Brewer Fanatic

Wang to Korea?

billymac
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I actually think the Brewers are setting a terrible precedent this offseason by allowing Wang and Jungmann to go.

They're replacement level players at the back end of the 40 man roster and neither will likely ever be more than that.

You’re probably right but you just never know. Jungmann has a great season in the minors last year, as did Wang. Wang being a lefty, they usually take more time and we have a lack of them in our system. Like I’ve said before, we have let other talented pitchers get away from us and kept these two. Now we just let them have their outright release. It’s just not a good use of roster construction in my opinion.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I just find it stunning that a guy who went through that ill-fated trip to the majors well before he was ready and worked his way back through the minors to secure a 40 man roster spot and have a shot to actually contribute for the first time in the big leagues, if not out of spring training, but at some point when needed in the season, would choose now to give up on that chance. Timing of it from his perspective is what I don't understand.

as referenced in this thread, the brewers clearly had no intention of trying to preserve wang's second minor league option. they likely had already decided that he wouldn't be part of their 2018 plans.

Yah people keep referring to Wang “giving up”. The Brewers didn’t want him and obviously weren’t going to keep him around.

He has already made pretty darn good money the last few years and if you are just a fringe roster guy the foreign leagues can easily be more lucrative.

I just find it stunning that a guy who went through that ill-fated trip to the majors well before he was ready and worked his way back through the minors to secure a 40 man roster spot and have a shot to actually contribute for the first time in the big leagues, if not out of spring training, but at some point when needed in the season, would choose now to give up on that chance. Timing of it from his perspective is what I don't understand.

I would guarantee that Wang talked it over with Brewers brass, and was apprised of his chances of being a contributor to the MLB team both this season and in the future. I assume he was told that his chances weren't great. He was probably next on the list of potential 40-man spots to be freed up with a new acquisition. While this situation certainly isn't ideal, it isn't a detriment either.

Of course, I will be supremely disappointed 3 years from now when Wang makes a successful transition to the St. Louis Cardinals rotation after a strong Korean League run.

While I don't like losing players for nothing I don't see how it helps to keep players who don't want to be around. If they ask to leave for a better opportunity and we say no we end up with a Gary Sheffield situation. It would be different if they has some trade value and we let them walk but that really isn't the case with either of these players.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

What frustrates me about these moves is that the Brewers should try to either trade for other players in KBO or NPB, or to at least work out some arrangement where they can purchase a player from a team in NPB or KBO.

Such moves have be able to go both ways, don't they?

What frustrates me about these moves is that the Brewers should try to either trade for other players in KBO or NPB, or to at least work out some arrangement where they can purchase a player from a team in NPB or KBO.

They do, they get paid for giving the Korean team the rights. I think you need to understand for a Korean player to interest the Brewers that player would be MVP material in their league(Thames). That doesn’t make any sense for the Korean teams.

We just traded someone we didn’t even want for some money. Not like we just traded Lewis Brinson

I just never understood why it warranted calling him a bum.

The decision to use or not use him was entirely on Counsell and Stearns. If those guys had been called bums I wouldn't have had an issue with it because they are the decision-makers. Wang was doing his best, and like 90% of minor-leaguers their best isn't good enough. If it had been a Sheffield situation (publicly stating he was throwing balls in the stands to get traded, whether that's true or not) then I would embrace calling him a bum. But when the odds are that you will make ~$85K/year for most of the year as a minor-leaguer, or get a guaranteed $700K/year playing closer to home... I have no issue with taking the $700K/year.

So we should be allowed to seize a player from his home country and force him to play thousands of miles away?

Wang and TJ wanted to improve their lives and the Brewers were obviously fine with that.

Nothing to see here at all.

They do, they get paid for giving the Korean team the rights. I think you need to understand for a Korean player to interest the Brewers that player would be MVP material in their league(Thames). That doesn’t make any sense for the Korean teams.

