Brewer Fanatic

Giants acquire McCutchen

KeithStone53151
My issue is that the Brewers are going to give a decent value to Broxton that the Giants should have no interest in paying. They could just get a defense-only CF to go with Hanson and Hernandez and just go the defense route or they can wait it out and squeeze Dyson or Maybin in under the threshold.

Either get a AAAA for a bag of balls that’s basically the same player as Broxton just with less power or get an equally valuable free agent.

On the chance that we trade Brinson for pitching or other non-CF asset, Broxton is a guy we probably want to keep around.

Although I was disappointed with his 2017 he could still be useful to us in a platoon role with Phillips.

Against lefties last year he OPSed .772 last year even in a stinker of a year. The year before, .916. Start him against every lefty and Phillips against every righty.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My issue is that the Brewers are going to give a decent value to Broxton that the Giants should have no interest in paying. They could just get a defense-only CF to go with Hanson and Hernandez and just go the defense route or they can wait it out and squeeze Dyson or Maybin in under the threshold.

Either get a AAAA for a bag of balls that’s basically the same player as Broxton just with less power or get an equally valuable free agent.

On the chance that we trade Brinson for pitching or other non-CF asset, Broxton is a guy we probably want to keep around.

Although I was disappointed with his 2017 he could still be useful to us in a platoon role with Phillips.

Against lefties last year he OPSed .772 last year even in a stinker of a year. The year before, .916. Start him against every lefty and Phillips against every righty.

The argument on that is Braun who's putting both Phillips/Broxton out there at least once a week outside that perfect platoon plan. But you're right, it makes valid sense that is a quality RH platoon player we have for CF.

I'd argue we may not have seen the best of Broxton. For what he produces, his BA and SO rate gets tagged because he misses such a high percentage of pitches he's correctly swinging at IN the Zone. This isn't he's swinging and missing at pitches well out of the zone. He could be just a minor tweak away from upping his contact pct on those swings, and clearly if he's making contact on the pitches more often he's supposed to swing at, he's striking out a lot less. Now of course he's a guy with great Exit velocity on contact, if he's adjusting a swing to improve on contact, where does that exit velocity turn to? So while his K rate may come down and his BA go higher, the HRs stay stagnant around 15-20 vs jumping up to 30.

Archived