Brewer Fanatic

Giants acquire McCutchen

KeithStone53151

My first thought, there goes the primary landing spot for Broxton.

Giants send right hander Kyle Crick and OF Bryan Reynolds in exchange for McCutchen and $2.5M cash.

Crick was once a top 100 prospect before being slowed by injuries and ineffectiveness. However, he rebounded the last year and posted solid number with SF over 29.1 innings.

The switch hitting Reynolds hit .312 at A+ ball with 10 HR. He is a former 2nd round pick (2016) He was the Giants 4th ranked prospect (in a weak system).

Edit: Added trade details to post.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Return not yet known. My first thought, there goes the primary landing spot for Broxton.

I always figured they were shooting a lot higher than Broxton but now that they have McCutchen who'll end up in LF, they might settle for Broxton in CF. That's if they don't get Cain as a FA. Brewers need to step up and grab Cain and so SF will still have hole to fill in CF.

McCutchen is owed $14 million and they are reportedly trying to stay under the luxury tax, so Cain doesn’t seem likely for them.

Maybe they also trade for Broxton and try to get the Brewers to take back a current salary obligation for a bigger return?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I'm trying to come up with what they might give up for one year of McCutchen. I doubt Shaw, Beede, or Ramos are moving, and I don't think the Giants have much for spare parts at the MLB level. Maybe they take an outfield prospect like Bryan Reynolds and a low level pitcher with upside?

Jon Heyman also mentioned that the Giants remain in the market for another outfielder even after acquiring McCutchen.

[sarcasm]If they are into Longoria and McCutchen, maybe they would be down with adding Braun as well.[/sarcasm]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Potentially having Jimmy Nelson back, and Pittsburgh becoming a team that you could potentially go 14-4 against, significantly improves the Brewers’ prospects in 2018. Too bad Cutch wasn’t traded out of the league, because the Giants are back in win-now mode, making a wildcard berth more difficult.

or...

Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle writes that "all the tea leaves tell me" the Giants are getting more serious in talks with free agent outfielder Lorenzo Cain.

The assumption was that the Giants wouldn't sign a qualifying offer free agent, but general manager Bobby Evans recently said that he wouldn't rule out the possibility. The club would have to surrender two draft picks (their second- and fifth-highest picks) and $1 million in international spending money in order to sign Cain. Schulman notes that there's "nothing close" while speculating that years could be an issue. Steven Duggar and Gorkys Hernandez are among the in-house options for center field, but the club has also been connected to Andrew McCutchen on the trade market. Admittedly, Cain would be vastly superior to McCutchen to patrol center field.

Source: Henry Schulman on TwitterJan 15 - 2:50 PM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

According to this guy, Ramos also isn't in the trade. This feels like it's going to be a bad deal for Pittsburgh.

Wouldn't surprise me if it is for someone like Aramis Garcia and an upper-level arm like Andrew Suarez, Joan Gregorio or Kyle Crick. Pirates seem to want older guys that are close to ML ready.

The Giants will very likely be the next White Sox or Astros in 2-3 years.

Either that, or they'll just keep buying more free agents (and probably not winning) for the next 5 or so. They still may stink in that period, but they have dead weight coming off the books in most forthcoming years.

The Giants will very likely be the next White Sox or Astros in 2-3 years.

Either that, or they'll just keep buying more free agents (and probably not winning) for the next 5 or so. They still may stink in that period, but they have dead weight coming off the books in most forthcoming years.

Ya, the Giants will very likely be the worst team in baseball in 2 or 3 years and have a crap farm system to boot. They've got to be the oldest team in their division and they may be the 4th best team in their division right now. Just a recipe for disaster.

I wonder if the Pirates are going to absorb Pence in this.

I doubt it, Pence and now McCutchen are the only reasonable or better outfielders on that roster.

So Crick is bullpen arm with significant team control, I feel like him alone is a very solid return for 1 year of McCutchen. Bullpen arms are skyrocketing in value, savvy move by the Pirates there.

Archived