Brewer Fanatic

Giants acquire McCutchen

KeithStone53151

Kyle Crick is part of the deal.

Bummer ... I was hoping Crick would be one of the pieces coming back for Broxton. Upper level power pitcher who has battled injury. Good candidate for the pen.

I think we're really overestimating the value of Broxton on this board.

Are we? A cheap 20-20 guy with several years of control and solid CF defense. 28 years old. I think Broxton is a perfect fit for the Giants.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We should unload Broxton to them to get Will Smith back and a lower tier prospect and call it a day.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We should unload Broxton to them to get Will Smith back and a lower tier prospect and call it a day.

If the Giants are going all in, wouldn't they want Smith in their pen?

Yeah that's about where I figure the Giants are. I wouldn't be surprised to see them try and compete for 1-2 years and then trade posey, let Bumgarner walk in FA, and do a full rebuild.

Would assume the Pirates will also explore moving Josh Harrison one season and two team option years remaining on his contract. The better question might be whether they consider moving guys with beyond 1-2 years of control? With the returns for these trades being players closer to MLB ready it strikes me as a team hoping to be relevant within a couple of years, but is it worth wasting two years of an elite reliever like Felipe Rivero when trading him could bring back a significant return?
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Are we? A cheap 20-20 guy with several years of control and solid CF defense. 28 years old. I think Broxton is a perfect fit for the Giants.

Personally, I think Broxton needs a LH platoon mate to get his full value to at least take some of the ABs.

If you put Broxton out there against a lot of RHP, while he is a good defender and still has a bit of pop, be ready for his .215/.290 BA/OBP against them. His splits got a little bit better this year, but I think a bit of it was an aberration.

I think teams might be better off just going out and signing Cameron Maybin, Rajai Davis, Melvin Upton (off the market), Austin Jackson to a 1 year deal. Those guys may all do it somewhat differently but can give you similar production.

It may cost more for one year, but with Broxton, his arbitration numbers will go up in the "advantage" of a longer deal.

From listening to the Buster Olney podcasts during and right after the season I heard there were over 100 (almost 125) players last season with 20+ homers hit. All those players means the value/ cost to acquire 'power' has dropped. Where 20 homers used to mean a player had very good power, it is now looked like a player that hit 10-12 a few seasons ago. Hence Broxton does not have as much value as people might think.

Also, ANYONE that hit 30 or more homers last season after NEVER doing it previously (majors or minors) is being looked upon with some skepticism. Hence Domingo Santana/ Frankie Lindor/ et al will need to do it again for many baseball execs to not view the power as a fluke.

I want to believe all can do it again. Time will tell. Until that happens though, value will be a little more difficult to guess..

Potentially having Jimmy Nelson back, and Pittsburgh becoming a team that you could potentially go 14-4 against, significantly improves the Brewers’ prospects in 2018. Too bad Cutch wasn’t traded out of the league, because the Giants are back in win-now mode, making a wildcard berth more difficult.

Except Cubs and Cards have same advantage.

Regarding Broxton, don't we simply remember that he was benched on our team last year? Can't be much value out there imo. Teams know that and they see the streakiness and the strikeouts. They know they can't rely on him as a starter, they'd take him as a flyer just like we did. That's about it

Regarding Broxton, don't we simply remember that he was benched on our team last year. Can't be much value out there imo. Teams know that and they see the streakiness and the strikeouts. They know they can't rely on him as a starter, they'd take him as a flyer just like we did. That's about it

I don't think Broxton has value to a contender. A 2nd division team in a rebuild looking for a flyer they can flip for prospects, one that can give him consistent playing time in CF? That team might give up a flyer worthy return. We shouldn't expect to get top 10 prospects or anything unless it's from the Angels or something.

From listening to the Buster Olney podcasts during and right after the season I heard there were over 100 (almost 125) players last season with 20+ homers hit. All those players means the value/ cost to acquire 'power' has dropped. Where 20 homers used to mean a player had very good power, it is now looked like a player that hit 10-12 a few seasons ago. Hence Broxton does not have as much value as people might think.

Also, ANYONE that hit 30 or more homers last season after NEVER doing it previously (majors or minors) is being looked upon with some skepticism. Hence Domingo Santana/ Frankie Lindor/ et al will need to do it again for many baseball execs to not view the power as a fluke.

I want to believe all can do it again. Time will tell. Until that happens though, value will be a little more difficult to guess..

This chart from Daren Williams shows home runs by team in 2017 and the photos show each player that hit 15+ home runs (164 players did so last season if I’m counting correctly). I think the current prevailing wisdom is that this time it is more likely to be the composition of the ball to blame.

DTnPfugX4AAFGwL?format=jpg&name=large

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Even with McCutchen, Broxton would be perfect for SF. Cutch and Pence on the corners, Broxton in CF. Plus the IF of Posey, Belt, Panik, Crawford and Longoria. It's a line up that would have killed in 2013 - but, in theory, could still be good.

SF is sitting around $190M salary. They really want to stay under the luxury cap ($197M) - and that makes Broxton so perfect. Cheap. And athletic -- he will cover a lot of ground in CF and help make up for McCutchen and Pence's lack of range.

The only problem is that SF doesn't have a lot to trade. Samardzija, Cueto and Bumgarner are needed to anchor the rotation. Melancon, Strickland, Will Smith, Gearrin and Dyson make a potentially okay bullpen (lots of age and injuries there).

I guess they could just go all in and trade Chris Shaw and/or Tyler Beede - although neither guy thrills me as a prospect.

Broxton definitely fits the cost need (for Now).

Good enough defense.

As I said before, platoon splits are worrisome when handing him an everyday role and trying to win a title as the Giants are.

Finally, I’m not sure the Giants will like him much at the plate. They always put good enough contact hitters out there in that park. Broxton is the anti-AT&T park hitter.

Beggers can’t be choosers, so maybe they’d trade something to acquire him, but I think they’d maybe be looking at other options.

I'm betting Pirates now go the sign to flip route and sign Melky Cabrera to replace McCutchen in their lineup.

I’ll take that bet, since he’s not a free agent

Sure about that? http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/kansas-city-royals/melky-cabrera-575/

I was, for some ungodly reason, thinking of Avi Garcia. Maybe it’s the thought that Cabrera could replace McCutchen is crazy, or I pictured both pudgy White Sox-no idea

Austin Jackson is also a FA and he is looking for more than a 1 yr deal (after doing that last season & playing well). I think that is the main reason the Tribe went out & signed Upton to a minor league deal w/ invite (like Jackson last season).

If Cain is not signed by SF, there are other FA possibilities for them to look at IF they don't like the trade cost for Broxton/ Naquin/ et al...

Broxton definitely fits the cost need (for Now).

Good enough defense.

As I said before, platoon splits are worrisome when handing him an everyday role and trying to win a title as the Giants are.

Finally, I’m not sure the Giants will like him much at the plate. They always put good enough contact hitters out there in that park. Broxton is the anti-AT&T park hitter.

Beggers can’t be choosers, so maybe they’d trade something to acquire him, but I think they’d maybe be looking at other options.

I think Broxton makes so much sense for the Giants. He has the big time speed to cover a ton of ground, not as much as Hamilton but the latter will cost far more in prospects and more in salary as he's already in arbitration. Also with Broxton, I don't think that park will suppress his power much. Most of his HR were not cheap. I know it isn't often, but if he connects...it's going a long way. With Broxton in CF I would say they have plus outfield defense with McCutchen and Pence.

Archived