Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 good prospect for a top level hitter that you have for two years. yea, I've seen dramatically more paid for 2 months of a relief pitcher. I actually think CWS turn it down. Moreover, we have Phillips there too to play CF and Brinson has never been healthy.

Abreu isn't worlds better than the platoon we're currently rolling with. We may have less stability and flexibility going with the platoon, but I'm not giving up our top trade chip for an upgrade that one could argue isn't even that much of an upgrade.

Jerry Crasnick

Verified account

@jcrasnick

1m1 minute ago

More Jerry Crasnick Retweeted Shane Thyssen

I had indications from a couple of places that something might be happening, but #Brewers are juggling a lot of scenarios. They've been in on Yu Darvish and Lorenzo Cain as well, and I know they've been working hard on trade possibilities. Sorry if I got people's hopes up. :(

Thames and Brinson for Abreu would be unfathomably bad.

Agreed. Abreu is a stud but this team has other needs and shouldn't be dealing Brinson for an upgrade at 1B.

What if getting abreu also prompts darvish to come? A line up with abreau, braun, Santana, Shaw, etc would score a bunch of runs. A rotation with Darvish, Nelson, Anderson, Davies and whoever wins the 5th spot is very good. Keeps hader in the bullpen with knebel as well. All while really only giving up one prospect

My low-ranking source at Miller Park tells me buzz around the office is dominoes are ready to fall this week. Practically a “Now or never” feel in the air but chance of something significant is high.

If it's true there are dominoes involved and it's a one time deal, I won't get my hopes up for anything to happen. We're the Brewers, we're destined for disappointment.

We get it. You're ready to be disappointed. The Brewers always disappoint you. How many times are you going to post that?

As often as I want.

MLBMayhem This guy on Twitter says Jerry Crasnick says we're close to trading Santana.

As of five minutes ago his Crasnicks twitter seems to be throwing cold water over the whole idea.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Trade A. Has to happen first. Then other trades which have been pre negotiated are set. It doesn't mean the other trades will be enacted. The purpose of the pre negotiated trades is to have power over the Agents. When you trade a player you have a hole. This hole has to be filled. The agent knows it and drives the price up. Simple supply and demand as well as playing hardball by the agent.

The Brewers apparently have been putting multiple semi agreed upon trades in place since November and are playing their own hardball. This is to give the power back to Stearns. The Brewers have literally set up enough scenarios with multiple teams to fill any position deemed necessary to fill the void of the big trade. Apparently letting agents know that your free agent maybe of interest, but your going to play our game and not yours cause we have another avenue.

So trade (A.) may lead to trade (B.) but if the Brewers lose another position cause trade (A.) requires for argument's sake Shaw. Then pre negotiated trade (R.) will be enacted from another team. If trade (R.) causes the Brewers to suddenly have a need at let's say 1st base. Then pre negotiated trade (Z) would be enacted. There is still a possibility of a free agent also filling the void instead of a trade if the Brewer's can get a FA at THEIR price. It's all very fluid and dynamic with many moving parts. But as you can see, it's (A.) that get's the ball going. And Darvish is NOT (A.)

Hence the reason it seemed like Stearns has been calling on EVERYBODY, the past 2 months! It's currently the calm before the storm. The Brewers are also double checking their other trades so when the storm hits, they can act quickly because things can get moving fast.

1 good prospect for a top level hitter that you have for two years. yea, I've seen dramatically more paid for 2 months of a relief pitcher. I actually think CWS turn it down. Moreover, we have Phillips there too to play CF and Brinson has never been healthy.

Abreu isn't worlds better than the platoon we're currently rolling with. We may have less stability and flexibility going with the platoon, but I'm not giving up our top trade chip for an upgrade that one could argue isn't even that much of an upgrade.

OK guys, keep in mind if Brinson gets hurt again this year or does poorly like he did when he was up last year that his trade value crashes quite hard. Or you can add legit ASG level 1B rather than relying on Thames who was kind of just ok after April and banking on Jesus to replicate what he did last year. I guess I'm just not prospect hoarder, these guys flop all the time.

That said, i'm totally fine not having a big swing trade like this and just rolling with what we have at 1B and seeing what happens. Without another good pitcher added they don't really have a shot anyway. But if you're going to do it I think we're clearly winning that trade valuewise on paper. I mean, we got way more back for Lucroy.

MLBMayhem This guy on Twitter says Jerry Crasnick says we're close to trading Santana.

As of five minutes ago his Crasnicks twitter seems to be throwing cold water over the whole idea.

My interpretation of the Crasnick tweet (

) gives no indication that things aren't getting close on several fronts, just apologizing if he misled people that something was imminent (as in going down in 15 minutes rather than in the next few days).

As for the MLBMayhem tweet, no idea where that's coming from considering Crasnick's account makes no such mention and I don't see anything else about that anywhere.

OK guys, keep in mind if Brinson gets hurt again this year or does poorly like he did when he was up last year that his trade value crashes quite hard. Or you can add legit ASG level 1B rather than relying on Thames who was kind of just ok after April and banking on Jesus to replicate what he did last year. I guess I'm just not prospect hoarder, these guys flop all the time.

That said, i'm totally fine not having a big swing trade like this and just rolling with what we have at 1B and seeing what happens. Without another good pitcher added they don't really have a shot anyway. But if you're going to do it I think we're clearly winning that trade valuewise on paper. I mean, we got way more back for Lucroy.

We won 86 games with Jimmy Nelson and Thames/Aguilar putting up Abreu's production on aggregate. We can hang a banner for "we have a $20 million All Star caliber player on our team" when we win 83 this year.

