Brewer Fanatic

Ji-Man Choi Signs with Brewers

Eye Black
I think that is reading too much into the move. Trading Thames to play Choi is a significant downgrade at the position.

In general, this. Choi has no impact on anything as it relates to the MLB roster. If Choi plays in Milwaukee then Thames and Aguilar are both hurt, Braun can't play 1B and Stearns can't find a better option via a trade.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that is reading too much into the move. Trading Thames to play Choi is a significant downgrade at the position.

In general, this. Choi has no impact on anything as it relates to the MLB roster. If Choi plays in Milwaukee then Thames and Aguilar are both hurt, Braun can't play 1B and Stearns can't find a better option via a trade.

Or Choi is hitting .400 with 25 HRs by July in Colorado Springs, and they are looking to catch lightning in a bottle.

Or Choi is hitting .400 with 25 HRs by July in Colorado Springs, and they are looking to catch lightning in a bottle.

Even then. Garrett Cooper and his .366 with 17 HR in 2017 say hello.

That theory has been disproven by pretty much every hitter we've brought up since going to Colorado Springs.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
of note: opt-out for choi before the end of spring training (i couldn't find the exact date), and also an opt-out date of 15 june if he plays for colorado springs and isn't on the major league roster by then.

reported here that the latter opt-out date is 15 may, not 15 june.

It is seeming like a possibility at least that Choi makes it over Aguilar. More value in LH bat? Was Aguilar slumping months worse than Choi's slumping months last year?

I guess if they consider Choi and Aguilar's bat equal ...

The bench on Braun at 1st days would be:

Thames (LH)

Sogard (LH)

Perez (RH)

Bandy (RH)

Aguilar/Choi (RH/LH)

on Braun in LF days:

Sogard (LH)

Perez (RH)

Bandy (RH)

Santana (RH)

Aguilar/Choi (RH/LH)

It seems to me we will have plenty of LH options off the bench consistently with Thames, Sogard, Villar ... the only thing I can see is that in games where Thames starts we won't have a power LH option and that is maybe where Choi can fill?

My guess is right now Aguilar is being shopped hard for any kind of ticket and if they can get it .. Choi is an option. If not, Choi is the 1B in AAA as insurance.

His projections are 236/324/431 he's not an MLB regular and there's no way we should be trading anyone to play Choi. He's had an awesome spring but it's nothing more than that.

26 yrs old with 60 total MLB games.

.305/.402/.497 in just under 2,000 career minor league PAs. I would argue his story isn't completed yet. Not advocating for him over Aguilar or anyone else for that matter... but might be a bit premature ending the kids career.

TH is trying to confirm if Aguilar has been traded to the Tigers.

He has MLB player and new Tiger on his twitter account apparently.

Nothing has leaked out yet on it though

Aguilar was traded in January to the Venezuelan Winter League version of the Tigers, the Aragua Tigers.

TH is trying to confirm if Aguilar has been traded to the Tigers.

He has MLB player and new Tiger on his twitter account apparently.

Nothing has leaked out yet on it though

Aguilar was traded in January to the Venezuelan Winter League version of the Tigers, the Aragua Tigers.

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So, how does making the OD roster impact the opt out? I assume it's still in play? It would be a pretty crappy move to have a guy on opening day, and then immediately option him to remove his opt out.

Well, he'd be on the 40-man and technically optioned, so I think that makes the opt-out void.

So, how does making the OD roster impact the opt out? I assume it's still in play? It would be a pretty crappy move to have a guy on opening day, and then immediately option him to remove his opt out.

Well, he'd be on the 40-man and technically optioned, so I think that makes the opt-out void.

I hadn't thought about that, but I'm not sure what the wording was. Can a player exercise an opt-out if they are on the 40 man roster?

Gruber Lawffices

Archived