what any other GM is doing. I'm hope I'm wrong but the more I see/read the more this stinks of a big nothing burger.

Darvish isn't coming to Milwaukee, he never was. Gammons and Hardricourt have both reported that a "big splash" with regard to starting pitching is unlikely. Crasnick has walked back the "trade" rumors significantly so I'm guessing he got information to the contrary as well. I'm sure Stearns is working every angle he can but that is nothing different than what any other GM is doing. I'm hope I'm wrong but the more I see/read the more this stinks of a big nothing burger.

I don't really see it that way. HighHeat mentioned yesterday that they had a few things cooking but contingent on 'Trade A' happening. As far as I can see that seems to be consistent with Crasnick's update today that they are working on a few things on multiple fronts.

That doesn't guarantee it's happening but just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean nothing is.

I have total faith that whatever Stearns pulls off will be a good thing for the organization.

The Brewers have made offers to both Arrieta and Darvish. The Brewers reportedly have several trades set-up. Numerous reports have stated the Brewers have checked in on almost every Free Agent on the market. You smell a “nothing burger?”

Haudricourt has been doubling down on one Stearns quote from before the winter meetings about looking at market size and history as an indicator. I would actually be far more surprised at this point if the Brewers DON’T make significant moves.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Doesn't mean they only setup potential trades with teams specific to this rumor though. I'm sure there could have been many unrelated "If this happens first, we'll be interested in making this happen. We'll see you again if it happens!" type deals negotiated.

I was imagining all of the tangled web being more along the lines of Stearns saying, "If I can shore up the rotation, then I'll go all in and trade one or more of Santana/Shaw/Brinson/Top 10 prospects. If not, we're going to be more conservative with in-house development for this offseason."

Do we know that they have made offers to Arrieta and Darvish? The only person reporting that several trades are set up is HH19 so, again, you are making an assumption here. I'm guessing there are literally hundreds of reports of teams checking in on players and I'd even say it's likely that most teams check in on quite a few free agents, this isn't news.

So yeah, in my opinion, this adds up to a whole lot of nothing.

I was imagining all of the tangled web being more along the lines of Stearns saying, "If I can shore up the rotation, then I'll go all in and trade one or more of Santana/Shaw/Brinson/Top 10 prospects. If not, we're going to be more conservative with in-house development for this offseason."

Which makes sense in a more methodical sense. What doesn't make sense is lining up trades since November to that end. That suggests a much more deliberate approach.

Do we know that they have made offers to Arrieta and Darvish?

The Chicago Cubs beat reporter for the Chicago Sun-Times reported that the Brewers made a contract offer to Arrieta from information he received from “an individual close to Arrieta” and Ken Rosenthal confirmed with a source that the Brewers made an offer to Darvish. So either they made offers or two professional baseball writers are lying (or being lied to).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

23 pages and counting of a build up and so far nothing....

A few things when it comes to a trade

1. I think one will eventually happen, but Stearns isn't working the phones with an agenda of satisfying people on message boards desire to see something happen ASAP.

2. Odds are if/when a trade happens, it will involve a scenario not mentioned previously on message boards because real GM's know better than to leak out serious conversations between each other. It's more rare than common that a real trade happens between two teams where rumors of the players involved had previously been leaked or rumored about.

I dont know about Jake, but the offer to Yu has been confirmed by Rosenthal and others I thought

Source? The only thing I've seen is a report out of Japan that was repeated by others. Which probably means it was put out by team Darvish to drive up his price and not by the Brewers. One can claim that Hardricout is doubling down on an old quote from Stearns but that old quote is more solid than anything I have seen on Darvish getting an offer from the Brewers.

Archived