Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

In some ways I'm just as interested in the type of acquisition coming than who's involved (obviously, very curious about both).

On the one hand, I don't see Stearns as an aggressive, all-in, 2-3 year high-level window type guy. Nor do I see Mark A as wanting to endure the multiple weak years that usually come after a peak window. That said, the surroundings are pretty weak right now, so maybe if there was ever a time to trade prospect capital, it's now.

On the other, I feel (though can't prove) the team is in really good financial shape. If there's a way to swing a big acquisition that only costs $$ and maybe a bolster-move that allows trading from a position of strength (OF) for one of weakness (2B, SP), that would be pretty smart, especially given the really short-term rebuild the FO (with Melvin's help, it must be said) has managed to engineer. I think I'd prefer that route, but I'm really interested in seeing how the FO manages short-term versus long-term goals with the 2018 team.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority, but honestly I wouldn't do Santana + Davies for Archer if I were the Brewers. Will Archer really be THAT much better than Davies over the next few years? Better, yes, but an entire Domingo Santana better? I kinda doubt it. Maybe because I'm pretty high on Davies.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority, but honestly I wouldn't do Santana + Davies for Archer if I were the Brewers. Will Archer really be THAT much better than Davies over the next few years? Better, yes, but an entire Domingo Santana better? I kinda doubt it. Maybe because I'm pretty high on Davies.

I'm completely with ya on this one. Not sure why people are so enamored with Archer. I must be missing something.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Might want to start with your quote on your posts :laughing

So judging by his new signature, maybe looking to go from more like 'cubsdie' to '

something more like 'IWishMinorButTreatableInjuryUponTheCubs.'

:laughing I like it!

I was thinking CubsBusCrashesNoFatalitiesButSomePrettyBadInjuries

So we can assume that plan A is to acquire Darvish. Since Darvish appears to require his destination to show that they plan to win ASAP, Stearns is also cooking up a trade with the Rays for Archer, with Domingo as the centerpiece. Darvish/Archer/Nelson (once he's back)/Anderson/Davies would be a fantastic rotation.

HH19 has been pretty clear that move A is a trade, not a signing and that Darvish is not a factor.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

if Santana is involved Indians make so much sense. Contract details could be Kipnis. Maybe the Tribe would eat some of his contract?

Santana for Kipnis, Salazar, + cash

Kipnis' value with his contract and age is negative. I think we can do better than that trade for Santana and I am no Santana fan.

I'm completely with ya on this one. Not sure why people are so enamored with Archer. I must be missing something.

I know I'd much rather just sign Darvish, that's for sure. Especially when you add in that the Santana trade likely leads to Cain signing for a big chunk of money. I'd rather just give that money to Darvish and keep Santana and whatever other prospects you have to give up.

if Santana is involved Indians make so much sense. Contract details could be Kipnis. Maybe the Tribe would eat some of his contract?

Santana for Kipnis, Salazar, + cash

If the Brewers want to go all in and want to spend money I'd rather they go out and sign two of the FA starters and keep Santana.

There was a time down the stretch where Santana was our only guy being a run producer.

Of the things talked about here I would like to do 2 of:

Sign Darvish only if under 5/120 or less

Trade for Archer

Trade for Salazar

Obviously dependent upon returns for those last 2, but I sure would like to add 2 starters and build some depth. 1 seems realistic and I'd be fine with that too. I don't mind trading some upper level prospects for present big-league value.

Trade for Archer

Trade for Salazar

If we are doing this. The window opens this season. But, if we are doing this, the window may close on us soon. We would really deplete the farm with this type of off-season. Not only that but you would probably have to sign a few more players (Cain, Oh) to even make it worth it to do something like this.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Santana as the centerpiece for Archer doesn't make much sense for Tampa Bay, because they're under team control for the same number of years. If the Rays are going into a rebuild they will want high-upside prospects whose 6-year clocks won't start ticking for another couple seasons.

Sorry for not keeping up with the thread, but is all the White Sox chat based on a concrete rumor or just pure speculation? I'm not a huge fan of an Abreu trade, because a properly-used Thames/Aguilar platoon could legitimately be a top 10 first base option.

So far the prospect of signing Darvish is what's keeping me giddy.

If we are doing this. The window opens this season. But, if we are doing this, the window may close on us soon. We would really deplete the farm with this type of off-season. Not only that but you would probably have to sign a few more players (Cain, Oh) to even make it worth it to do something like this.

Signing Darvish and trading for Salazar would deplete the farm system?

I'm sorry and if HH19 ends up being correct then I'll eat crow but none of this makes sense to me.

What doesn't make sense? The possibility of a Darvish signing and the trade scenarios are completely different transactions and seem to not hinge on each other. HighHeat19 has been pretty clear on that. He has also broken some "news" on the Darvish situation as well. From the sounds of it, he's just reporting from his source(s) that he has and let us know what he can for the time being. I'd really hate if we push that type of reporting away from our forum because we don't take it for what it is.

He also had us trading for Archer.

Think he was referring to trading for Salazar & Archer

Santana as the centerpiece for Archer doesn't make much sense for Tampa Bay, because they're under team control for the same number of years. If the Rays are going into a rebuild they will want high-upside prospects whose 6-year clocks won't start ticking for another couple seasons.

Sorry for not keeping up with the thread, but is all the White Sox chat based on a concrete rumor or just pure speculation? I'm not a huge fan of an Abreu trade, because a properly-used Thames/Aguilar platoon could legitimately be a top 10 first base option.

So far the prospect of signing Darvish is what's keeping me giddy.

Sox stuff pure speculation as far as i know. I think some Crasnick talk of the teams talking but that's it, nothing Abreu. And then it was said the likely trade is with an AL team. So people started throwing around scenarios. They're clearly a rebuilding team and one of their only remaining pieces to deal.

He also had us trading for Archer.

Nope, he had 2 out of the 3 on the list.....

Trade for Archer

Trade for Salazar

Yeah, I wouldn't make both trades. One in conjunction with Darvish or just one trade. I wasn't very clear on that.

Trade for Archer

Trade for Salazar

Yeah, I wouldn't make both trades. One in conjunction with Darvish or just one trade. I wasn't very clear on that.

Yeah I didn’t read it well either. Makes more sense.

Archived