I am a fan of Jose Abreu and would take him in the right case...but the Brewers are not one minor tweak away from a World Series. Maybe throw Darvish in there and we can start talking.

Trade A. Has to happen first. Then other trades which have been pre negotiated are set. It doesn't mean the other trades will be enacted. The purpose of the pre negotiated trades is to have power over the Agents. When you trade a player you have a hole. This hole has to be filled. The agent knows it and drives the price up. Simple supply and demand as well as playing hardball by the agent.

The Brewers apparently have been putting multiple semi agreed upon trades in place since November and are playing their own hardball. This is to give the power back to Stearns. The Brewers have literally set up enough scenarios with multiple teams to fill any position deemed necessary to fill the void of the big trade. Apparently letting agents know that your free agent maybe of interest, but your going to play our game and not yours cause we have another avenue.

So trade (A.) may lead to trade (B.) but if the Brewers lose another position cause trade (A.) requires for argument's sake Shaw. Then pre negotiated trade (R.) will be enacted from another team. If trade (R.) causes the Brewers to suddenly have a need at let's say 1st base. Then pre negotiated trade (Z) would be enacted. There is still a possibility of a free agent also filling the void instead of a trade if the Brewer's can get a FA at THEIR price. It's all very fluid and dynamic with many moving parts. But as you can see, it's (A.) that get's the ball going. And Darvish is NOT (A.)

Hence the reason it seemed like Stearns has been calling on EVERYBODY, the past 2 months! It's currently the calm before the storm. The Brewers are also double checking their other trades so when the storm hits, they can act quickly because things can get moving fast.

I'm a "In Stearns We Trust" guy, but if this is true, I have a strong feeling basically nothing happens according to plan.

I'm not sure I'm following completely but this seems like a case where all of the free agents just sign elsewhere and the Brewers back out of every trade because half/all of them suddenly are not what they wanted to do.

We won 86 games with Jimmy Nelson and Thames/Aguilar putting up Abreu's production on aggregate. We can hang a banner for "we have a $20 million All Star caliber player on our team" when we win 83 this year.

I am a fan of Jose Abreu and would take him in the right case...but the Brewers are not one minor tweak away from a World Series. Maybe throw Darvish in there and we can start talking.

You're just not factoring in how likely it is to have regression from Thames/Jesus and that it's very unlikely from Abreu. And generally forgetting that our offense was clearly the problem the 2nd half of the year.

I get it though, I'm fine to hold tight too ona big trade as I don't think we're really a contender. I'm merely just saying that if they're trading for Abreu and all it costs is Brinson then you won the deal on paper at the time of the trade, and you make the best of it. Heck, if the team doesn't do well you should easily be able to flip Abreu for better package at the deadline. And dealing Brinson specifically you have your next best prospect at the same position (who did better last year and is lefty so would get more ABs anyway) and still have Broxton to do a platoon.

As someone just said something of this nature could be tied with another move somehow.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
As often as I want

"Avoid repetition. It doesn't take long for an initially interesting topic to turn into a dead-horse beating session, or for you to become known on the forum as "that guy who is obsessed with Player/Issue X." This includes posting the same basic thought in multiple threads or repeatedly within a single thread. It can also include authoring a significant percentage of the posts within a given thread. Site staff will lock or merge threads that they believe duplicate an existing discussion."

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm willing to believe HH19 but this seems so fantastical. It literally says "anything could happen" which isn't all that predictive to begin with. Never mind the intricacies of putting a web of trades together that has to change every time a trade is made or a free agent is signed and the opposing teams needs/wants change. I've seen a trade lead to another trade but I've never seen anything like the domino effect that is being implied here.

Trade A must be an absolute blockbuster or this just doesn't make any sense.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Is trade A the trade that may not happen until Wednesday or Thursday?

Yes.

You're just not factoring in how likely it is to have regression from Thames/Jesus and that it's very unlikely from Abreu. And generally forgetting that our offense was clearly the problem the 2nd half of the year.

I get it though, I'm fine to hold tight too ona big trade as I don't think we're really a contender. I'm merely just saying that if they're trading for Abreu and all it costs is Brinson then you won the deal on paper at the time of the trade, and you make the best of it. Heck, if the team doesn't do well you should easily be able to flip Abreu for better package at the deadline. And dealing Brinson specifically you have your next best prospect at the same position (who did better last year and is lefty so would get more ABs anyway) and still have Broxton to do a platoon.

As someone just said something of this nature could be tied with another move somehow.

Abreu could get hurt, or more likely, the Brewers still miss the playoffs by a longshot with Abreu.

I'm not a major fan of Brinson on the whole, but the "well, we've already got another guy there" argument is how you get the Twins throwing away Wilson Ramos for some crappy reliever at the deadline because they're happy with the one other guy they have. I prefer quantity unless the prospect is Mike Trout. Maybe Brinson is the guy that pans out and Phillips is the failure. Or maybe both are just pretty good but we thrive on having both as depth for the next 6 years. Or maybe Brinson can be used in a more valuable trade.

Yes.

Ok awesome, thanks!

How likely do you think it is to happen?

OK, don't do any trades because the guy can get hurt. Sounds good. I'd probably guess the overly jacked guy who nursed a hammy injury all season and fat guy are more likely to get hurt than Abreu, but that's just me. And you just said you disagreed with trading from positions of strength/depth.

All of this stuff is very interesting and if it indeed comes true then the rumored interest for guys like Cain and Moustakas starts to make some sense. Certainly think the possibility exists that none of these big trade/free agent pickups happen but the off season goes from boring to a well thought out plan.

Archived