Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

after many years of looking for a third baseman we finally got one in shaw.....now why in the heck would we want to trade him right away .....he was our best player last year.....it doesn't make sense to trade him

Agreed. Plus he has far more value to us then he likely would to other teams. He won't be viewed as an All Star 3B but rather a nice player who has a career year.

And no we won't be getting Torres for him.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Re: Shaw. I don't think the Brewers want to trade him. But I think it's a backup plan to trading Santana for (pitching) prospects and replacing him with a FA (Cain); if the market for Santana isn't there, then Shaw is really the only comparable player to make that kind of deal.

Anyone wanna explain the motivation for the Yankees here unless Shaw is also involved?

Clear payroll to sign Darvish and then Harper, Machado, or Kershaw next year. Or all of them.

Unless they are militant about staying under the tax threshold next year as well, I don't think giving up major value to rid themselves of Ellsbury would be a good idea.

My low-ranking source at Miller Park tells me buzz around the office is dominoes are ready to fall this week. Practically a “Now or never” feel in the air but chance of something significant is high.

Anyone wanna explain the motivation for the Yankees here unless Shaw is also involved?

Clear payroll to sign Darvish and then Harper, Machado, or Kershaw next year. Or all of them.

Unless they are militant about staying under the tax threshold next year as well, I don't think giving up major value to rid themselves of Ellsbury matters.

They won't care at all about the luxury tax next year. If they stay under this year they'll reset the penalties to a lower level. At some point they'll want to get below it again to reset, but in a year where Harper and Kershaw are possibly available, it's not going to be that year.

Late last night, in post #236, I said Thames and a kid for Abreu - I don't expect it at all, but if the Brewers went that way, that's the sort of deal I would expect.

I believe Thames and Abreu are signed for the same two years, Abreu is clearly better, Thames is cheaper - there's a reason for both teams, if the Sox get a prospect they like well enough to do it.

$13 this year, arb next year ($17 maybe?), so roughly $17 more than Thames over 2 years. Well worth it, depending on the players added to Thames, which would be significant I'm guessing.

Unless they are militant about staying under the tax threshold next year as well, I don't think giving up major value to rid themselves of Ellsbury matters.

They won't care at all about the luxury tax next year. If they stay under this year they'll reset the penalties to a lower level. At some point they'll want to get below it again to reset, but in a year where Harper and Kershaw are possibly available, it's not going to be that year.

Exactly my thoughts. Shedding Ellsbury, unless there is serious benefit in getting 2 stud players squeezed in right now (while still leaving the option of more next year) is not really something that the Yankees would bend over backwards to do.

Late last night, in post #236, I said Thames and a kid for Abreu - I don't expect it at all, but if the Brewers went that way, that's the sort of deal I would expect.

I believe Thames and Abreu are signed for the same two years, Abreu is clearly better, Thames is cheaper - there's a reason for both teams, if the Sox get a prospect they like well enough to do it.

$13 this year, arb next year ($17 maybe?), so roughly $17 more than Thames over 2 years. Well worth it, depending on the players added to Thames, which would be significant I'm guessing.

Yep, whether the Brewers gave up one kid that made us all cringe, or two that we'd prefer to keep - Abreu isn't leaving Chicago strictly for salary relief. The Sox would need a reason, but you would think the two sides could sort that out.

My low-ranking source at Miller Park tells me buzz around the office is dominoes are ready to fall this week. Practically a “Now or never” feel in the air but chance of something significant is high.

If it's true there are dominoes involved and it's a one time deal, I won't get my hopes up for anything to happen. We're the Brewers, we're destined for disappointment.

I do like the fact that Stearns and Co. seem to be trying to take advantage of the market and of teams trying to stay under the luxury tax and/or trying to get Harper a year from now. Very smart to act now while the market favors a team like Milwaukee.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

How about this for a series of moves.

FA:

Sign Darvish to a 5 year deal (110M?)

Sign Oh to a 1 year/ 4M

Sign Walker to a 2 year / 22M

Trade

NYY: Trade Broxton and filler for Ellsbury, 30M, and good prospects (Abreu & Dillion Tate)

CLE: Trade Santana for Meija, Yu-Cheng Chang

CHW: Trade Thames, Ortiz, Stokes, Supak for Jose Abreu

??: Villar & Aguilar for low level prospects (think Lind trade)

New lineup

C: Pina

1B: Abreu

2B: Walker

SS: Arcia

3B: Shaw

LF: Braun

CF: Brinson

RF: Phillips

Bench: Ellsbury, Vogt, Perez, Sogard

SP: Darvish, Anderson, Chacin, Davies, Woodruff (+ Nelson)

RP: Knebel, Hader, Oh, Logan, Barnes, Jeffress, Guerra, Suter (+ Williams, Houser in AAA)

I think this would be a consider a good flurry of activity.

If it's true there are dominoes involved and it's a one time deal, I won't get my hopes up for anything to happen. We're the Brewers, we're destined for disappointment.

Do you not trust Stearns knows what he's doing or something?

the sky is falling?

this is an exciting time, I don't know how those kind of negative thoughts can even be floating around in your head today!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Do you not trust Stearns knows what he's doing or something?

Has nothing to do with Stearns and everything to do with the winds of fate. How often do we get our hopes up about something only to have them crushed as Brewer fans? This sounds like there's a lot of moving pieces with multiple teams and players all having to fall in the right place. I would not be surprised if by Friday the reports are all of this is off the table and nothing is happening.

the sky is falling?

this is an exciting time, I don't know how those kind of negative thoughts can even be floating around in your head today!

Realism, not negativity. If all the other deals hinge on another deal happening first there has to be a certain amount of risk associated with the first thing. Of course that assumes that any of this is actually real though HH19 his given it all some credibility.

Sounds like thing A is the determining factor in whether the Brewers "go all in" this year or not. If thing A doesn't happen, they hold course and that could be the likely scenario.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

http://www.chicagonow.com/all-shapes-sizes/files/2016/11/debbie-downer.jpg

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

On a related topic, if any mods see this, is it possible to change a username? Mine is really stupid and I'd like to change it if possible.

Might want to start with your quote on your posts :laughing

So judging by his new signature, maybe looking to go from more like 'cubsdie' to '

something more like 'IWishMinorButTreatableInjuryUponTheCubs.'

We know MKE and the White Sox had significant discussion on Quintana. And from that we were told that we wouldn't give up Brinson. Who knows what is true. But if it was what someone posted above of Thames and a prospect for Abreu then I'd be ok with Brinson. If they demand another top level guy like Hader along with it, I probably hold off. But Thames/brinson and lower level flyer, I think I do it.

We get it. You're ready to be disappointed. The Brewers always disappoint you. How many times are you going to post that?

1 good prospect for a top level hitter that you have for two years. yea, I've seen dramatically more paid for 2 months of a relief pitcher. I actually think CWS turn it down. Moreover, we have Phillips there too to play CF and Brinson has never been healthy.

Archived