Brewer Fanatic

Big League Camp Invites

KeithStone53151

Hiura, Orf, Wren, Burnes, Ortiz, Perrin. None of these surprise me. Hiura and Ortiz probably won't stay long. Perrin will probably eat up some innings. Burnes will probably get an extended look if he performs well. Wren and Orf will probably see a lot of playing time and hopefully impress enough to get a shot in the event of injury at some point in the season. Both Wren and Orf are low k/contact guys that would diversify the approach of the MLB team.

Kind of surprised by Hiura but I guess they usually do that with their top pick from the previous year.

[sarcasm]It's probably to make Perez, Sogard, and Villar sweat a bit.[/sarcasm]

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Kind of surprised by Hiura but I guess they usually do that with their top pick from the previous year.

If Hiura comes up and impresses, it would be safe to assume those guys will be wondering how long they have job security here for. He's not a threat this year, but maybe next year.

If Hiura comes up and impresses, it would be safe to assume those guys will be wondering how long they have job security here for. He's not a threat this year, but maybe next year.

Impressing in ST, especially early means very little. Erceg looked last year like he was just about ready for the bigs, then struggled for parts of the year in A+ ball.

brewers.com doesn't have a list up . . . am i missing anyone here? if not, the number of non-roster invitees is only 12, which is low.

christian bethancourt

michael brady

corbin burnes

ji-man choi

erik davis

ernesto frieri

keston huira

j.j. hoover

nate orf

luis ortiz

jon perrin

kyle wren

i think yesterday's moves bode well for kyle wren in 2018. assuming santana is traded, and brett phillips is given right field, the brewers may not want to carry two backup outfielders with low obp and/or high strikeout rates, and that's what you get with hernan perez and keon broxton.

• 3 weeks later...
i think yesterday's moves bode well for kyle wren in 2018. assuming santana is traded, and brett phillips is given right field, the brewers may not want to carry two backup outfielders with low obp and/or high strikeout rates, and that's what you get with hernan perez and keon broxton.

To me, it would seem you would need three of these players to be traded before Wren became a viable option to make the 25 man roster. Santana, Phillips, Broxton, Perez

Because if we just trade Santana, Braun is going to be a corner OF and either Phillips or Broxton will be the 4th OF. Perez will be the 5th OF.

up to 16 non-roster invitees.

christian bethancourt ©

michael brady (rhp)

corbin burnes (rhp)

ji-man choi (1b/of)

erik davis (rhp)

nick franklin (ut)

ernesto frieri (rhp)

keston hiura (2b)

j.j. hoover (rhp)

dustin houle ©

radhames liz (rhp)

wade miley (lhp)

nate orf (ut)

luis ortiz (rhp)

jon perrin (rhp)

kyle wren (of)

I would like to see them ranked (opinions) on how likely they are to make the opening day roster. Did Franklin last year? I know he was around for a while. Who is most likely? Frieri? Hoover?

If Hoover has a good spring, I can see Barnes being optioned or Jeffress DFAd.

I would like to see Christian Betancourt overtake Bandy for the third catcher spot.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would like to see them ranked (opinions) on how likely they are to make the opening day roster. Did Franklin last year? I know he was around for a while.

franklin was claimed after the brewers' season had started last year. his tenure with the club was nearly three months.

I would like to see Christian Betancourt overtake Bandy for the third catcher spot.

An attainable goal! When he was signed, my first thought was why did they sign him? It seems like his name has bounced around for 15 years, I thought he was in his 30's! Shocked to find out he is only 26!

I would like to see them ranked (opinions) on how likely they are to make the opening day roster. Did Franklin last year? I know he was around for a while. Who is most likely? Frieri? Hoover?

Burnes... zero unless they sign no one else. If they add no other pitchers I'd still lean zero but I'd give him a 20% shot at being called up as soon as it doesn't screw up his arby years.

Wade miley... 50/50 as of now. Add an arm and I think its zero.

I don't see anyone else on this list unless barnes looks dreadful or injuries arise.

Hoping Perrin shows well. Feel like he'll never get a shot here though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hiura and Brady returned to minor league.

Hiura made a good impression and it sounds like he's on the fast track.

If his glove can hold up, his bat looks team altering good!

Hiura Yelich Braun/Thames Shaw Cain C phillips arcia is filthy and blows the defensive capabilities through the roof.

Archived