We just traded someone we didn’t even want for some money. Not like we just traded Lewis Brinson

This reminded me that in a couple of instances teams have worked out partnerships where they share strategic information with a specific foreign team. One benefit of this partnership can be sharing internal player data. The Rangers recently announced such a partnership with NPB’s Nippon-Ham Fighters and the Red Sox have had an agreement with KBO’s Nexen Heroes. With the development and importance placed on analytical data gathered on players, I wouldn’t be surprised to see more teams enter into similar partnerships with NPB and KBO teams.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

So we should be allowed to seize a player from his home country and force him to play thousands of miles away?

Wang and TJ wanted to improve their lives and the Brewers were obviously fine with that.

Nothing to see here at all.

I have no problem with that, either.

But say the Brewers decide to establish a strategic partnership with the Hiroshima Carp of the Japan Central League or the Lotte Giants of KBO. But why not leverage that partnership to help players on both sides of the Pacific?

Assuming that a player like Wang or Jungmann want an opportunity, they'd have a ready destination for that opportunity. At the same time, that team could then give the Brewers a crack at a pitcher like Kazuki Yubata or Sae-woong Park.

It benefits both teams. The Carp wouldn't risk losing Yubata down the road for nothing (they get a replacement pitcher). The Brewers could have a prospect or two who's played at a higher level than AAA (NPB is AAAA, IMO). The players win out, too. Jungmann and Wang get opportunities, and the NPB or KBO players could get their shot at the majors.

Keeping him in 2014 was a mistake, and that's not just hindsight. In general, they didn't plan for the future enough before Melvin's last year, but then the one time they did make a move strictly for the future, they should have chosen something with more immediate benefits.

- On 6/28, they were 51-32 with a 3.5 game lead over the 2nd-best team in the NL and a 6.5 game lead in the Central.

- As of the ASB, K-Rod, Smith, and Duke were in the top-5 in appearances in all of baseball.

- After June, Smith's e.r.a. rose by nearly 2.5 runs.

- After July, Duke's e.r.a. rose by about 1.5 runs.

- K-Rod faltered as well briefly, but he got plenty of rest when they started losing and finished outside the top-10 in games.

- Wang's e.r.a. was over 10 that year.

So, while one reliable reliever instead of Wang wouldn't make much difference in a vacuum, the context strongly suggests that the Brewers' best relievers suffered from chronic overuse and there was a trickle-down effect that goes beyond Wang's brutal e.r.a. Of course Roenicke was a big part of the problem (that guy was a total clown IMO) and there was plenty of blame to go around, but I believe it was really short-sighted to use a roster spot on a guy like Wang in those circumstances. It was a great chance to make the playoffs and would probably be their last chance for years, and they should have been committed to that. I believe it showed supreme overconfidence to keep him when they clearly needed another reliever. I was happy they drafted him, but things changed when they started the year so strong.

In 2014 Wang made 4 appearances in April, 4 in May, 3 in June, 2 in July, and 1 in September. I think he went on the DL once he reached his required time to be on the 25 man so that explains his lack of use in July-September but before that he was pitching once a week, if that. I get that he sucked, I wont deny that. But the fact that Ron flat out refused to pitch him in any game that wasn't a blow out (13/14 appearances were Brewers losses and only 4 of those were losses by 4 or less) did not help Wang or the bullpen. I would find it hard to believe the front office was fully supportive of his use. He needed to be used more often just to give the rest of the bullpen a break. If Melvin thought he sucked he wouldn't have kept him on the roster all year.

All the "bum" talk is just stupid. It's not Wang's fault he was a Rule 5 pick or was on the 40 man the last few years with hardly any MLB time. The move back to Korea has to be 100% Wang's personal choice to go back home because his minor league numbers show a guy who should be on someone's 40 man roster, if not an MLB bullpen piece for a rebuilding team. A 2.73 ERA and 1.2 WHIP in Colorado Springs over 2 years in nothing to just brush off, especially when you look at his .189 AVG and .490 OPS against on the road last year.

I began to see Wang as a poor man's Jorge Delarosa. Granted, his chances were limited, but I never really saw anything in those appearances that made me think he had much upside. All indications are that he had/has great stuff, but he wasn't fooling anyone in the chances he got with the Brewers. Hitters really seemed to tee of on him. Now that he's left stateside, the odds of him turning into a productive MLB at some point in the future are slim to none.

Archived