Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

OK, don't do any trades because the guy can get hurt. Sounds good. I'd probably guess the overly jacked guy who nursed a hammy injury all season and fat guy are more likely to get hurt than Abreu, but that's just me. And you just said you disagreed with trading from positions of strength/depth.

No, not what I'm saying, really. I'm saying Abreu getting hurt is almost as likely as a Thames/Aguilar regression. I'd be way more confident in Abreu producing for sure, but it's not worth trading a top prospect for.

I think neither matter because we're a lot more than a Jose Abreu addition away from a good team. We'd better have Darvish or Cobb lined up or we'll be left with choices of:

A. Throwing more prospects on an all-in 2018-2019 endeavor, of which I'm not interested in if it blows away the future.

or

B. Only acquiring Abreu and still likely missing the playoffs.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trade A. Has to happen first. Then other trades which have been pre negotiated are set. It doesn't mean the other trades will be enacted. The purpose of the pre negotiated trades is to have power over the Agents. When you trade a player you have a hole. This hole has to be filled. The agent knows it and drives the price up. Simple supply and demand as well as playing hardball by the agent.

The Brewers apparently have been putting multiple semi agreed upon trades in place since November and are playing their own hardball. This is to give the power back to Stearns. The Brewers have literally set up enough scenarios with multiple teams to fill any position deemed necessary to fill the void of the big trade. Apparently letting agents know that your free agent maybe of interest, but your going to play our game and not yours cause we have another avenue.

So trade (A.) may lead to trade (B.) but if the Brewers lose another position cause trade (A.) requires for argument's sake Shaw. Then pre negotiated trade (R.) will be enacted from another team. If trade (R.) causes the Brewers to suddenly have a need at let's say 1st base. Then pre negotiated trade (Z) would be enacted. There is still a possibility of a free agent also filling the void instead of a trade if the Brewer's can get a FA at THEIR price. It's all very fluid and dynamic with many moving parts. But as you can see, it's (A.) that get's the ball going. And Darvish is NOT (A.)

Hence the reason it seemed like Stearns has been calling on EVERYBODY, the past 2 months! It's currently the calm before the storm. The Brewers are also double checking their other trades so when the storm hits, they can act quickly because things can get moving fast.

I did this with my fantasy football team this year. All the trades happened. However my QB's still sucked and I had to roll with Tyrod Taylor and Blake Bortles down the stretch and playoffs so it didn't help in the end.

All of this stuff is very interesting and if it indeed comes true then the rumored interest for guys like Cain and Moustakas starts to make some sense. Certainly think the possibility exists that none of these big trade/free agent pickups happen but the off season goes from boring to a well thought out plan.

I think it makes sense of the entire offseason. Let's say for example TRADE A (HH's term) falls apart and it involves a 2B, the Brewers likely turnaround and sign Walker/Nunez. Similarly, if the trade involves an SP and it falls apart, the Brewers turnaround and sign Darvish/Arrieta/Cobb/Lynn.

Honestly, the only guy that doesn't make sense to me was Moustakas given Shaw's presence. I just don't see the Brewers dealing Shaw in any scenario that doesn't include them overwhelmingly winning that deal.

All of this stuff is very interesting and if it indeed comes true then the rumored interest for guys like Cain and Moustakas starts to make some sense. Certainly think the possibility exists that none of these big trade/free agent pickups happen but the off season goes from boring to a well thought out plan.

I think it makes sense of the entire offseason. Let's say for example TRADE A (HH's term) falls apart and it involves a 2B, the Brewers likely turnaround and sign Walker/Nunez. Similarly, if the trade involves an SP and it falls apart, the Brewers turnaround and sign Darvish/Arrieta/Cobb/Lynn.

Honestly, the only guy that doesn't make sense to me was Moustakas given Shaw's presence. I just don't see the Brewers dealing Shaw in any scenario that doesn't include them overwhelmingly winning that deal.

