Brewer Fanatic

Significant Acquisition Coming? Krasnick says "buzz" Brewers close to a trade

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2018/1/18/16907898/wei-chung-wang-will-pitch-in-korea-in-2018-per-report

On the bottom of the article, there is a section where Stearns was asked if there would be a signicant move prior to the start of Spring Training.

In a recent interview on 105.7 FM in Milwaukee, David Stearns was asked:

“What are the chances that between now and Spring Training, there will be a roster move that moves the needle in a big way for Brewers fans? One way or the other?”

Stearns: “Boy, I am not good at handicapping these things but I will say that we are certainly talking about moves that we think would meaningfully impact our team. Some of them have been, maybe overly exaggerated in the press. And then there are some things we are working on that haven’t been discussed publicly at all. So we’ll keep you guys guessing for a little while longer, but we are certainly working on things and I will say this: it would not surprise me if we make a substantive move between now and Spring Training”.

It appears that Stearns is working on a significant acquisition that will propel the Brewers into serious playoff contenders this season. The next few weeks will be an exciting time to see what moves Stearns will do to make a big impact on the upcoming season.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't say that like you believe it - some people here will act like you're naive for not thinking that Stearns is a flat-out liar because no GM would ever actually tell you the truth... :laughing
"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"

I don't think he said anything new. Literally any possible move available to the Brewers, the biggest and smallest of trades along with the biggest and smallest of FA signings would all fit in some way to what he said above. That quote is basically 3 sentences saying anything is possible and we may have a lot of activity or none at all. There's a good chance we'll see roughly the same quote a dozen times next offseason as well.

But none of that is harmful.

Some stuff reported is exaggerated... likely true and meaningless to any specific case

Some stuff that hasn't been reported publically... literally could be anything.

It would not surprise me if we make a substancial move... with how many things they are linked to be working on and add things they are working on that (no one is reporting) he's merely saying, we are in the mix for something big. Which seems to always be the case with him.

That doesn't hurt leverage. It helps drive up prices as the brewers are in the market for something substancial. Literally could be anything at this point.

The interesting part, keep you waiting a little longer. A little. Thats like saying I expect something to come together soon. Just waiting on dominos to fall.

It'd be really easy to say, we're done. From reading it I has the vibe of... ok how little can I say while saying enough to keep them clued in and excited.

Some gms lie... some gms are silent. He's shown to be more the silent type. Things trickle out later that show we were in the bidding but got outbid. The need to point out there's stuff you don't even know we're working on... its to boast tgat we keep things underwraps here.

I'd kinda be stunned if we aren't buying something or trading for something big in the next two weeks. Unless the market heats up all of a sudden I see no reason to avoid it and he's pointed to buying power. He's waiting out the market.

Granted "substancial" could be neil walker at 10/2. I wonder how we handle the cool market on santana mixed with brinson phillips harrison lutz, then grisham ray etc. Lots of bodies there.

The weeding out the 40 nan process is already well under way.

I mean David Stearns would probably consider Neil Walker a huge move while (I think?) what you are inferring with your thread is something more major than that. Stearns also seemed to change the topic from “significant move” and answered it by talking about a “meaningful move” which could be almost anything.

Maybe Michael Fulmer from Detroit is the one “people aren’t mentioning. TOR pitcher. Dangle Santana + for him. Get Cain. Call it an off season!

I would be very very cautious regarding Michael Fullmer.

I recall some injury issues with him last season and while listening to some of the national podcasts (can't recall if it was BA or BP/ Effectively Wild or another one) one of the hosts has on multiple occasions expressed a concern that the way Fullmer was used/ abused by Brad Ausmus last season could have longer term effects on Fullmer & could jeopardize the long term career of Fullmer.

From a Brewer perspective IF a deal was reached a thorough review of the medical records would be needed as well as INSISTING on conducting a complete physical of Fullmer be done BEFORE the deal is finalized. I would do everything possible to ensure I was not "buying a lemon".

Some gms lie... some gms are silent.

... some GM’s host their own Podcast.

This is stating the obvious at this point, but I think it’s clear the Brewers have been very active understanding all corners of the market both for free agency as well as trade options. I would assume something will come to fruition because there are too many transactional dominoes yet to fall before Spring Training for something not to break the Brewers way.

