Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Ernesto Frieri to MiLB deal

DR28
The Brewers have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with veteran righty Ernesto Frieri, reports MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand (on Twitter). The former Angels closer will be invited to Major League Spring Training and vie for a spot in the bullpen.

I love these shot in the dark type of signings. 99% of the time, we forget they even happened but you just never know.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Anybody else have the Trade Rumors app installed? I see the TR at the top of my screen and it continues to just be minor league stuff. Oh well, maybe next time. Frieri's just a filler. Can't see him pitching any meaningful innings for the big club outside of a handful of innings due to injury maybe. I guess a veteran with some history of success isn't a bad thing.

Maybe its just all coincidence, but it seems like the Brewers have transitioned the NRI pitcher strategy from 4A players (Snow, Espino, Barbosa) to MLB flameouts (Hoover, Fieri)

What's the difference between a 4A and an MLB flameout? Maybe a few years of age, but mainly opportunity. Pretty much the same pool of people

What's the difference between a 4A and an MLB flameout? Maybe a few years of age, but mainly opportunity. Pretty much the same pool of people

Guys who have had success in the past in MLB (Hoover’s 2012 and 2013/Frieri’s 2010-2012) but have seen their performance decline vs. guys who have never been given an extended look because of either middling stuff or good not great numbers in the minors. I guess they had Joba and Ryan Webb last season so maybe it is nothing.

While I don’t think he will make the team in spring, if he maintains the 30%+ K rate in AAA that he had last season I think he will find the MLB bullpen at some point.

FWIW, Frieri was in Tampa Bay during Arnold’s last season there.

• 1 month later...

Archived