They could move Shaw to first. Cut or trade Aguilar and keep Thames as back up in LF (maybe RF) and 1B in addition to a nice bench bat.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

OK, don't do any trades because the guy can get hurt. Sounds good. I'd probably guess the overly jacked guy who nursed a hammy injury all season and fat guy are more likely to get hurt than Abreu, but that's just me. And you just said you disagreed with trading from positions of strength/depth.

No, not what I'm saying, really. I'm saying Abreu getting hurt is almost as likely as a Thames/Aguilar regression. I'd be way more confident in Abreu producing for sure, but it's not worth trading a top prospect for.

I think neither matter because we're a lot more than a Jose Abreu addition away from a good team. We'd better have Darvish or Cobb lined up or we'll be left with choices of:

A. Throwing more prospects on an all-in 2018-2019 endeavor, of which I'm not interested in if it blows away the future.

or

No, it's not because our guys would have equally likely chance to get hurt, if not moreso based on what I said. So that cancels out, you can't just say one side could get hurt.

I guess I'm shocked I'm the only one here that thinks one prospect for two years of an AS level consistent 1B isn't a clear win in value. Most of these trades have 3-4 guys going back to the team for the star, one of which in top prospect type category.

Everything else I've said I agree on. I'm not sure we're true contenders without other moves so is it really worth bothering with. But I think you're clearly wining the trade so much that you have to do it and figure it out later. And based on what we're hearing here, management does seem to think they're contenders. If it doesn't work out you should be able trade Abreu before he's gone and regain what you lost in value in Brinson, if not more based on historical deals at the deadline. I think the Sox would be stupid to do it and could get much more.

1 good prospect for a top level hitter that you have for two years. yea, I've seen dramatically more paid for 2 months of a relief pitcher. I actually think CWS turn it down. Moreover, we have Phillips there too to play CF and Brinson has never been healthy.

Plus there's Troy Stokes and Monte Harrison further down as CF options for the Crew.

I'm okay with:

White Sox get:

1B Jesus Aguilar

OF Lewis Brinson

Brewers get:

1B Jose Abreu

LHP Kyle Kubat

RHP Danny Dopico

OF Jameson Fisher

I'm a "In Stearns We Trust" guy, but if this is true, I have a strong feeling basically nothing happens according to plan.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

or

No, it's not because our guys would have equally likely chance to get hurt, if not moreso based on what I said. So that cancels out, you can't just say one side could get hurt.

I guess I'm shocked I'm the only one here that thinks one prospect for two years of an AS level consistent 1B isn't a clear win in value. Most of these trades have 3-4 guys going back to the team for the star, one of which in top prospect type category.

Everything else I've said I agree on. I'm not sure we're true contenders without other moves so is it really worth bothering with. But I think you're clearly wining the trade so much that you have to do it and figure it out later. And based on what we're hearing here, management does seem to think they're contenders. If it doesn't work out you should be able trade Abreu before he's gone and regain what you lost in value in Brinson, if not more based on historical deals at the deadline. I think the Sox would be stupid to do it and could get much more.

Just drop the part about Abreu getting hurt, I was just saying when you narrow your window to 2 years, he had better be healthy for all of it. Not my point, anyway.

Point being - I don't care if it ends up being a home run in value. I don't really see the point of a trade of Brinson for Abreu unless the Brewers do a lot more. If the Brewers think that adding a 1-2 win upgrade for a season where you're potentially missing a guy that was a 5-win player last year makes you better than the Cubs...well then we should question if Stearns is the right guy.

Thinking you can trade a guy later on is dangerous. We could get lowballed at the deadline with Abreu or he could get hurt and then we'd have absolutely nothing to show for it all.

On a related topic, if any mods see this, is it possible to change a username? Mine is really stupid and I'd like to change it if possible.

Might want to start with your quote on your posts :laughing

So judging by his new signature, maybe looking to go from more like 'cubsdie' to '

something more like 'IWishMinorButTreatableInjuryUponTheCubs.'

:laughing I like it!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

or

Just drop the part about Abreu getting hurt, I was just saying when you narrow your window to 2 years, he had better be healthy for all of it. Not my point, anyway.

