Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Yankees want to dump Ellsbury, I'll take the whole contract, Torres, and another lesser pitching prospect. The Yanks can have Broxton or Ray.

I thought about this too. I think I'd rather have some pitchers personally.

Torres solves the immediate 2B issue and allows flexibility with the others in the minors to move to a different position or trade.

The Cubs are not any more vulnerable than they were last year. I really hope Stearns isn't making moves because of the Cubs and instead making moves that are best for the organization regardless of any other team.

Not sure I agree with this. That bullpen could be a major problem for them. Of course, the offseason isn't over yet. I definitely agree with your opinion on Stearns' moves though.

On a related topic, if any mods see this, is it possible to change a username? Mine is really stupid and I'd like to change it if possible.

No it's great! They should die!

Also, Cubs aren't powerhouse. They caught magic in 2016. They are good but not powerhouse.

If you take out the pre-All Star hangover time for the Cubs in 2017, they are 202-108 since the 2015 All Star break. Their core is still intact. If they aren't a powerhouse, I'd hate to see one. Do they have some potential cracks? Yes, but they had some guys underachieve last year too.

So leaving out all the other reasons why we'd never trade Braun to the Yankees, there is literally nowhere for him to play there. Last I checked, Yanks had the corner OF positions pretty much covered.

Yes, I'm aware I just opened this thread up to "he could play 1B" discussion.

EDIT: I'm a little slow this morning, so please forgive me for forgetting that he'd probably be an ideal DH.

If the Yankees want to dump Ellsbury, I'll take the whole contract, Torres, and another lesser pitching prospect. The Yanks can have Broxton or Ray.

I thought about this too. I think I'd rather have some pitchers personally.

Torres solves the immediate 2B issue and allows flexibility with the others in the minors to move to a different position or trade.

Anyone wanna explain the motivation for the Yankees here unless Shaw is also involved?

They're ~$20 million under the tax threshold right now. The only reason this might make sense is if they trade Torres so that they can fit both Moustakas and Darvish in under the tax threshold. Can't imagine them giving up a supposed stud/starting 2B prospect so that they can save money on Ellsbury on a franchise that clearly isn't hurting that much for money.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

On a related topic, if any mods see this, is it possible to change a username? Mine is really stupid and I'd like to change it if possible.

I'll look into it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think we should stop saying Braun isn't going anywhere. Are the chances very small? Sure. But it still makes sense to move him if you're the Brewers, and plenty of teams would like to have him if the money was right- especially AL teams. And I do think Mark A has a great relationship with Braun, and Braun would waive his no-trade clause for the right team.

Stearns is very good at keeping things quiet, and IF anything involving Braun is going on I'm sure he has pleaded with the other team no leaks. (Many of which are very good at flying under the radar themselves.)

*Not predicting anything. Just saying I don't buy there's a 0% chance Braun gets traded.

HighHeat has said, according to his club source... Braun isnt going anywhere.

Anyone wanna explain the motivation for the Yankees here unless Shaw is also involved?

They're ~$20 million under the tax threshold right now. The only reason this might make sense is if they trade Torres so that they can fit both Moustakas and Darvish in under the tax threshold. Can't imagine them giving up a supposed stud/starting 2B prospect so that they can save money on Ellsbury on a franchise that clearly isn't hurting that much for money.

Not to mention they have very little money committed a few years from now (by Yankees standards anyway), they have a lot of flexibility already.

I think the Ellsbury talk all started from Yankee fans on Twitter hearing that the Brewers were looking a a trade involving an OF. They assumed the Brewers were looking for OFs, and would want Ellsbury. I haven't seen anyone of note indicate, speculate, or otherwise guess that the Brewers are even talking to the Yankees, let alone inquiring about Ellsbury.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Clear payroll to sign Darvish and then Harper, Machado, or Kershaw next year. Or all of them.

That would be spectacular if they signed all of them. $600 million payroll :)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Cain tidbit in that last tweet is interesting since I can't imagine the Brewers would want Cain unless Brinson was being dealt?

I'd say deal Santana and let Brinson/Phillips platoon in right field. Any deal for Cain will get him into his mid-thirties, so at some point he'll probably shift to a corner (maybe LF after Braun's contract is up?) and Brinson and/or Phillips could take over CF at that point.

Brinson/Phillips are huge defensive upgrades no matter where they play in the OF so I'm totally fine keeping both even if we sign Cain.

You want some completely unsubstantiated speculation?

Yankees get:

Travis Shaw

Keon Broxton

Brewers get:

Jacoby Ellsbury

Dellin Bentances

Gleybar Torres

Albert Abreu

Hernan Perez moves to 3b. Torres starts at 2nd. I just made all that up though.

Not enough for Shaw, in my opinion. To me this deal would essentially be Shaw for Torres and Broxton for the rest, and I would think we'd have to be getting at least one more top prospect for Shaw to make it worth moving him.

You want some completely unsubstantiated speculation?

Yankees get:

Travis Shaw

Keon Broxton

Brewers get:

Jacoby Ellsbury

Dellin Bentances

Gleybar Torres

Albert Abreu

Hernan Perez moves to 3b. Torres starts at 2nd. I just made all that up though.

Not enough for Shaw, in my opinion. To me this deal would essentially be Shaw for Torres and Broxton for the rest, and I would think we'd have to be getting at least one more top prospect for Shaw to make it worth moving him.

Isn't Torres like the 2nd ranked prospect in baseball?

Archived