The most interesting thing to me about the quote was the acknowledgment that there were possibilities that haven’t been reported thus far. Just speculation on my part, but I think there is a good chance they are monitoring the Darvish market closely even though they haven’t really been connected to him publically. I have a sense that the Twins are the favorites to land Darvish at this point, but I wouldn’t be shocked if the Brewers make him an strong offer before all is said and done. I do still think it is more likely that they end up with Cobb or Arrieta than Darvish, however.

As far as possible trade options not currently being reported, there are too many possibilities to even guess (but that won’t stop me from taking a stab in the dark). One possibility is a trade with Arizona which could involve major league pieces on both sides. I also think while very unlikely there is at least a non-zero percent chance the Brewers have explored taking on a portion of Grienke’s contract if the Diamondbacks are motivated to move him. Again, obviously very unlikely. Among position player possibilities I still think they may be monitoring options on the catching market. It is a position that is currently weak across MLB, so finding their catcher of the future may very well be on the radar with JT Realmuto being the most obvious possibility.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewers get:

RHP Zach Greinke

Diamondbacks get:

RHP Brendan Woodruff

RHP Phil Bickford

C Jacob Nottingham

D-Backs cover 25% of Greinke's salary for the contract.

Imagine a rotation of: Greinke, Anderson, Davies, Chacin, and Suter to start out - Nelson to replace whoever struggles or who gets traded.

We may spend big and have payroll space, but investing $100mil for a pitcher that will be 34 in the youngest year is just not going to happen. Why not just sign one of the FAs. Sure they may have less upside, but they are at least not already in a age screaming regression.

Brewers get:

RHP Zach Greinke

Diamondbacks get:

RHP Brendan Woodruff

RHP Phil Bickford

C Jacob Nottingham

Imagine a rotation of: Greinke, Anderson, Davies, Chacin, and Suter to start out - Nelson to replace whoever struggles or who gets traded.

If only AZ would consider it, I'd take this deal in a heartbeat.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewers get:

RHP Zach Greinke

Diamondbacks get:

RHP Brendan Woodruff

RHP Phil Bickford

C Jacob Nottingham

If only AZ would consider it, I'd take this deal in a heartbeat.

They wouldn’t

Julio Teheran makes some sense.

You would have to give up Brinson, Hiura and Ortiz just to get the Braves to not hang up on you. So basically you have to overpay to get him.

I think u may be over valuing him some. His numbers aren't that spectacular. He's really good but not at a crazy 3 top 100 players level.

Julio Teheran is so up and down there is just no way he carries top value. If the Braves asked Brinson for Teheran straight up then I would be the guy hanging up the phone. Over the last three years Teheran has had ERA's of 4.04, 3.21, 4.49 and FIP's of 4.40, 3.69, 4.95. Depth Charts and Steamer have projected him as a 4.67 ERA and 1.5 WAR player in 2018. Last year his average WAR between Baseball Reference and Fangraphs was 1.35, average over the last two years is 2.68 and average over the last three years is just 2.22. He's under control over the next three years (31 million if the option year is picked up) and if one assumes the best WAR (2.68 - 2 year split) it makes his value 78.926 million. 78.926-31=47.926 million in surplus value. And that's taking the best case scenario and completely ignoring the 1.5 WAR projection for 2018 which is probably how a pretty good percentage of MLB teams would view him, especially since his WAR was only 1.35 last year.

Teheran's reputation is way better than his performance.

I could see Stearns making a run at Teheran because he'd be under team control for three years, annual salaries would not break the bank and there is some talent there. But as nate82 suggested, if the Braves don't want to trade him and start asking for crazy packages that include Brinson, then it's a very easy pass for Stearns because the value just isn't there. Again, absolute max surplus value at just under 48 million...I honestly think his real value when including future projections really should be right around the 40 million range.

Julio Teheran makes some sense.

You would have to give up Brinson, Hiura and Ortiz just to get the Braves to not hang up on you. So basically you have to overpay to get him.

I think u may be over valuing him some. His numbers aren't that spectacular. He's really good but not at a crazy 3 top 100 players level.

That is not my valuation of him that is Atlanta's. They are not willing to trade him unless blown away.

Teheran is not that good and he's been trending downward. I wouldn't even consider Brinson in a deal for him. I don't see him as a significant acquisition or difference maker by any stretch, he'd be a middle of the rotation guy on most teams, including the Brewers. Salary hit would be a bit better than the FA starters, but that would be offset and more by giving up the prospects, especially some of the names mentioned above.

Archived