Point being - I don't care if it ends up being a home run in value. I don't really see the point of a trade of Brinson for Abreu unless the Brewers do a lot more. If the Brewers think that adding a 1-2 win upgrade for a season where you're potentially missing a guy that was a 5-win player last year makes you better than the Cubs...well then we should question if Stearns is the right guy.

Thinking you can trade a guy later on is dangerous. We could get lowballed at the deadline with Abreu or he could get hurt and then we'd have absolutely nothing to show for it all.

--

Brinson could get hurt or hit as poorly as he did last year and you get nothing to show for him as well.

But yea I'm in agreement on the middle part of what you just said, that's the questionable/murky part of it all and why Stearns gets the big bucks. At least I got you to admit that the value is on our side of this trade :) That's all I was saying the whole time.

I think I would rather just sign Yu Darvish than to trade Santana + for Archer.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Who says we can't do both?

No one. But it doesn't seem like something the Brewers would/could do.

Who says we can't do both?

No one. But it doesn't seem like something the Brewers would/could do.

That's the old Brewers. I think they have the financial strength, the prospect strength and the fortitude strength to pull that off if they really wanted to. Don't underestimate the owners desire to win.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

https://www.draysbay.com/2018/1/22/16919670/mlb-trade-rumors-tampa-bay-rays-chris-archer

Where there is smoke...is there is fire? Santana to Rays in a package for Archer?

Honestly, I'm not seeing the smoke.

The smoke is Crasnick's original tweet about the Brewers dealing an OF combined with High Heat's source saying the team is an AL team. Combined with Archer becoming available now after he was supposedly unavailable earlier this winter.

I am purely speculating obviously but I definitely see smoke.

So we can assume that plan A is to acquire Darvish. Since Darvish appears to require his destination to show that they plan to win ASAP, Stearns is also cooking up a trade with the Rays for Archer, with Domingo as the centerpiece. Darvish/Archer/Nelson (once he's back)/Anderson/Davies would be a fantastic rotation.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

One thing that may happen is that the Brewers are making their 'big' moves this year - even if they aren't super confident they are contenders. The reason is that the market is down and the big boys seem to be waiting things out so they can stay under the Luxury Tax line - and be prepared for spending huge next season with the superstar class of free agents.

Add in the fact that we do have room to take on salary and we do have a lot of prospect capital - perhaps the teams is just moving the timetable up a bit.

If the club added some exceptional talent - let's say Darvish and Cain and Archer - we might not be the best team, but we would expect to contend. Just Darvish and Cain would be a nice addition. Just throwing stuff out there.

Let's be honest, we aren't going to be in the hunt for Kershaw or Harper or Machado next season. But second tier additions - like Darvish - are still a pretty sweet gets. If we want to get a Harper or Kershaw type player we need to develop him. Trading for one is unlikely - as is signing one.

A rotation of Darvish, Archer, Davies, Anderson and Chacin would be pretty interesting. And when Nelson is ready - you're looking good. Hader bolsters the pen. Again, just having fun with ideas.

So what about plan A being acquiring Darvish. Since Darvish appears to require his destination to show that they plan to win ASAP, Stearns is also cooking up a trade with the Rays for Archer, with Domingo as the centerpiece. Darvish/Archer/Nelson (once he's back)/Anderson/Davies would be a fantastic rotation.

Source? I havent seen anything on that.

So what about plan A being acquiring Darvish. Since Darvish appears to require his destination to show that they plan to win ASAP, Stearns is also cooking up a trade with the Rays for Archer, with Domingo as the centerpiece. Darvish/Archer/Nelson (once he's back)/Anderson/Davies would be a fantastic rotation.

Source? I havent seen anything on that.

No real source here, just speculation. Warning Track Power summed it up best a few posts earlier: "The smoke is Crasnick's original tweet about the Brewers dealing an OF combined with High Heat's source saying the team is an AL team. Combined with Archer becoming available now after he was supposedly unavailable earlier this winter."

Archived