Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You want some completely unsubstantiated speculation?

Yankees get:

Travis Shaw

Keon Broxton

Brewers get:

Jacoby Ellsbury

Dellin Bentances

Gleybar Torres

Albert Abreu

Hernan Perez moves to 3b. Torres starts at 2nd. I just made all that up though.

Not enough for Shaw, in my opinion. To me this deal would essentially be Shaw for Torres and Broxton for the rest, and I would think we'd have to be getting at least one more top prospect for Shaw to make it worth moving him.

Isn't Torres like the 2nd ranked prospect in baseball?

Yes, and Ellsbury is roughly the 2nd worst contract in baseball. I agree with Greenleaf. I don't think it's really that close. That's roughly Betances and Abreu for Shaw. No thanks.

On a different note, HighHeat has mentioned that Darvish is in “sit down mode” with the Brewers. He has also made it known that Move A needs to happen to lead to Move B.

Could it be possible that Stearn’s is proving the direction of the franchise by making a trade for someone like Archer or Jose Abreu from the White Sox?

Abreu has not been linked to the Brewers and would be a significant acquisition that would push the Brewers into one of the top offenses with the middle of their lineup featuring Santana (if not traded), Braun, Shaw, and Abreu.

Abreu is a career .301 hitter and can be penciled in for 30 homers and 100 RBI. He has remained healthy for his first 4 years in the MLB and will come with a reasonable $13 million contract for this season and is arbitration eligible next offseason before becoming a free agent after the 2019 season.

Jerry Crasnick has made it known that the White Sox may be interested in acquiring one of the Brewers’ outfielders. The White Sox are still in rebuilding mode after finishing 2017 at 67-95.

Signing Darvish would be huge in and of itself, but following that up with the addition of Abreu would be unbelievable. It could just be the move Stearns has up his sleeve to help convince Darvish to come to Milwaukee.

Yankees get:

Travis Shaw

Keon Broxton

Brewers get:

Jacoby Ellsbury

Dellin Bentances

Gleybar Torres

Albert Abreu

Not enough for Shaw, in my opinion. To me this deal would essentially be Shaw for Torres and Broxton for the rest, and I would think we'd have to be getting at least one more top prospect for Shaw to make it worth moving him.

Isn't Torres like the 2nd ranked prospect in baseball?

It took Torres and 3 more guys to get Aroldis Chapman for half a season. While that was obviously an overpay, I don't see how Torres alone is enough for 4 years of control over Shaw.

Yankees get:

Travis Shaw

Keon Broxton

Brewers get:

Jacoby Ellsbury

Dellin Bentances

Gleybar Torres

Albert Abreu

Haha, this made me laugh: https://twitter.com/JP_Breen/status/955496865885278210

after many years of looking for a third baseman we finally got one in shaw.....now why in the heck would we want to trade him right away .....he was our best player last year.....it doesn't make sense to trade him

high value, blah blah blah, im with you. you trade from your organizational strengths (OF) and not one of weakness (3B).

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

You may be 100% correct Greenleaf, but Im not sure how much value Keon Broxton has to us or anyone else for that matter. He'd be a 4th OF at best for NYY. A lot would be contingent on how much of Ellsbury's salary they retained. I guess I thought Torres's value had gone up a bit as he neared the majors. I love Shaw, dont want to trade him, but cant figure out what else NY would want from MIL. I think Betances has some value even though he is set to be a FA and NYY would be selling a bit low, more value alone than Broxton.

I could also see a similar deal where it is just salary relief for NYY and Shaw isnt involved. Say Broxton and Ray for Ellsbury, Betances, Sheffield and Abreu.

On a different note, HighHeat has mentioned that Darvish is in “sit down mode” with the Brewers. He has also made it known that Move A needs to happen to lead to Move B.

No. I said Darvish is in sitdown mode with his "people". Not the Brewers. This is how stuff spirals out of control.

Could it be possible that Stearn’s is proving the direction of the franchise by making a trade for someone like Archer or Jose Abreu from the White Sox?

Abreu has not been linked to the Brewers and would be a significant acquisition that would push the Brewers into one of the top offenses with the middle of their lineup featuring Santana (if not traded), Braun, Shaw, and Abreu.

Abreu is a career .301 hitter and can be penciled in for 30 homers and 100 RBI. He has remained healthy for his first 4 years in the MLB and will come with a reasonable $13 million contract for this season and is arbitration eligible next offseason before becoming a free agent after the 2019 season.

Jerry Crasnick has made it known that the White Sox may be interested in acquiring one of the Brewers’ outfielders. The White Sox are still in rebuilding mode after finishing 2017 at 67-95.

Signing Darvish would be huge in and of itself, but following that up with the addition of Abreu would be unbelievable. It could just be the move Stearns has up his sleeve to help convince Darvish to come to Milwaukee.

Damn Rollie, I hope you're right!

I'd trade Santana to get Abreu.

Adding Abreu and Darvish would be insane.

I believe we were in on Jose when he was eligible to be signed, correct?

In a vacuum, if the Brewers trade Shaw I will be ridiculously upset. I don't see how trading a pre-arbitration 30 HR, 100 RBI 3B makes the Brewers more competitive in the near term or long term especially given there is no obvious replacement for him on Opening Day 2018.

(Spare me the Hernan Perez could be the everyday 3B posts)

Damn Rollie, I hope you're right!

I'd trade Santana to get Abreu.

Adding Abreu and Darvish would be insane.

I believe we were in on Jose when he was eligible to be signed, correct?

Correct, the Brewers and White Sox were the two finalists for Abreu.

Beat me to it. I've been thinking of Abreu also. HighHeat mentioned two things that put Abreu on my radar. First, AL team. Which makes perfect sense, because we have heard nothing about any deal with the White Sox. Secondly, he mentioned "working out contracts" which would make sense with Abreu- trying to add another year or two.

I thought so.

But if we get Abreu, wouldnt be a need for Thames and Aguilar... Thames would become a bench bat, I guess.

That’s what signing Ji-Man Choi was for. I think they would trade Thames, and possibly Aguilar, and bring up Choi to back up Abreu. Stearns would replenish the farm system from the Abreu trade by trading Aguilar and Thames.

A trade for Abreu would probably include Aguilar as he no longer has any place on the team since both are RHB and the White Sox would probably take a cheap, young 1B back. Thames has more defensive versatility than Aguilar, not that much more though really, and would be a nice LHB off the bench.

Late last night, in post #236, I said Thames and a kid for Abreu - I don't expect it at all, but if the Brewers went that way, that's the sort of deal I would expect.

I believe Thames and Abreu are signed for the same two years, Abreu is clearly better, Thames is cheaper - there's a reason for both teams, if the Sox get a prospect they like well enough to do it.

I thought so.

But if we get Abreu, wouldnt be a need for Thames and Aguilar... Thames would become a bench bat, I guess.

That’s what signing Ji-Man Choi was for. I think they would trade Thames, and possibly Aguilar, and bring up Choi to back up Abreu. Stearns would replenish the farm system from the Abreu trade by trading Aguilar and Thames.

Trading Thames and Aguilar will not bring back anything close to what it would take to get Abreau.

Archived